25NL Zone @ Ignition: Roast my line - more jam (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
25NL 6max anonymous fast fold. Just back from Turks & Caicos and wanted to play a session. Reread Brokos' "Play Optimal Poker" on the beach.

Hero flats a HJ open on the button with pocket sixes. SB 3bets to 5x.

1619307750601.png

Folds back around to Hero who decides to flat, IP with a PP. I need to defend more against 3bets and with position this seems like an OK candidate to do so. Last few hand histories have discussed this topic.

1619307913860.png

Decent flop for Hero as the initial raise and 3bet caller. If that action doesnt scream medium/low PP I dont know what does.
V raises just over 1/4 pot which looks a bit weak but is probably GTO. I decide that I am in a position to bet a polarized range given how I think the flop interacts with my actual range here. I think I am more likely to have all the sets, 56, 78 (as I think this line is also taken with SCs) and Ax spades. So a good polarized range to raise.

1619398119225.png

Hero raises to $8 or just under 4x. Hero is not excited to see V call. Lets hope for a decent turn.

1619308167231.png

I like the turn- again I would not be liking an A or broadway card which I think would connect better with V's range.
V's actions (the 1/4 pot bet and X) seem to be representative of the condensed range (using Brokos' terminology) and I think I am still in a position to continue applying pressure with my polarized range and put his medium strength hands in a very tough spot.

Hero jams. Thoughts?

1619308936821.png

Last edited:
I love this play. Your range and hand hits this flop. You might get called by an over pair, but you put AA/KK in a horrible spot. If you do get called, you have 6 outs, so about 12%. This is Optimal Poker...even though I have yet to read the book (I do listen to the podcast).

I like the jam here, but not for normal reasons. Jamming on that turn card puts most hands in a very bad situation. I don't exactly see an overpair here (would have come over the top on the flop raise instead of just calling). I think they are drawing to spades and this jam should make them fold. It might not be the most profitable thing to do, but the most profitable thing to do is letting them draw another card which could kill you. I can easily see a spaded AJ, AQ, or AK calling your flop bet, but even if they think they have all 15 outs available to them they can't call here.

I don’t like it. I don’t see a better hand fold the flop and you could get jammed on by AK/AQ of spades. The turn is bad for your range: 78s just got sucked out on if he holds the overpair and it makes it less likely you raised the flop with a set.

That leaves 65s, 77 and 88 and a bunch of draws. I’m not folding an overpair here if I’m villain.

tldr: I'd flat the flop, but don't hate exploiting a sizing mistake from villain's cbet with your line

Hmmmmm.

Pre-flop: Easy call of CO's open, no reason to do anything different here (I'm sure it's a low frequency 3bet, but I just flat these middle pairs in position 100% to make it easier on myself). Villain 3bets to a good size from the classic ideal 3bet formation (CO open, BTN call). Easy flat. If you started the hand $25 effective or if we had 33 I'd consider folding (but likely still call cause I can't help myself from mixing it up), but y'all are deep enough to play this in position.

Flop: I think villain's cbet is likely a mistake. They're OOP in a 3bet pot, and this quarter pot bet represents that they're betting this flop with their entire range. Since you went call-call preflop on the BTN, this board should smash lots of your range and miss lots of the 3bettor's range. Sure, they'll also have strong hands here, but you should have a higher concentration of them. They might be approaching this spot with a bet 100% strategy, which again they shouldn't because of your range advantage. And if they aren't approaching it with a bet 100% strategy, this cbet is way too small. They should be checking plenty of hands, and betting whatever hands they intend to bet for a larger sizing. That said, I think hero's raise is okay. If villain checked to us or bet a more appropriate sizing, I'd be much more inclined to check back/flat. We've got showdown value with 6 outs to a very strong hand, and our outs are relatively clean besides villain's T9 suited. I don't like turning this hand into a bluff on this street at baseline (which is essentially what we're doing here, right?), but again, if we can capitalize on villain's betting mistake and fold out whatever equity share he has, then great. If he's only betting this size with flush draws or T9 and trying to set his own price, that's more incentive to go for it, too.

Turn: Meh. I think if you're going to raise this hand as a bluff on the flop this looks like an okay spot for a jam. It is nice that we have 6 outs to improve against an overpair, so we're only dead to 88 and 77. But I also think this card isn't great for us because (a) it counterfeits two of our most logical value raise combos on the flop in 8h7h and 8c7c, (b) does so in an obvious way that villain might overcredit, and (c) if villain thought they were ahead/behind on the flop, nothing's changed. We have basically no 4x besides Ad4d, and that's unlikely and only one combo, anyway. Still thinking. I think they've also got a decent number of hands that might call once on the flop and then give up to any size on this turn (e.g. JdTd, Ad9d, etc.), which yeah those hands are drawing thin but I also am skeptical that they're gonna fire the river if we check back given this line, so folding out their share of overcard equity now is nice. I do think our jam represents all boats, quads, and straights, and we unblock villain's folding range. And a nice thing is it's very hard to find logical bluffs for us outside Ts9s, JsTs, Js9s. Hands like JsJx, TsTx, and 9s9x are in a weird spot because they block those bluffs, funneling us toward value. I think we're gonna get looked up here at some frequency by frustrated red Kings (which is kind of the platonic ideal of hands we're targeting for folds with this bluff), but given the line you've taken I think the jam is fine. And it's not a bad thing that Ts9s, Js9s, and JsTs probably aren't getting the right price to call against your entire range, since they've only got ~38% equity against your specific hand which is one of the worse hands we'll have here.

Just downloaded the hand history. Turns out Villain folded 99.
Cant believe that he called my flop raise.

1619397937850.png

1619397963622.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom