$40 Craigslist Pickup (1 Viewer)

atomiktoaster

Full House
Reaction score
Found a table browsing Craigslist around my neighborhood for any listings, not specifically poker. $60 OBO and got it for 40. A few minor repairs and maybe some new cloth and it should be good to go. Already had a game organized for Friday, too.

20150128_170948.jpg
20150128_171024.jpg
20150128_171015.jpg
20150128_170953.jpg
20150128_171030.jpg

I would highly suggest upgrading the foam when you redo the cloth. I have played on one of these tables and it was almost like playing on a wooden table. But for $40 you can't beat it. :)

My topper is ssc over headliner. I like the feel of that, but I'll definitely give the foam some thought. $40 was my "worth it even if really beat up" number, but it ended up in much better shape than it could have been in.

Looks like a decent table if you're looking to give it a little TLC imo, especially for $40. Post pics after the upgrade? :)

You may find that building a topper to fit that table (placed within the confines of the existing rail) will be a much easier and cheaper solution than trying to disassemble and upgrade it (felt, padding, or rail).

The construction techniques used on most of those types of tables typically do not result in something that is easily upgraded, and just opening one up often reveals a significant can of worms.

You may find that building a topper to fit that table (placed within the confines of the existing rail) will be a much easier and cheaper solution than trying to disassemble and upgrade it (felt, padding, or rail).

The construction techniques used on most of those types of tables typically do not result in something that is easily upgraded, and just opening one up often reveals a significant can of worms.

That's a good idea. The only extra cost would be a sheet of ply, if I'm buying cloth and foam anyway. Plus, I've already done that process. It does seem to be glued together, pretty much. Luckily, the rail is serviceable with just some cleaning up, I think.

This is the table I have and have redone it several times. I got it about 10yrs or so ago and very satisfied with it.

Pic's are on CT, of the redo of the table.

Fixed the bent part of the leg mechanism, got the garage dust off, magic eraser got the red stuff off the rail. Something about how it smells pissed off the cat though...

Man, I'm going back and forth on drop-in vs re-upholster...

Drop-in: no middle crease, no issues aligning the cloth pattern, already made a similar topper and like how it plays, cloth isn't exposed in storage

Resurfacing: can't be misplaced, doesn't need precision wood cutting, leaves more rail height, could use existing foam, don't need to buy plywood.

First things first, get ready for 9+ player tournaments tomorrow.

20150129_210839.jpg

If those rail sections come off easily (completely exposing the table surface), I'd say def go for a rebuild (new/better foam + new/better cloth for < $100). Otherwise go with the insert idea.

I helped a friend redo his new-but-damaged cheapo table last year, and the rail was constructed in such a way that you couldn't reupholster it, and the only way to remove it was by removing a ship-load of staples. And that POS stapled rail had to be removed to add decent padding under the felt (badly needed) or to add ssc. Only reason we messed with it at all is because it was free (they shipped him a new table and allowed him to keep the damaged one). Hopefully yours is constructed differently.

The rail sections have screws coming through the bottom, which I hope are the only attachment method. The base is 1" fiberboard. Best as I can tell, the original msrp was around $200

Anybody have foam scraps they could send me?

Took the rails off to assess my upgrade options. Turns out they have 8 or 10 t-nuts per section. The existing headliner is just glued and extends under the rail sections. No staples. I like the soft feel of SSC over headliner, but I'm not sure if the stuff I have is thick enough or if I need to head to the fabric store for new foam. Wish I had saved some scraps from the topper build.

20150203_215143.jpg20150203_215057.jpg

New foam, new brybelly SSC. Looking pretty good IMO, though the tradeoff between cloth tension and gap width on a folding table is tricky. Didn't want to retrofit a hard edge, but it doesn't catch cards or chips very easily after some testing.

2015-02-20.jpg20150225_211907.jpg20150225_223122.jpg20150225_223205.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom