7 Aces, showdown game rules. (1 Viewer)

Rhodeman77

Straight Flush
Reaction score
After watching the flips between @Windwalker and @Goldfish at DiD2, it reminded me of a showdown game my local group likes to play during breaks of tournaments or the end of cash games for odd dollars.

The game is called 7 Aces, because that is the best possible hand.

Each player is dealt 7 cards (7 players max can play)

Like in other showdown games each player flips over cards until they have the best hand or run out of cards and are out of the game.

2’s and all suited connectors in your hand are wild. So if you have :2c::4h::5h::8s::9s::jh::kc: For example you would have 6 kings as your final hand. As the 2,4,5,8,9 are all wild.

A wild card can’t change the top card of the hand. So the the above hand can’t be 6 aces. If a player had 7 wild cards, the highest ranking card is what they will have 7 of a kind of.

Hand ranks are standard up to straight flushes. Any 5 of a kind beats a SF, any 6 of a kind beats a 5 of a kind and any 7 of a kind beats any 6 of a kind. 7 aces is the best hand possible. To have 7 aces a player must have at least 1 natural ace in their hand.

The game can be played as a regular betting game dealt like 7 card stud as well, limit is the only way it should be played. Try it out at your next tournament break and let me know how your group likes it. The fun becomes when people are trying to figure out what card they can catch to make 3 or more wild cards!

Looks fun! Do the suited connectors have to be adjacent in the hand or could the 4h be the 1st card flipped and the 5h be the last card flipped and both still be wild?

We play something similar except there are no set wilds - as we're flipping, when each player gets to the halfway card (or the card before) of their pile of cards, they get to pick one of their already exposed card values to be wild. And more natural beats less.

Order of the deal does not matter for the wild cards. It is normal for players to rearrange their hand to put the wild cards together to make it easy to see what their hand rank is.

Like in other showdown games each player flips over cards until they have the best hand or run out of cards and are out of the game.
Neat idea. A few questions if you don't mind:

How does the betting work? I understand that a player turns over a card to start the game - but then what? Does that player have the option to check or bet? Can anyone bet or raise? Is there an ante to begin?

Or do you play with a fixed amount like a forced ante after each player's turn is over?

Hand ranks are standard up to straight flushes. Any 5 of a kind beats a SF, any 6 of a kind beats a 5 of a kind and any 7 of a kind beats any 6 of a kind. 7 aces is the best hand possible. To have 7 aces a player must have at least 1 natural ace in their hand.
You'd never make a straight flush, would you? Since all suited connected cards become the highest value card showing, that would be converted to 5 of a kind, right?

Obviously aces are hi - but what about :ah::kh:? Is that considered a suited connector? Same with :2h::3h:?

Are there any special rules for 6 and 7 card hands at showdown? For example, if a player made 4 of a kind and 3 of a kind with a board like :ah::ad::2d::as::4d::4h::4s: does that have extra showdown value?

Last question: Do naturals beat wilds at showdown? i.e. if one person's hand is :ah::2d::2h::2s:X X X and another's is :ac::ad::ah::2s: X X X is this a split pot?

After watching the flips between @Windwalker and @Goldfish at DiD2, it reminded me of a showdown game my local group likes to play during breaks of tournaments or the end of cash games for odd dollars.

The game is called 7 Aces, because that is the best possible hand.

2’s and all suited connectors in your hand are wild. So if you have :2c::4h::5h::8s::9s::jh::kc: For example you would have 6 kings as your final hand. As the 2,4,5,8,9 are all wild.

A wild card can’t change the top card of the hand. So the the above hand can’t be 6 aces. If a player had 7 wild cards, the highest ranking card is what they will have 7 of a kind of.

The game can be played as a regular betting game dealt like 7 card stud as well, limit is the only way it should be played. Try it out at your next tournament break and let me know how your group likes it. The fun becomes when people are trying to figure out what card they can catch to make 3 or more wild cards!

Anything that encourages wild cards is no bueno for me. Fucking follow the queen is always getting called around here. I despise that game. I would just fold without looking but some asshat decides they want everybody to ante $2 in a $50 max buyin game to "build the pot" in a game where nobody folds anyways. Now I am forced to sit out and look like a douche or play bingo.

Fuck wild cards.

<Rant paused....never over>

Neat idea. A few questions if you don't mind:

How does the betting work? I understand that a player turns over a card to start the game - but then what? Does that player have the option to check or bet? Can anyone bet or raise? Is there an ante to begin?

Or do you play with a fixed amount like a forced ante after each player's turn is over?

You'd never make a straight flush, would you? Since all suited connected cards become the highest value card showing, that would be converted to 5 of a kind, right?

Obviously aces are hi - but what about :ah::kh:? Is that considered a suited connector? Same with :2h::3h:?

Are there any special rules for 6 and 7 card hands at showdown? For example, if a player made 4 of a kind and 3 of a kind with a board like :ah::ad::2d::as::4d::4h::4s: does that have extra showdown value?

Last question: Do naturals beat wilds at showdown? i.e. if one person's hand is :ah::2d::2h::2s:X X X and another's is :ac::ad::ah::2s: X X X is this a split pot?
Normally the game is played as a showdown game. Meaning everyone puts in $xx and there is no betting. If you wanted to have betting it is played as 7 card stud would be played and should be played as limit.

Above straight flush it only goes to 5, 6, 7 of a kind. It can get tricky enough with all the possible wild cards. Creating other strange hand like a 7 card full house is asking for trouble.

As far as natural vs wild we don’t make any distinction. If both players have 5 aces it doesn’t matter how they make it.

Any 2 or more cards in a row if the same suite are wild. So AKhh are both wild. 23hh are both wild. A2hh are also wild.

If you have a natural straight flush AKQJT of spades you would have at least 6 of a kind as they would all be wild and whatever one of your other cards is would be what you play the wild cards with.

As shown above by @Frogzilla a royal straight flush is very possible as your best hand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom