8-Ball Clay Cash Set (2 Viewers)

Joe Harris

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
One of my friends is helping me with some nifty graphics for some ceramics. In the meantime, I'm considering the possibility of a CPC clay cash set. I like the idea of solids but also having nifty looking stacks, so I've settled on a solid-themed design. Except for the big value chip, but I think we all agree the big value chips deserve a little something extra.

For an inlay, one side will be based upon the '8-ball' as pictured in the graphic on the race car. The other, the chip's value. This will hopefully avoid any confusion about the number 8 in terms of chip value.

Chip values: 25¢, $1, $5, $25

This is my first ever chip design prototype, be nice :)

8ball_cash_mock_v1.png
8ball.jpg

I'm definitely interested in following this thread.

I like the idea a lot.

The existing $25 seemed a little busy, so in an attempt to clean it up I decided to drop the black for the high values, but maintain the solid-themed aspect. Hopefully that would help to give those chips some visual punch in a large pot. I also added a $100 chip just for fun.
8ball_v3.png

I like these in post #5, cant wait to see some graphics, I love the old school cars.

IMO to much black. The retro green and dark green are very dark. Might not be able to tell the difference between colors on that chip.

Liking the blue and brown chips.

IMO to much black. The retro green and dark green are very dark.
I agree. To that end, I've brightened the #2 ($1) & #3 ($5). I also reworked the low end spot progression, added #6 ( possible NCV).

Circle square mold is a must IMO.
I decided to change the mold to hourglass simply because it kinda looks like a tire. Why do you consider circle square a must?

I like these in post #5, cant wait to see some graphics
I'll be working on the inlays on Sunday when my designer friend is available to do it for me :D
v9.png

I strongly suggest that you get samples..... both color samples and mold samples. Colors always look different irl, and you may find that you hate the way the hourglass mold looks/feels/sounds in person.

I strongly suggest that you get samples..... both color samples and mold samples. Colors always look different irl, and you may find that you hate the way the hourglass mold looks/feels/sounds in person.
Yeah I will be doing that for sure..I think it would be kind of weird to be willing to spend $3000+ on custom chips without first spending a small fraction of that to make sure the colors/mold are what you expect. I'm sure after I see them in person I will rework the entire set. Are there any colors notorious for being not the same as their on-screen representations?

Just a suggestion. Cali colored set. Black $20. Circle square mold is a must IMO.

View attachment 15202

Great mock-up... That Cali $20 is just SICK although I think it works even better as Vegas hundos... I will file that as a favorite option for a future hundo for my next set if you don't mind Paul... Already have three large sets in the works so it might take a while...

Did some work on chip design.. also got extreme rough prototype of 8-Ball graphic for the inlay. Too bad the design tool doesn't show the chip colors through where there's transparency. This inlay is better than nothing though..nice to see things in context. The other inlay side with the chip value/etc isn't ready yet.

25¢ - $1 - $5 - $20 (or $20)
$100 - No val

8_ball_inlay1.png

Way too much black/dark for my tastes. Pretty interesting black chip, though very busy in stacks.

Did some work on chip design.. also got extreme rough prototype of 8-Ball graphic for the inlay. Too bad the design tool doesn't show the chip colors through where there's transparency. This inlay is better than nothing though..nice to see things in context. The other inlay side with the chip value/etc isn't ready yet.

$100 - No val

View attachment 15341
simple, i like simple

edit: this is in reference to the design, not the edgespots

could also consider color matching the 8 with each primary chip color, interesting idea

$100 - No val

View attachment 15341

What do you mean by transparency? Are you planning on hotstamps?

could also consider color matching the 8 with each primary chip color, interesting idea
Yeah that was the intention. The follow through isn't quite there yet. I was hoping the tool would show the chip colors through if there was a transparency in the inlay. I assume that CPC is gonna be better at color matching then I, so I figured I'd see if they could fill in the blanks. I think I'll just write a little tool to fill in the alpha pixels in a given PNG with some given color, so I can have an easy pipeline for re-colorizing images when I rework base colors.

Way too much black/dark for my tastes. Pretty interesting black chip, though very busy in stacks.
Yeah I'm not super happy with the $100 yet, but it's getting there. The former brown $100 wasn't working with these colors. I'm not sure about too dark, I need to get some color samples for sure.

Also not sure CPC can do transparent inlays..... have you checked with David?

Also not sure CPC can do transparent inlays..... have you checked with David?
not sure if they do transparency, but they do a pretty good job at color matching inlays to the main chip color from what ive seen from other CPC orders. you def need to get a sample set though if you dont already have one

Favorite chip of these? Least favorite?

- Brighter colors for $1, $5, $25, No Val
- Much simpler $100
- Rotate edges to match inlay better
8ball_inlay2.png

I like that latest set a lot. Brilliant idea on the spot rotation. Not sure that these can be improved. Of course, you can slightly tilt your head and see that they can be created 'straight-up', too. They will only look slanted if you look at them slanted.

You mention "$1, $5, $25, No Val, and $100" -- are those theoretical denominations (assigned to specific colors), or are those values going to be displayed on the reverse side, or is the final 8-ball inlay going to contain them too?

You mention "$1, $5, $25, No Val, and $100" -- are those theoretical denominations (assigned to specific colors)
Yes. In order left -> right, top -> down, the values I'm thinking are:
25¢, $1, $5, $20/25, $100, No Value

I thought it might be interesting to have a $4 chip instead of a $5. I like big stacks, so having slightly less valuable chips therefore increases the stack size by a bit. Additionally, the idea of a $20 chip is appealing, but the •4 ratio to a $5 is a bit lacking in my mind. Simply put, with a $20 chip, I am inclined to also have a $4 chip; $25 begets a $5er. Any thoughts on that idea?

Of course, you can slightly tilt your head and see that they can be created 'straight-up', too.
Indeed. It's more about the spirit of the 8-ball.

are those values going to be displayed on the reverse side
Yes, along with a bit of text and possibly a graphic of a lion, partially inspired by the bear on the rounders chips.

Not sure that these can be improved.
Thanks! I dunno, that hundo isn't quite right yet... :D

I've settled on a solid-themed design.

I've wandered a bit from that initial design plan, but I've got 21 iterations of the design for this set in the tool now..a bit of wander was the point. I think it's in a pretty good spot. Unfortunately the inlay design is taking a while to proceed. I may have to find someone else to work on them, but I'll give my friend some more time to make progress. Anyway, I thought I would get people's thoughts on revision 21.

The chips are:
25¢, $1, $5, $25
$100, Noval

For the $100, I'd really like the 4TA181418 spot pattern, but as that's not available in the tool I'm using a placeholder.

21.png

I am also considering getting a rack of $8 chips to be dubbed "8-balls", given the theme. They would probably have black as a base color.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom