3D printers and poker chips (3 Viewers)

I've got a color 3D power printer at work (ZCorp 650).

What size of chip would we want to try?

39mm I assume would be the first order of business.

These might not make great chips, but maybe cool dealer buttons? I've never seen 3d printed materials in person.

My Glowforge is delayed until December or so, but I'm playing with idea for materials to try cutting to make chips, and for ideas about engraving chips.

May try to get GOCC chips printed with colors, and then use the laser to etch denoms and art on them - simulating old ivory poker chips.

Or may just use the laser to etch serial numbers onto an existing chip set.

Will definitely make wooden card boxes for the Bicycle Prestige setups I'm getting...

Anyone have a design they want me to try on a chip? It can do full color (okay)

It is a power based print. I'll do some without wax and some with wax.

Attachments

• Poker Chip Dealer 50mm.PNG
    Poker Chip Dealer 50mm.PNG
    148.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Poker Chip 39mm.PNG
    Poker Chip 39mm.PNG
    138.5 KB · Views: 123
I am 100% certain that 3d printers can print chips/blanks. What I'm not so certain about is the durability of those chips, the feel, the weight of the materials, the colors available, if edge spots are feasible, etc.

There's also cost of materials, time to print, etc.

Agreed; the power is light, the waxing may increase the weight but screw up the feel.

The output was interesting, but way too light for a quality chip. I'll have to weigh them when I get home, but they feel like half of what they should be.
The printing is okay, not good. Fancier printers could do better and I literally took a JPG and pasted it to the top of the chip, so it could look better with effort.
The powder print would need to be waxed to ensure it would survive more than one game. Good edges now, but I can tell one game and they'll already be marked.

IMG_7479.JPG
IMG_7480.JPG
IMG_7482.JPG
IMG_7484.JPG

lol; and that was a 100k 3D printer.
At 25 cents per chip plus a few cents in wax, plus the time to clean them up, we're at least a few years away from anything comparable to a chip someone would want to play with.

The output was interesting, but way too light for a quality chip. I'll have to weigh them when I get home, but they feel like half of what they should be.
The printing is okay, not good. Fancier printers could do better and I literally took a JPG and pasted it to the top of the chip, so it could look better with effort.
The powder print would need to be waxed to ensure it would survive more than one game. Good edges now, but I can tell one game and they'll already be marked.

View attachment 39963 View attachment 39964 View attachment 39965 View attachment 39966

They look like brillo pads

They don't feel as rough as brillo pads, one side is very rough due to the printing process, the other is slightly better. Regardless, even with a wax dip they'll still look rough.

The usage of the prints for the dealer chip is pretty good.
Going to print out some knock off some ugly WPT time chips next...

Time Chip 68mm Face copy.gif Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 6.19.26 PM.png

Again, turned out not bad, not great. They need a good cleaning to make the black pop out and they need a wax still.
I do like the size and feel of these time chips overall though. I think I'll order up an actual real set.

image1.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom