3rd table build.... (1 Viewer)

longflop

Flush
Reaction score
Because I can't stop tinkering, and because the home tourney keeps growing. I decided it was time to build a 3rd table. Below are pictures of my first two
reverse platinum.jpg
poker table.jpg

The first table is one I built with my Dad, it is a 48"x96" 10 seater. The second one is 48"x72" 8 seater. I want to do something completely different this time, so its a 60" round. Wood was cut yesterday. Managed to get it done with two sheets of 3/4" by alternating the seams for the extra pieces. This will be an auxiliary table, so I'm trying to keep it as budget as possible. For all of you who have built round tables, what did you do for the leg situation? This definitely needs to be put awayable, so they have to be some sort of folding leg. I had to stagger the folding legs on the 6' table so they would fold up, so that gives me some pause that folding set legs would fit. Any thoughts?

I will post some PRon as I go, forgot to take pictures yesterday.

I 've seen screw-in legs for tables. They look definitely sturdier than folding ones, and the whole package (table + legs) may take less storage space.

MetalKraft Systems makes the best folding table legs I have found. Their shipping is a little on the high side so be aware of that. They make overlapping and non-overlapping legs. For a round 60" table, they recommend their 30" wishbone overlapping legs.

I have purchased from them several times and am very pleased. The legs are very strong and rock stable after several years of use. There is no comparison to their product versus the junk sold at Lowes and Home Depot.

Overlapping table legs.gif

MetalKraft Systems makes the best folding table legs I have found. Their shipping is a little on the high side so be aware of that. They make overlapping and non-overlapping legs. For a round 60" table, they recommend their 30" wishbone overlapping legs.

I have purchased from them several times and am very pleased. The legs are very strong and rock stable after several years of use. There is no comparison to their product versus the junk sold at Lowes and Home Depot.

View attachment 233392

^^^this^^^

The only drawback I've found with their legs is they're a tad too tall for a poker table, so I use a pipe cutter at each foot to cut them down a couple of inches. They also make adjustable legs that are really nice.

The only drawback I've found with their legs is they're a tad too tall for a poker table, so I use a pipe cutter at each foot to cut them down a couple of inches.

I do the same thing. You want your table height at 29". But I have had the same problem with the folding legs from other vendors so this wasn't a surprise.

I used Metalcraft legs on my last table, and did also cut down the legs about an inch. But they are very solid.

To further stiffen my table surface, I improvised—buying 3/4" x 6' steel pipes from a big box store, attached to the underside with half-round clamps. I was finding the ends were a little wobbly, and these stiffened things right up. I positioned the pipes so that they don't interfere with the folded legs.

So its time to order my foams, felts and vinyls. I wanted to see if I could go with a table top foam that has just a little more give than the closed cell volara that I used on my 8 seater. I reached out to yourautotrim.com to ask what would be a step below that volara and this arrived in the mail today.
20190114_122809.jpg

This is the volara that I put on the last one. great foam, but just a little too stiff. I have found that sometimes its hard to get those cards shuffled.
20190114_122835.jpg

This is the foam that he recommended, 1/4" backed sewing foam. It has a little more give than the closed cell. I'm not worried about spills, since the speed cloth is water resisitant.
20190114_122848.jpg

Orders for the foam, vinyl and UNSUITED speed cloth are going in tonight. He told me that the unsuited is faster than the suited as far as card slide goes. This is an overflow table, so I am keeping it simple, black vinyl rail and classic green cloth.

So its time to order my foams, felts and vinyls. I wanted to see if I could go with a table top foam that has just a little more give than the closed cell volara that I used on my 8 seater. I reached out to yourautotrim.com to ask what would be a step below that volara and this arrived in the mail today.
View attachment 236371
This is the volara that I put on the last one. great foam, but just a little too stiff. I have found that sometimes its hard to get those cards shuffled.
View attachment 236372
This is the foam that he recommended, 1/4" backed sewing foam. It has a little more give than the closed cell. I'm not worried about spills, since the speed cloth is water resisitant.
View attachment 236373

Orders for the foam, vinyl and UNSUITED speed cloth are going in tonight. He told me that the unsuited is faster than the suited as far as card slide goes. This is an overflow table, so I am keeping it simple, black vinyl rail and classic green cloth.
Good choice on the foam I would think. I also went with Valora for my two builds, but wish I went with something with a tad more give. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Good choice on the foam I would think. I also went with Valora for my two builds, but wish I went with something with a tad more give. Can't wait to see the finished product.
^^^^^^ +1 on this. Did the same thing here, with the same results. Wish I had gone w/something just a slight touch softer. (I wonder too is the spray adhesive firms it up a bit when it dries?)

^^^^^^ +1 on this. Did the same thing here, with the same results. Wish I had gone w/something just a slight touch softer. (I wonder too is the spray adhesive firms it up a bit when it dries?)

It shouldn’t, unless you are using way too much.

I used the Hd 1/4” foam from that sample pack. It’s like headliner foam but a little more firm and a true 1/4”. But I also used it on top of 1/4” volara foam so can’t say what it’s like by itself. I was thinking about trying only that on my next table.

Ok, time for some updated PrOn

I've got the wood cut and glued and screwed. In order to make a 60" round I have to attach two pieces together. This is from the underside. The seams are running parallel on opposite sides of the table.

its hard to see here, but the rail ring was done the say way.

Seeing as this is an overflow table, I couldn't pull the trigger on the overlapping legs for $90. So a little thinking and some 3/4 in plywood scraps led to this.

And viola, homemade overlapping legs. The set on top is cut exactly the width of the plywood shorter than the other set. They are set at a 30" base.

the table with the ring on. Notice that the seams are running on the opposite sides, I think that will really help the strength.

Here is all the T nuts in the table. legs to the table and rail to the base will all be connected with bolts.

Just ordered the foam and felt today. Went with the 1/4" sewing foam for the table, 1" HD foam for the rail, and unsuited speed cloth for the table. YAT told me that this has the most slide to it, so I'm excited to see. HUGE shout out to @krafticus who gave me a roll of vinyl for the rail that he has sitting around. So far so good, I think I'm on pace for the Feb 2nd tourney.

Foam and felt are here, unrolled in the family room and settling.

Finally got the legs mounted.

Took some half assed engineering because the 10-24 screws only come in half inch lengths. Ended up screwing a nut all the way to the head of the screw to act as a spacer and keep the screw from poke through the tee nut on the other end

Set it up and ran the two way level test, looks pretty good to me.

Looks like the perfect amount of leg room too.

ended up with some divots in the plywood from when I drilled through from the other side.

Filled those craters with wood putty. Going to let it dry overnight and sand it tomorrow. Then its time to spray, lay and cut the foam, then staple and cut the felt. After that, its just the rail which is my least favorite part. Stay tuned!

Coming along great!! Hope I get to play on this bad boy next week. Next question is whether those sweet labels arrived?

Ok, table is finished. I have to be honest with you guys, from the felt down, I could not be happier with how this build turned out. My ideas with the joining two pieces of plywood to make a 60" inch round could only have been sturdier if it was one piece of wood, really solid. The spacer for the legs, which turned an ordinary pair of folding legs into a set of overlapping legs works great. The pink sewing felt is the perfect density, I will use it going forward.

That being said, the rail is an abomination. upholstering and padding a 60" rail with 59" vinyl (generaously donated by @krafticus ) and 54" foam proved difficult. My theory did not work to plan, which was compounded by mistakes being made. I stapled, pulled and stapled in several spots to try to make the rail as smooth as possible. I was not 100% successful. I hesitate to post these last pictures at the risk that @T_Chan or @Irish would kick me straight in the dick if I ever meet then, but this is a good learning experience.

When I laid out the foam, it was a good bit short. I ended up cutting a line across the center and anchoring both sides. My goal was to get a piece to cut to the top, then cut 2.5 inch wide strips to layer around the outside of the rail and 1.5 inch wide strips to line around the inside.

This was the top, cut, stretched and spray glued to the wood. I am not an artist with the electric carving knife.

I then spray glued the strips around the inside and outside. Everything seemed to look good, but in hindsight, there are waaayyy to many seams. This was destined to fail.

I got the felt down on the table. Everything seems great, but I think I may have put the wrong side up. The contact from YAT indicated that the unsuited speed cloth has the most slide of all felts. This does not have more than my current suited speed cloth. Without the suites, it was hard to tell which side was supposed to be up.

And finally with the rail attached. Like I said, I am not proud of this, but I did my best.

It is a functional table, the rail just looks bad. Piecing the foam together for the rail was a mistake, the bunching takes place at the location of the seams. Like I said, I will replace it all at some point. Thanks to using Tee nuts in the rail, it won't be a problem.

A positive is that sitting down and pitching cards around, it is so much easier to deal an 8 handed game on here than it is on an oval. We'll see what they guys think, I don't even think they will notice. "What do you mean this is a new poker table?"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom