44 Below, an illegal card room in Gotham City (1 Viewer)

Fleming

Straight
Reaction score
I'm a big Batman fan. And for a few years -- since 2017, if I'm to believe the creation date on the earliest renders I have of these chips -- I've been trying to come up with an appropriate tribute set. But when I think about tribute sets, I'm thinking about how to design a set of chips that would actually fit in within the world of Batman. Sort of like my thinking for my Circle Club chip designs.

I think I ended up stumped in the past because I couldn't land on a decent location, either made up or within the Batman lore, where I wanted to establish a card room. But the latest movie helped out by creating 44 Below, the secret club below Penguin's club. Perfect.

Lots of inspiration for this one. I'm leaning toward pretty on-the-nose colors, but trying to keep them super muted. I kind of went nuts with colors on my Circle Club designs, so I'm trying to find a more muted tone for these. I'm also thinking a light inlay color, but we'll see if that sticks.

Here is the current selection of colors: 25c, $1, $5, $20, respectively. I'll update the thread as a I continue to push/tweak the designs.

009.png

OH man, this is such a cool idea for a set! I'm also a huge Batman fan, and I think your color choices are spot on for what you're talking about going for.

Looking at the chips next to each other here, I'm seeing a lot of yellow. I might tweak that a bit..

010.png

Might go with an icy 20 - bright white, light blue and gray. On the 1, dark spots on dark chips doesn't generally come out well.

I would at least invert the colors on the gold chip, to black with gold, its def more batman.

Might go with an icy 20 - bright white, light blue and gray. On the 1, dark spots on dark chips doesn't generally come out well.
Good call. Brightened that sucker up, I'm liking it.

And as much as I'm trying to keep the colors subdued, good point on the 1. I switched to all dayglo colors for the spots there.

I would at least invert the colors on the gold chip, to black with gold, its def more batman.
For sure. I had it that way at one point. I'm torn, because (1) you're right, (2) I'm so-so on black and blurple for those two chips, and (3) I sort of like the yellow chip, and it being a little bit less of a direct nod.

That said, let's try it on for a while.

011.png

Thanks @MrCatPants and @Machine for the feedback! I also snuck in a change to the red $5, just trying out a look without yellow. I'm not sure it will last, just trying it out.

Love the riddler idea. Maybe I'll include another chip just to riff on that idea a bit.

Good call. Brightened that sucker up, I'm liking it.

And as much as I'm trying to keep the colors subdued, good point on the 1. I switched to all dayglo colors for the spots there.

For sure. I had it that way at one point. I'm torn, because (1) you're right, (2) I'm so-so on black and blurple for those two chips, and (3) I sort of like the yellow chip, and it being a little bit less of a direct nod.

That said, let's try it on for a while.

View attachment 1005185

Thanks @MrCatPants and @Machine for the feedback! I also snuck in a change to the red $5, just trying out a look without yellow. I'm not sure it will last, just trying it out.
I like this lineup, but exchanging pink for green on the $5. I'd also go with three different blue spots on the white chip (light, medium, dark). A dark (charcoal or gray) inlay would seem to go best with the Gotham underground club theme.

But all of the funky stuff that followed the above post completely lost my interest, tbh. I think this set theme screams KISS as a design direction.

I like this lineup, but exchanging pink for green on the $5. I'd also go with three different blue spots on the white chip (light, medium, dark). A dark (charcoal or gray) inlay would seem to go best with the Gotham underground club theme.

But all of the funky stuff that followed the above post completely lost my interest, tbh. I think this set theme screams KISS as a design direction.
Simpler is better here, I agree. I keep finding ways to pull the concept back, simplifying it, fewer spots, etc. Subtle nods with the colors...

Dark inlays may be the way. Definitely changes the way the chips look to preview them this way.

I couldn't find something I liked with pink on the $5, how you said. I might not be following you though. Here's where I'm sitting at the moment.

013.png

Love where you are going with these. I would be in for sure on getting a bunch when/if you decide to move forward with a order.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom