8 x 4 poker table build for a good cause! (1 Viewer)

turn2

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So hears the deal.

I have build a few poker table in my time (the last 4-5 years). Ive built 3 8 x 4 tables, 2 with peds and one with folding legs and 2 5' round tables with peds. I build all my table out of 3/4 ply from the cheapest place I can find it, I use table kits from the cheapest website I van find them at including vinyl, HD rail foam and playing surface foam. I cannibalize other tables for peds and legs wherever I can find them. Now that's for tables that I keep for my own purposes.

I have never built a table for another person, but one of my regular players asked me at my last game if I would build a table if her and a couple folks from her church all chip in for the materials if i will build the table for an auction for some charitable entity. Not sure what the charity is. I was flattered that they like my table so much that they think others would actually pay for a a table I build.

I did agree to build the table, but i have never built a table with all the "finishing" touches. I usually just stack the cutouts on top of each other after I have covered them and use the damn thing. I have no idea how to make the table look finished and not have a small amount of raw wood showing from the bottom or whatever.

I would really appreciate a few pointers here from anyone who has built a table. I can take a few pics if that help explain what I need help with.

Thanks in advance for any help.

T_Chan should chime in here. He builds some very nice tables and I'm sure he can give you a few tips.

I would try the poker table forum for the advice you seek and many pictures

Some wood showing underneath the table is no big deal. It's the under side, it's not supposed to be seen. That being said, I and many other table builders still put finishing touches on the underside of tables.

If you want to "dress" up the underside of the table, then I recommend you get some nice plywood, something cabinet grade. Any wood which will be showing underneath the table can be stained and then polyurethane'd. At that point, you'll still be able to see wood from underneath the table, but it will look nice.

If that's not really what you're talking about, then pics would help explain.

Ive thought about staining. I was thinking in the way of building a skirt with Masonite or something flexy to go around the edge to cover up the underside. I guess staining would be a lot less work though. I just want it to look pretty so it will bring a lot of to the church, not that the Catholic church isn't rich enough ;)

I think if I can leave some of the playing surface padding off around the edges where the rail is going to sit, that might leave less of a reveal, then staining would make more sense for me.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Some wood showing underneath the table is no big deal. It's the under side, it's not supposed to be seen. That being said, I and many other table builders still put finishing touches on the underside of tables.

If you want to "dress" up the underside of the table, then I recommend you get some nice plywood, something cabinet grade. Any wood which will be showing underneath the table can be stained and then polyurethane'd. At that point, you'll still be able to see wood from underneath the table, but it will look nice.

If that's not really what you're talking about, then pics would help explain.

If you're looking to cover up the edges of the plywood, then you can get iron-on veneer edge banding. It's sold at any hardware store. You just use a regular clothes iron to apply it. It can then be stained or just sanded to leave a nice finished edge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom