5 year Redbelly plan departs in DAYS and I am CELEBRATING! (2 Viewers)

Redbelly

Flush
Reaction score
Well, the 5 year Redbelly plan departs in DAYS and I am CELEBRATING!
(this is long but the ending is really good!)

This past New Year’s Eve I popped a nice bottle of champagne and raised a glass to my lovely wife Sumer! 2017 was here! While I’m not one to want time to race by, 2017 was a year that we had been looking forward to a LOT! 2017 was to be the year that would have my wife and I see our youngest graduate from high school thus providing us an empty nest! Sumer and I have raised 2 incredible boys into 2 fine gentlemen with a firm foundation to start their journeys into life and that in and of itself is a lot to celebrate! Due to my divorce in 03 we also were not going to be under any kind of control/ leverage by an ex wife most certainly destined for the hottest corners of…. well… you get the point! My oldest son is proudly serving in the Air National Guard as a load master on a C-130 and pursuing flying having completed his year long training! My youngest is off to proudly serve in the Army in just days! This father can't get more proud! Finally we should also be rolling into Denver to settle down and enjoy just driving to work! (currently all my trips originate in Las Vegas however I live in Seattle so it adds about a day each week in additional commuting time but it was important for Sumer and I to stay a part of our boys lives so completely worth it!)

But that Denver plan kind of changed last year when Sumer talked me into an all summer long road trip! (More on that shortly!)

2017 was not without it’s down moments however, and there were a couple of big ones and part of the reason I’ve been a bit absent from posting here. In April I was all set to finally attend Tom’s (Mr. Tree) meet up, Shoot Out at the Post, when my Grandfather began to quickly decline in health. Cancelling my meet up plans, I arrived to be with him just 3 days before he passed. Both my sister and I were with him at his bedside when he passed. His influence on both our lives is beyond explanation here but he was a father to us both and loved without end! He was always there for us and we were always there for him. Even though a few months short of his 98th birthday it was still too soon. I do need to pause here and say that, while I did not post his passing here, I did communicate it with the members attending the Shoot Out at the Post and everyone was amazing in their support! I was deeply touched, thank you! This community is amazingly special in their support for each other!

Now this next part is a bit interesting but worth sharing I guess… my mother also passed away this year but at the end of June just a couple of months after my Grandfather. Not a total surprise as she had been ill for awhile. She didn't keep in touch with family much mostly due to her husband but we had spoken a couple of times right after her dad’s passing (see above). Her husband has always been a real gem, not really. Just how MUCH of a “not real gem he was” was discovered after I tried to contact my Mom during the 2nd week in July for some questions I had concerning my Grandfather’s Estate (I am/ was the executor) and was told that my mother had passed more than two weeks earlier! … then promptly hung up on me. Yup! Knew he was an ass but really? I’m fine but just amazed at the contrast between some humans on occasion! Oh well… turns out they DO make enough bourbon to get over that kind of shock!

Let’s now move on to more POSITIVE… a 5 year plan altered… back to the road trip!

Leading into the summer of 2016 my wife thought it would be fun to take an extended road trip, visit friends, see places, and generally spend quality time with each other and with our youngest son! I really did NOT want to go on an all summer long road trip but I usually lose in these sort of things and this was no exception! We covered 7500 miles in a Ford Fusion with 2 dogs and sometimes my youngest son! Yuck!, right? In short, we had an absolute blast visiting places, friends, and spending time together! So much fun, in fact, that we began to slowly change that original Denver plan significantly! We have been preparing ever since…

So with the time now just a few days away from departing the Northwest, I thought that I’d share our new and improved plan!

We have an estate sale in a day or two! (We kept a few items near and dear to us such as photos, grandmas china and tea cups, and of course several boxes of wine, bourbon and poker chips!) EVERYTHING else is being sold. What did fit in a 3500 sqft home now occupies a 10x10 bedroom! We will be leaving the Seattle area and traveling to Alabama (where Sumer’s parents live) to wait while we have a MOTOR HOME built for delivery in late January mid February. This will serve as our official residence for the next 5-7 years we estimate. Once we have taken delivery of our new home on wheels we plan on living full time on the road and flying/working out of which ever city or pilot base is closest to our present location!

Our new plan is indefinite… but the Denver area is still in our future… just slightly delayed!

I look forward to driving to meet ups and hanging out to explore the area afterwards, play in a few circuit events during the year, take in some sporting events, as well as the obvious visits to friends, family, national parks, and all the other amazing sites this country has both big and small. Then we have Canada as well!

Ultimately we felt that since we are fortunate enough to have flexibility in our jobs, are still relatively young and physically able, we might as well take this time while we have it and explore! This will not be a “you can find us at the RV park” sort of experience! We want to take the motor home off the beaten path and explore as much as we can! (while still trying to stay gainfully employed!) When our boys begin to settle down with their lives (marriage/ kids) perhaps we will settle down our selves!

So the reopening of the Redbelly Poker Room is also on an indefinite delay although I will have a tournament and cash set always on hand for the impromptu card games!

So there you have it! The new, and we think, vastly improved Redbelly 5 year plan!

Now! Let’s CELEBRATE!
This was just going to be an announcement of “Redbelly’s future plans” but as I was putting final items into final boxes I came across an ASM/CPC mold that I had not packed! I had used it as a card protector and had placed it in my desk drawer, safe but hidden from the rest of my poker items! So I thought my oversight (carelessness if you will) can be someone else’s gain!

Effective today and lasting until Sumer and I travel to the plant that our motor home is being built (in the first 2 weeks of October) I will raffle off tickets for ONE GRAND PRIZE! That Grand Prize will include a MD-6 Card and Dice (DIECAR) ASM/CPC Mold Cup! A 20”x30” ASM/CPC Mold Cup Canvas Print, and a Full Sample Set of Redbelly Poker Room Chips, both Tournament AND Cash (including the cash $5 and tournament T100 and T1000 “Thanks Herb!” Tribute Chips! Shipping will be included to anywhere!

I will post pictures of our tour and share our coach choice on the 7th!

I will use the MID DAY Indiana Pick 3 www.lotterypost.com/results/in on October 7th 2017 to select the winner. If no winner results in the mid day then I will use the evening numbers and continue if necessary until a winner is drawn.

IMPORTANT!

I will accept entries until 10 PM Central Time on October 5th! Payments will all be due by 10 PM Central October 5th! All payments need to be in by October 5th at 10 PM.

One more thing! In true Redbelly fashion, we have a fledgling website and Instagram account now! (No doubt t-shirts are in the future!) Mainly to stay in touch with family, friends, and co-workers to let them know where we are, the fun spots we are enjoying, and share stories and lessons learned that I'm sure will come! www.redbellyroadtrip.com Please feel free to check in and make suggestions on must see places!

IMG_2772.jpg
IMG_2800.jpg
IMG_3924.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
cpc-moldcups-canvas-2016.jpg

Redbelly Road Trip 3 Final-03.png

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the family members. Other than the sad parts, cool story and good luck with the motor home life.

That's something I'd really love to do in the future when I can afford it.

Sounds like an amazing plan! In 9 years, 6 months and a few day's the wife and I will also be empty nesters, but who is counting. Enjoy the road, America is a beautiful place!

That sounds great Sean - I am jealous. Please post about your travels so we can follow along.

We were empty nesters, then grandchildren came along. Still have plans to travel once I semi-retire in a year or so. I was considering a motor home, but was concerned about fuel efficiency and the cost of fuel. Since we have the vacation home on Anna Maria, I am hoping to trade it out for lodging wherever we travel.

Sorry to hear about your family, its hard losing people no matter your age. Never gets easier.

Your plans sound great, I too would love to travel around the US, I am hoping when I retire my wife and I can do that..

If you are ever in Southern California around my area, you can park in front of my house any time..

LOL! I had Martin Riggs busted down trailer on the beach in my head as the situation I wouldn't mind ending up in for a period of time... this is likely a more accurate representation of how I'd end up :D

Congrats Sean, that's awesome man. I am definitely joining the others on the jealous list :)

Thank you to your boys for keeping my ass safe, sorry to hear about how you found out about Mom, that just sucks. Hope to see you at a meet-up!

That is exciting news Sean! Looking forward to the ongoing trip report. :)

And I would like to be the first in to use my "One time" on the mold cup. Holy crap, that got my blood pumping.

That sounds great Sean - I am jealous. Please post about your travels so we can follow along.

Definitely!

.... I was considering a motor home, but was concerned about fuel efficiency and the cost of fuel....

Don't know if you talked with my brother Tom about his trip, Mark, but he and his wife spent 3-1/2 months on the road earlier this year in their RV, towing their jeep. IIRC, 8500 miles on the RV, and another 7500 on the jeep wandering around locally wherever the RV was parked. They had a great time, but also discovered that another major concern when you're travelling like that is maintenance of the RV, particularly things like pop-outs that might require unusual parts. They actually had to cut the trip short when the bedroom pop-out hydraulics and gear train stopped functioning altogether. So I guess it pays to own an RV with widely-available servicing agents!

Anyway, enjoy the adventures, both of you...

Raffle is up and running!

I will try to update as soon as am able but the next few days are crazy busy!

Also added this to the original post-

One more thing! In true Redbelly fashion, we have a fledgling website and Instagram account now! (No doubt t-shirts are in the future!) Mainly to stay in touch with family, friends, and co-workers to let them know where we are, the fun spots we are enjoying, and share stories and lessons learned that I'm sure will come! www.redbellyroadtrip.com Please feel free to check in and make suggestions on must see places!
Redbelly Road Trip 3 Final-03.png

That is exciting news Sean! Looking forward to the ongoing trip report. :)

And I would like to be the first in to use my "One time" on the mold cup. Holy crap, that got my blood pumping.
Heading to Charlie's on Friday to wrap up the poker tables! This should be game #1 month for season #5! Will miss hosting! Enjoyed having you at the game!

My condolences on the passing of your family.

Congrats, on your road trip!! I hope you and the wife have a great time, seeing everything our great country has to offer! If you pass through Denver, let the members in the Mile High know! I'm sure we could put together a game for you.

Enjoy your adventure and keep us posted how things are going. My wife and I are planning to do this when we retire.

You are welcome to visit when you make it to Canada.

Can you tell the story about how you ended up with the mold cups and the mold artwork as well?

You are welcome to visit when you make it to Canada.

Can you tell the story about how you ended up with the mold cups and the mold artwork as well?
No secret to the mold artwork... I simply arranged the molds and took pictures. I had a canvas made from one of the prints and offered it here (PCF) for a giveaway. I've done that a few times as well as gifted them to a few hosts of meetups and individuals. Just a way of saying thanks to a great community. Will always continue to do that.

Canada is on the horizon and I look forward to saying hello! Thank you for the invite!

Cheers!

Shotgun!

Congrats and enjoy the road trip! Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Travel safe my friend!

Shotgun!

Congrats and enjoy the road trip! Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Travel safe my friend!

Thanks PAZ! Sorry but that seats reserved my lovely wife!

Just had a fantastic overnight in downtown Boston and definitely want to bring our rig up your way in the future! Love the history!

Cheers!

That was a fun read. We also became empty nesters this year but don't see much changing other than a bit less clean up around the place. :) Your adventure sounds awesome bud. Look forward to seeing where life takes you. All my best to you, your wife and dogs. U-dub

That was a fun read. We also became empty nesters this year but don't see much changing other than a bit less clean up around the place. :) Your adventure sounds awesome bud. Look forward to seeing where life takes you. All my best to you, your wife and dogs. U-dub
I was bummed that I was never able to make it to any of your games! Thanks for the well wishes!

OP updated with the following:

I will post pictures of our tour and share our coach choice on the 7th!

I will use the MID DAY Indiana Pick 3 www.lotterypost.com/results/in on October 7th 2017 to select the winner. If no winner results in the mid day then I will use the evening numbers and continue if necessary until a winner is drawn.

IMPORTANT!
I will accept entries until 10 PM Central Time on October 5th! Payments will all be due by 10 PM Central October 5th!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom