94o in UTG+2 (1 Viewer)

Gunnar

Flush
Reaction score
So little backstory. The night is young. We are playing 100/200kr ( 1/2 USD )

I know villain well, she is a LAG but a fairly skilled player and a good dealer. She plays 4-5 times a week.

I started with 20K stack and she similar. She has already rebought 3 times and in all times I knocked her out.
I straddle with QQ and she missed AK, I hit my 1010 on a A105 board, and then she had an A and I hit a flush. So she is quite pissed at me.

So here we are 2 hours at the table. She it UTG and Im UTG+2
Her stack 54K ish ( bought in for 50 last time )
My stack 114K ish ( most her money )

She straddles 500
UTG +1 re straddle 1500
I re re straddle 4000
Fold to her and she flats 4000
UTG+1 folds.
I look down at :9d::4s:
I flat.

Pot 9800

Flop :as::ks::9h:

She checks
I pet half a pot 5000
She Calls

Pot 19800
Villain has 45K left.

Turn is :9s:

Villain shoves

What do we do !?

man... I just spent 5 minutes using a calculator to convert the Kr to $ so it'd make sense to me. I'm still confused. He shove is $450? into a pot of $200? Wow, why do that? Does she put you on a draw? Is she trying to protect her Ax type hand? I mean, to simply flat the straddle with AK? She seems competent, I'd assume a raise with any AK or AA/KK type hands. And she Might have :qs::jc: and has the nut spade? and a gutter to broadway? or a hand like :ad::ts: and she thinks she has Aces up with a K kicker (and a spade draw)?

I'm still confused by the hand, but the board has blockers to big hands that have you beat. And if she was THAT strong, why shove $450 into $200? Trying to make it impossible to call....? I'm still thinking you're ahead here.

I see we are missing Hero's table image. It really doesn't matter a lot, but it would have been nice to know.

I think Hero has to call a tilting villain. Trips nines is on the strong side of Hero's range. I find it a little odd if villain makes such a big bet with a hand better than Hero's trip nines / no kicker. I would be looking for the exit vs many villains but a tilting LAG often becomes a chip spewing machine.

Villain could be semi bluffing or worse a lot. Hero would find folds for almost all of his one pair hands that didn't have a good flush draw to go with it. Both of you know how passive the preflop play was, Hero is even less likely to have a premium hand than villain is. I am wary of assuming much about villain's preflop flat - she could be on a monster expecting Hero to raise his double straddle. Not having a read of Hero's table image it is hard to say if villain flatting AA would be genius or an idiot play.

Good luck! -=- DrStrange

The AK means you aren’t outkicked by most of the hands with a 9. You have a spade to boot. This feels like a call.

Snap her off, a LAG isn't going to overbet a hand here that beats trips. She probably has an ace with no kicker which the nine on the turn makes it not a concern for her anymore.

She just wants to take the pot down now and not have another spade fall on the river. Punish her and to quote Tony G:

Hands that would value bet AA , KK , Qxs, A9, K9
Hands that could be shoving JxS, AK, A strong kicker, KQ ?
I cant see AK and a strong ace , check that flop.
So that leaves us with JxS and Kx

Agree ? Am I missing something ?

I think it's safe to assume villain will be tilty and spewy in a spot like this - which makes calling seem safe. V can do this with a lot of mediocre holdings like pair +straight draw or pair + flush draw. The A and K on the board means you'll likely be chopping with any other 9 villain could have.

That said, you're probably not posting this because things went great for you. V could have just about any two spades and continue pre and on the flop if she is feeling spewy. Sometimes when you're stuck and tilting, you just shove to try and get a call and get some of your money back. I'm interested to see how it shook out for you.

Villain ended up with a really good semi-bluff hand. I bet she wishes she had raised preflop . . . not saying Hero would have folded 94o to a raise, but I surely would and Hero likely should fold.

Grats on the win -=- DrStrange

PS I couldn't help but comment on villain's backwards play in this hand. She never bet while ahead (pre-flop and on the flop), then as soon as she is behind on the turn bets her entire stack. These types of lines are strong signs that it is time to go home.

I also think buying in bigger after painful losses is a serious error. If villain had bought in for 100bb and played this hand "normally" - i.e. raise preflop with AQo, bet the flop with top pair + good kicker, most times hero folds. But even if Hero donkey calls with 94o and calls again holding bottom pair no kicker such that villain lost the hand - at least villain wasn't stupid while losing her money.

Last edited:
Rather than discuss the overall play of this hand I have more of a question. I don't get this whole straddle thing. Why in the world would someone re re straddle for 4000? And 9 4 are you kidding me? I totally don't get this so please explain this process.

Rather than discuss the overall play of this hand I have more of a question. I don't get this whole straddle thing. Why in the world would someone re re straddle for 4000? And 9 4 are you kidding me? I totally don't get this so please explain this process.

Straddle is gambling and gambling is fun.

As for 9-4, you straddle before cards are dealt

Hands that would value bet AA , KK , Qxs, A9, K9
Hands that could be shoving JxS, AK, A strong kicker, KQ ?
I cant see AK and a strong ace , check that flop.
So that leaves us with JxS and Kx

Agree ? Am I missing something ?

Maybe baby flushes, but I think you have to call here.

Or you can re re straddle for 8X and get 9 4 off......:ROFL: :ROFLMAO: But hey its is gambling and if it works what the heck. I'll pass.
Well it deepens the pot making fishes loose money faster. It also makes other players straddle and that is good for everyone. And ofcourse it makes me look more loose when playing tight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom