A Board Game Poker Chip Design - Comments Appreciated (1 Viewer)

Matthias

Waiting List
Reaction score
For several years, I have now searched for the ideal generic poker chips for board games. After realizing that the newest attempt from Roxley (Iron Clays, see current Kickstarter campaign) will not meet my expectations, just like everything before, I started to design my own custom series.

Requirements for board games are a bit different than for Poker, please keep this in mind when looking at my designs. Many board games need some kind of money, but the necessary denominations vary a lot. Most commonly, you only need values between 1 and 10, but there are a lots of money transactions, so it is useful to have a denomination between 1 and 5, usually a 2, to avoid constant changing. The most common values for the cardboard money included in games is 1, 2, 5.

Some games, however, do not start with 1, but count in tens or hundreds, i.e. you could equally well need 100, 200, 500 instead of 1, 2, 5. In certain heavy economic games, you need a large numbers of different denominations because money transactions can range from a single to a few thousands of money units. A board game set has to account for every possible situation.

As a consequence, I decided that I need 10 denomination: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500, 2000 -- the full set which is also common in the 18xx train games genre. I wanted to be flexible for everything. (I omitted 1000 in favor of 2000 to get more range at the upper end). Usually, board games need 3-5 consecutive values -- somewhere in this series. For games with a large range of values, you could equally well leave every second denomination in the chip case, ending with the classic 1, 5, 20, 100, 500, 2000 series (or some part of it). Usually, you need a subset, but you do not know which one.

Designing 10 chips is not that easy. It decided for go for labels and use Apache Majestic Blanks as base. Here is my result:

MeepleKings_V43.png

All comment from the Poker Chip experts here in this forum are appreciated! :)

And let me add another question: Everything I did so far is designed with InkScape. This free program does not support CYMK, only RGB. How far is my way to something I can to use to contact a label manufacturer? Or do they accept SVG as input? Any advice on color reproduction?

BTW: Color blindness simulation (for Deuteranopia):

MeepleKings_V43_CB.png

Can you make these issued by a fictional bank that would be universally accepted across board games?

If you are looking to accommodate many universal games, I'd ditch the fancy doodad graphics and text and just make the denominations larger.

And some board game 'experts' (not me) claim that the 20 chip should be grey.

I agree with @BGinGA and would scrap the text. Think "Dominion". The coins used in that game (provided you have the appropriate expansion) are just gold coins with numbers. The Apache idea is right on target. Other successful Kickstarters also used generic, large denom designs...

As an avid gamer, I think "traditional" colors are best, but if you play one game more frequently than others I would stick to the colors that they use for their money.

We host game nights (in addition to poker nights) and have found that poker chips, in poker denominations, work just fine. Sometimes we have to combine a cash game set with a tournament set, but everyone still finds the chips preferable to the paper money. Those that do not play poker do not have issues with the chips. By using traditional colors, there is little risk of dirty stacks.

Also, using traditional poker denominations, I have not found any reason to have a 2, a 10, or a 2000. The 50s can be helpful in some games, but when playing a game where 50s are played more frequently, I use a 25 chip instead of a 20 and the game flows perfectly.

I am certainly not against another set of "gaming tokens" to hit the market, but there is no need to overthink it.

If you are looking to accommodate many universal games, I'd ditch the fancy doodad graphics and text and just make the denominations larger.

And some board game 'experts' (not me) claim that the 20 chip should be grey.
While I agree with this, holy crap, Meeple Kings! Yes! I think these are a bit more limited in regards to board games where they are strictly used for financial transactions, victory points, etc., but how does every gamer out there not want a set of the Meeple Kings! If anything, I would say to switch out a couple of the graphics for even more widely recognized meeples and pieces.

I've seen these threads pop up and think that's cool and move along, but something like this makes it through, I'm in!

While I agree with this, holy crap, Meeple Kings! Yes! I think these are a bit more limited in regards to board games where they are strictly used for financial transactions, victory points, etc., but how does every gamer out there not want a set of the Meeple Kings! If anything, I would say to switch out a couple of the graphics for even more widely recognized meeples and pieces.

I've seen these threads pop up and think that's cool and move along, but something like this makes it through, I'm in!

CPC Meeple Kings on the scrown mold ftw

If anything, I would say to switch out a couple of the graphics for even more widely recognized meeples and pieces.
Any ideas for this? One advantage of classic euro-style piece is that they are somewhat abstract and not connected to one specific game only. It does not really matter if you do not recognize them as being part of one game. (Additionally, it prevents me from advancing too far on IP-protected territory.)

I use/am learning inkscape 0.91 which seems to support CMYK colors. In the fill and stroke window, under the flat color choice for fill or stroke there is a CMYK button; it's two to the right of the RGB button.

For labels I used Gear Labels, a PCF vendor in Canada, with great results. If you have yet to order the labels, I'd check with the label maker you plan to use about acceptable formats.

Also, custom ceramics might be a similar cost to Majestic blanks with custom labels.

Edit: I see in the thread: Sammelbestellung /Group Buy - Brettspiel Chips - Boardgame Victory Points Chips you are going with ceramics.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom