36mm chips... what's the point? (1 Viewer)

SteveHNo96

Flush
Reaction score
I just got my set of Lady Luck chips and I have to say that they looked small even by poker chip standards, so i checked them against my Wicked Spades. Sure enough, 39mm.

I'm not a small guy. I stand 6' tall and weigh 280 lbs. and what I was thinking was that a smaller chip (I've seen people say 36mm chips are a thing) would be tough to handle and prone to breaking.

Has anyone had any experience with 36mm chips and if so, do you feel like you have to delicately handle them like a 90lb. girlfriend?

I don't have fat fingers, so no they aren't delicate lol. They don't seem any more prone to breaking than a 39mm chip imo.

I actually really like them, and just got my first 36mm set recently.

Oh and btw I'm 5ft 9 and 176 lbs if that makes a difference lol

No difference in material so just as durable or fragile depending on your point of view. While I won’t say they are my favorite I also don’t despise them. May sound pointless but everyone has different views. I like them some guys I the group can’t stand them.

According to basic physics 36mm are even less likely to break, they’re thicker in proportion to their diameter.

I had a set of Horseshoe 36mm tourney chips that I really like the feel of, actually seemed more dense and solid than unleaded 39mm chips. You get used to the feel quickly unless you’ve immediately come from handling 39 or 43mm chips.

I just got my set of Lady Luck chips and I have to say that they looked small even by poker chip standards, so i checked them against my Wicked Spades. Sure enough, 39mm.

I'm not a small guy. I stand 6' tall and weigh 280 lbs. and what I was thinking was that a smaller chip (I've seen people say 36mm chips are a thing) would be tough to handle and prone to breaking.

Has anyone had any experience with 36mm chips and if so, do you feel like you have to delicately handle them like a 90lb. girlfriend?
I had a sampling and found them to be off-putting. I have large hands.

I loved the chips in the pictures. Wanted to take part in the Presidents Day sale, until I had a sampling.

Not for me..not at all..

Have a sampling man. Best way to tell.

To each their own

I had a sampling and found them to be off-putting. I have large hands.

I loved the chips in the pictures. Wanted to take part in the Presidents Day sale, until I had a sampling.

Not for me..not at all..

Have a sampling man. Best way to tell.

To each their own

The consensus of opinion here is that 43mm and 39mm chips are about equally worth their weight in gold. I've heard some people use 47mm, but not too many, and usually they're done as oversized chips for a 43 set. (also when shot up close those things look like mini-frisbees) and I see the 36mm chips as being kinda puny, but never really got a clear opinion on them. Hence this thread.

The consensus of opinion here is that 43mm and 39mm chips are about equally worth their weight in gold. I've heard some people use 47mm, but not too many, and usually they're done as oversized chips for a 43 set. (also when shot up close those things look like mini-frisbees) and I see the 36mm chips as being kinda puny, but never really got a clear opinion on them. Hence this thread.
My dreams of PCAs have been replaced with dreams of a 43mm cash set someday.

Someday = never

But hey, one can dream. 43mm are dreamy! Ive got samples all over my poker room and in my Jack set. Love em

But hey, one can dream. 43mm are dreamy! Ive got samples all over my poker room and in my Jack set. Love em

I used to think 43mm were great, but then I got some barrels of 48mm and to be honest the 43mm's feel pretty small. I guess if you've just come from playing with the 36mm you'd think the 43mm were big.

To each their own!

36 mm chips - feels like:

1584690289274.png

I've handled them a few times and they seem durable enough. But they feel like they belong at the little kids table

Yeah, they're smaller ... but after handling them for a while, it fades away. I love 43mm - it's my favorite size, but I don't think that 36mm is "too small". For some of us, it's the only way we're able to acquire Paulsons without funneling money through shell accounts in Macedonia. Do I wish my 36mm's were 39mm? Yeah, if I had the choice, I'd magically make them a hair bigger.

But as long as the chip is good quality, then it's totally playable...

There's no point. They were made. They are Paulson clay.

^ Probably this.

I don't think there's even a conversation to be had about their durability. They'll wear like any other clay poker chip but they'll be usable in a home game setting forever.

I can only imaging the logic of a smaller chip is they take up less space on the felt, so tournament players with a huge stack of chips aren't quite so overwhelmed. They're also probably cheaper to manufacture, since they are 17% smaller than their 39mm counterparts. The 36mms I've seen don't have edgespots - so it's probably cheaper to make in that regard too.

They are fantastic chips. Not for everyone, but they are better then people give them credit for....

And since camera security typically isn't critical to tournaments, no need for inserts / edgespots / sidepaint.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom