3/8" Volara?? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'll be starting a 92" oval table soon and am gathering up my supply list right now. I know most people use either 1/4" Volara or 1/4" HD open cell foam for the playing surface. Was wondering if anyone has tried the 3/8" Volara to see if it's any softer than the 1/4"? Any noticeable difference? My table felt will probably be a custom felt from @T_Chan.

If you use volara foam just be real careful about setting heavier stuff on your table. It will cause permanent damage and you don’t want that when you’ve spent so much time getting everything right on your build and have to replace the volara. Also I’ve never seen 3/8” on a table. Not saying it isn’t a good idea, it could be great, but I would assume it would dent worse than 1/4” or be more noticeable.

I haven't used 3/8" before so I can't really say. I'm in the process of doing a couple of tables where I'm using 2 layers of foam, 1/4" closed cell on the bottom and 1/4" open cell on top.

Love the user name, let’s go Wings! (Larkin totally shoulda been an all star, I hate the current format)

Love the user name, let’s go Wings! (Larkin totally shoulda been an all star, I hate the current format)
Off topic but I agree, Larkin should have been selected. Turning into one of the best 2-way forwards in the NHL. Hardest worker on the team and will probably be named captain next year. I don't mind the new format. Much more entertaining than the old.

I haven't used 3/8" before so I can't really say. I'm in the process of doing a couple of tables where I'm using 2 layers of foam, 1/4" closed cell on the bottom and 1/4" open cell on top.
How did this turn out?

My first table I did two layers of 1/4" Volara and I loved it. Latest table I did 3/8" neoprene and the neoprene is just a bit too firm. I preferred the 1/2" of Volara. Wondering if the 1/4" closed and 1/4" open would be better?

How did this turn out?

My first table I did two layers of 1/4" Volara and I loved it. Latest table I did 3/8" neoprene and the neoprene is just a bit too firm. I preferred the 1/2" of Volara. Wondering if the 1/4" closed and 1/4" open would be better?
It did great. I’m happy with the way it feels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom