A Classic Question? (2 Viewers)

For what it’s worth I just picked up a small tournament set of Majestics and really enjoy the color of the stacks on the table. Good feel and ultimately just thought Milanos to be a bit drab when I saw them in person.

You should find out where @sheikh617 is and go raid his house for dozens of samples. I know he's hoarding them :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, yes, samples samples samples. My Royals never smelled beyond slight plastic after they first arrived.

I bounced between ceramics, China Clay, and Paulsons and they all have benefits and drawbacks.

I am seriously considering a set of Majestics for my Craps setup.

I wonder if setting them out in a Yuma sun at 115F for a few days would "bake" the smell out if them?

Curious.

I wonder if setting them out in a Yuma sun at 115F for a few days would "bake" the smell out if them?

Curious.
This would damage real clay, let alone China clay.

Curious.
Close.......it would mostly just bake the hell out of them.

And very well may make the smell worse, by releasing gasses contained within the material.

Not to mention UV damage (likely to cause material breakdown and subsequent crumbling)

Plus damage to the sticker adhesive, possibly causing the chip labels to fall off.

Exposure to heat and direct sunlight are two of the worst things possible for chips, of any kind. Even in Yuma.

I purchased a set of Milanos a few years ago, but sold them after a few months and maybe a handful of games. I then bought a couple of other sets that were also "budget minded"--Laurel Crowns come to mind, but I forget the other one right now. I sold them after two games as well. I remember the other set now, Nile Club ceramics.

I finally decided that all this buying budget sets expecting to like them as much as the much smaller sets of more expensive chips that I owned ( Paulson Pharoahs for example) was just folly. I'd get them, but would always find something about them (usually sound and feel) that was disappointing enough that I just ended up selling them. I finally decided to just spend more money and get chips that I know I would like. So I bought 2000 Chipco chips during a .25c per chip clearance sale back in the CT days.

The moral of the story is buy samples and if you are not 100% in love with the samples, then maybe don't buy a set. I didn't want a set that was ok, but always left me looking for something better. That something better exists, but will cost more money.

My main issue with the Milanos was the feel. They just felt kind of cheap and plastic. I liked the looks, but they just didn't feel like chips that I wanted to keep long term.

EDIT: You may be able to find older sets that at the time were premium chips, but some may have on sale for a decent price now. There are some sets that I wish I had of been aware of at the time that are awesome and may be available now for a decent price. For example, I swapped sample sets with a member in the past, he traded me a sample set of Royal Yaks for a sample set of some of my chipcos, and I really, really like the Yaks. Great chips that I wish I had of got a set of back when they were originally available. If you could find something like that for a decent price, you'd be in great shape. Bear in mind, though, most sets go up in value, not down--particularly things like Paulsons.

I regret selling my Paulson Pharoahs, but the set was pretty tiny and I just could not see spending the money to fill it out to where I wanted it to be. In retrospect, all the buying and selling of sets that didn't hit that sweet spot for me, probably could have covered the cost of just getting my Pharoahs to where I wanted them to be. Now, if you can find them, they are like $3 to $4 per chip, I think.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom