9 foot table build (1 Viewer)

I’d love to build the same, so I’ll be following this thread. You’re obviously more experienced than me, but my first thought would be to have the felt portion use a full 4x8 sheet, while building the rail out from that with a couple 9’ 2x4s on the sides, and plywood curves on the ends.

I’d love to build the same, so I’ll be following this thread. You’re obviously more experienced than me, but my first thought would be to have the felt portion use a full 4x8 sheet, while building the rail out from that with a couple 9’ 2x4s on the sides, and plywood curves on the ends.
I know I can probably use thinner plywood and off set it to make my own 9x4 sheets but of course the concern would be how well it would hold up with screws glue ect. If I Can't get any ideas from here I will just go with it! If successful I will share pics on here!

I also plan to build a 9x4 table in the near future. My plan is to either find a 9x4 boardroom table (with the same shape as an oval poker table), or an even bigger one and cut that down, or glue a piece of plywood to the end of an 8x4 sheet of plywood (probably using dowels), then do the same to a supporting piece for underneath. Then glue the two pieces together with lots of glue and screws, remembering to stagger the joints.

Well here goes nothing. Since I cannot find plywood bigger than 4x8 I have used 3/8 sheets. I bought 5 put three on the bottom and then set the other two one foot apart. I then used the leftover to fill in the one foot sections. Lots of glue and lots of screws and I now have 2 3/4 inch 4x9 sheets of plywood. Supplies come in next week and I work all weekend so this is where it’s at.

They're expensive but IMHO 10' sheets of plywood are worth it to avoid having to join sheets together.
Could not find 10 foot sheet but yes that would definitely be the way to go if available!

Attachments

• 136F11E1-73A9-4E20-AA20-202A9881B266.jpeg
    136F11E1-73A9-4E20-AA20-202A9881B266.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 142
Well the table is done! I couldn’t be more impressed! 9 feet sure adds a huge difference for comfort! The table will see its first action tomorrow night!

Well the table is done! I couldn’t be more impressed! 9 feet sure adds a huge difference for comfort! The table will see its first action tomorrow night!
I will go with drink tables instead of cup holders built into the rail to prevent spills etc.

Attachments

• 0F1DA7E7-2F5E-4FE2-8927-833AFB37470A.jpeg
    0F1DA7E7-2F5E-4FE2-8927-833AFB37470A.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 206
  • AA379776-26FB-48A9-B5F5-9524B340E8B8.jpeg
    AA379776-26FB-48A9-B5F5-9524B340E8B8.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 199
Well here goes nothing. Since I cannot find plywood bigger than 4x8 I have used 3/8 sheets. I bought 5 put three on the bottom and then set the other two one foot apart. I then used the leftover to fill in the one foot sections. Lots of glue and lots of screws and I now have 2 3/4 inch 4x9 sheets of plywood. Supplies come in next week and I work all weekend so this is where it’s at.

Could not find 10 foot sheet but yes that would definitely be the way to go if available!
A 9 ft table sounds great. Has it held up well? Not flimsy at the ends with two 3/8" screwed together?

Are you saying that you offset 2 3/8" sheets by 1 foot, screwed/glued that together.
Then cut 2 1ft x 4ft pieces from a 3rd to fill in the offset. Again screwed/glued. Now have 1 3/4" 9ft sheet
Then repeat both previous steps to create a 2nd sheet of 3/4" x 9ft
Then cut the rounded ends on both, and cut the oval from the 2nd created sheet to use as the rail?

A 9 ft table sounds great. Has it held up well? Not flimsy at the ends with two 3/8" screwed together?

Are you saying that you offset 2 3/8" sheets by 1 foot, screwed/glued that together.
Then cut 2 1ft x 4ft pieces from a 3rd to fill in the offset. Again screwed/glued. Now have 1 3/4" 9ft sheet
Then repeat both previous steps to create a 2nd sheet of 3/4" x 9ft
Then cut the rounded ends on both, and cut the oval from the 2nd created sheet to use as the rail?
It has held up awesome! Absolutely no issues!

I'm late to your thread, your table came out great. Anytime I build a table over 8' I laminate plywood for a couple reasons. I can get 10' x 4' sheets of plywood but it's $200 a sheet and not strong enough (too flexible) for that large of table. I typically use 3/4" and 1/2" together giving you 1.25" base. Depending on the customer some get 1.5" base board. I do the same as far as plenty of good glue and screw it together. I always take the screws back out but you can leave them in if you like. Anyone else doing this make sure you look at your plywood before adding screws. We know that most plywood is not perfect and will have some bow. You can move your saw horses in or out and eyeball down the sides. Start in the middle with screws and work your way to the ends checking it along the way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom