300 poker chips??? (1 Viewer)

Chipman22

High Hand
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a set of China clays "Pharaohs"

I'm thinking 300 poker chips should be enough for maximum 6 players.
This will be a cash set only

100x 25c
170x $1
20x $5
10x $25

This going to work for a 6max table?

Game will be 25c/50c

Thus a good set or should I change the breakdown?

Buy in will start from $20 up to $50

I do have the option to go micro cash set also. With some 0.05c chips. But a little lost at the moment.

I am swaying to micro cash set. Because I could just use my tourney set as a cash set....

As you can see I am well and truly lost....

Seems like a small bank of only $545 - just under 1100 big blinds. Looks like you’re buying in small but still.

You’ll get more informed answers and good suggestions on breakdowns from others here but I would look to cut down on the $1s in favor of more $5s and $25s if I was limiting the set to 300 chips

80 x 25c
120 x $1
70 x $5
30 x $25

Bank: $1240

This at least will allow you to have a little more leeway if people keep buying in.

If your buy-in is $20, you need to have more 5's than you have, for sure. People are going to rebuy.

Last edited:
Excellent breakdown advice above.

Perhaps you’re only looking to build a fairly inexpensive set to fit the current need of your group but it’s worth to take into account that the need will likely change over time - more players, deeper stacks, higher stakes (if for nothing else, due to inflation) etc.

Excellent breakdown advice above.

Perhaps you’re only looking to build a fairly inexpensive set to fit the current need of your group but it’s worth to take into account that the need will likely change over time - more players, deeper stacks, higher stakes (if for nothing else, due to inflation) etc.
I'm hoping I can use my tourney set for that. I have 1020 chips in the tourney set

I would use $100 chips for $1, $500 for $5 and so on

So should I just avoid buying 0.05s???

I wouldn’t play $0.25/0.50 with $20-50 buy-ins. Too shallow stacks for my taste. But getting 0.05-chips seems like a bit of a waste; the game will likely grow out of $0.05/0.1 stakes. How about $0.25/0.25?

Also keep in mind one other thing: If you make the stakes .05/.10, you're probably going to have to make change at the end of the night for nickels AND quarters unless you Paypal everyone and they all know you're trustworthy.

Also keep in mind one other thing: If you make the stakes .05/.10, you're probably going to have to make change at the end of the night for nickels AND quarters unless you Paypal everyone and they all know you're trustworthy.
I guess I'm gonna avoid buying the 0.05s

I'm hoping I can use my tourney set for that. I have 1020 chips in the tourney set

I would use $100 chips for $1, $500 for $5 and so on

That’ll work although most here will tell you to have different sets for cash and tourney. For security reasons, but probably mainly because different sets equals MOOAARR chips :)

I guess I'm gonna avoid buying the 0.05s

I'm not saying you can't do it. (I have sets that have 5 cent chips, including my DDLM 43's and GPI Paulsons).

Here's what I'm thinking from a real world perspective: If your buy in is:

$1/$2: Carry singles with you or get a bunch from a bank in exchange for buy-ins.
$.50/$1 or 50c/50c: You can work with this, if there's no change you can have someone play high card for 50 cents.
25c/50c or 25c/25c: You can probably do with one roll of quarters in addition to the buy in.
10c/25c: Never do this. It's a math nightmare.
5c/10c: A roll of quarters and a roll of nickels will be needed at the very minimum.
1c/1c or 1c/2c: I hope you're joking. I've yet to see a set that had penny chips in them.

I'm not saying you can't do it. (I have sets that have 5 cent chips, including my DDLM 43's and GPI Paulsons).

Here's what I'm thinking from a real world perspective: If your buy in is:

$1/$2: Carry singles with you or get a bunch from a bank in exchange for buy-ins.
$.50/$1 or 50c/50c: You can work with this, if there's no change you can have someone play high card for 50 cents.
25c/50c or 25c/25c: You can probably do with one roll of quarters in addition to the buy in.
10c/25c: Never do this. It's a math nightmare.
5c/10c: A roll of quarters and a roll of nickels will be needed at the very minimum.
1c/1c or 1c/2c: I hope you're joking. I've yet to see a set that had penny chips in them.

Using cash seems like a nightmare all together. We use an equivalent of Venmo for buy-ins and cash-outs

I recently built a minimalist cash set for 6 players and did a couple calculations for myself in the process.
The chips are undenominated but there isn't any good way to play with the denom associations, so essentially the denoms are fixed.

I have it broken down to this:
  • 25c x 48 (starting stack: 8 per player = $2)
  • $1 x 138 (starting stack: 23 per player = $23)
  • $5 x 50 (starting stack: 5 per player = $25, remaining in bank: 20)
  • $25 x 10
  • $100 x 4
Makes a total of just 250 chips and a bank of $1050 (21 buy-ins of $50, or 42 buy-ins at $25). I didn't have any way to change the breakdown, but if you're buying stock chips or otherwise do not have this hard limitation, I'd advise exchanging the $400 in hundreds for $25s, and perhaps add more $5s.

I'd say if you go minimalist, do it properly. Rounding up the number of chips of a particular denom just for nice total numbers is not in order if you want to buy as few chips as possible. Only exception would be adding a couple per denom as spares if a chip breaks or goes missing, but I wouldn't count those towards the set size you aim for - they need to be kept separately.

My 5¢/10¢ game is perfect for my group. We buy-in for $10-20. But honestly, if I switched it to .25/.25, it probably wouldn’t change that much. We hardly use the nickels other than for limping pre flop anyway. If your buy-in is $20-50, I’d definitely play .25-.25. But the nickels May be fun to have for a learning night, or just to have the option for a low stakes game. Plus, I think the Pharaoh nickels look cool. :)

Remember that the Pharaohs come in rolls of 25. I’d prefer to have a little bigger set, in case the game grows.

400 chips, $1225 bank:
25¢x100
$1x200
$5x75
$25x25

Also, I just tell people I don’t payout change, so they either leave it as a tip, or pool the extra and do a flip for the extra dollar or two.

if You’re thinking .25/.50, 300 chips, 6 players, I say you’re better off just playing .50/.50. Then you can use .50 cent fracs instead of quarters, and totallly get away fine with only 50 of them, leaving you more space for bigger chips.

What is your total budget per chip?
I'm in UK. So I'm having problems. There is ZERO choice in this country. I'm willing to spend about £150 on chips to start filling out my collection because I'm not ready to splash in a paulson set or CPC set. But there is nothing in UK. And anything even half decent is in the states and the shipping kills the price. I found a vendor in UK that will sell me 300 CV ships for 120 but then I noticed the extra £110 shipping and handling!!!!!!!!!

I'm in UK. So I'm having problems. There is ZERO choice in this country. I'm willing to spend about £150 on chips to start filling out my collection because I'm not ready to splash in a paulson set or CPC set. But there is nothing in UK. And anything even half decent is in the states and the shipping kills the price. I found a vendor in UK that will sell me 300 CV ships for 120 but then I noticed the extra £110 shipping and handling!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, that's tight. I've got a deal on right now that could get you 500 chips shipping included to the UK for GBP284, and it comes with 100x $25 that you can use as quarters, but before duty/VAT, etc. On a per chip basis it's not a lot to pay, but maybe 500 chips is too many for what you're wanting?

Hmm, that's tight. I've got a deal on right now that could get you 500 chips shipping included to the UK for GBP284, and it comes with 100x $25 that you can use as quarters, but before duty/VAT, etc. On a per chip basis it's not a lot to pay, but maybe 500 chips is too many for what you're wanting?
Got a link?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom