25NL Ignition Zone: Another aggro play - will it get any love? (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
6max fast fold. No HUDs, no reads. Hero decides to defend 78o in BB to a min bet from CO:

1618008519448.png

Hero CRUSHES the flop. V leads for 1/2 pot. Hero smooth calls.

1618008561839.png

Turn boats up Hero. V leads again for about 2/3 pot. Seeing V's aggression and wanting to get more money in, Hero goes for the X/R to 4x

1618008647477.png

Thank ye gods. Villain jams. Only worried about 22 (one combo remaining) Hero snap calls.

1618008832371.png

Just in case V had 22, Hero rivers higher quads. Looks like all those suckouts from last week are coming back to me.
However, V was running a multi-street bluff. Hero scoops!
Another Villain getting tricky with AK and being taken to value town.

1618008900436.png

Bet when he saw the river he gave a heavy sigh and thought - "great river, looks like a chop." NOT!

Haters will like this suckout. Same game.

Hero opens JJ in UTG. +1 3 bets, SB cold calls and Hero flats. Considered folding ...

1618009744307.png

Flop is all low and rainbow. only 54 gets there. Folds back to +1 who bets about 1/3 pot. SB folds, Hero decides to X/R to about 4x.

1618009862376.png

Hero calls. Turn puts a one-liner to the straight but I dont think either of us have a 6. Hero jams. V calls.

1618009929914.png

Turns out Hero was right - he was ahead 2:1 but V rivers his TP.
Jam would have been better if the 5 was any other suit but hearts. Easy come, easy go!

1618009974323.png

Attachments

• 1618009771609.png
    1618009771609.png
    216 KB · Views: 53
Another aggro hand.
UTG opens 3BB, folds to Hero who flats 99 in CO. SB 3 bets to $4.25 (strong move). UTG folds. Hero decides to call with a PP and position.

1618010675304.png

Flop seems to favor the 3 bettor's range. V leads for a very small size, less than 1/4 pot. Hero punishes with the 4.5x raise.
Edit: rethinking this, given the lack of an A on the flop I think it may be pretty neutral to both 3 bettor and caller. Thoughts?

1618010708185.png

V calls. Turn brings in the FDFD. V checks out of fear of the flush presumably having shown aggression both pre- and on flop.
Hero jams for just under a pot-sized bet. Would have liked to have been deeper to maximize FE but I cant check here.

1618010811749.png

V folds.

1618010833516.png

Not trying to be an asshole here but I think there’s a lot of spewing going on here and you are just ending up being lucky that you’re good/they fold.

87 hand I guess is an exception. Don’t get villain’s shove but certainly nice of him. Well played hero imo.

JJ: if you are considering a fold pre why are you x/raising that flop? It’s basically a bluff. I guess TT will probably continue but it’s thin. Same thing on the turn. Call flop and evaluate turn imo.

99: I agree it’s a strong move from sb. Calling is reasonable with 99 and position but it caps your range at like TT and AQ. I think the flop favors his range. He has all the sets and AA/AK but probably not AJ. But then again do you really have AJ here? Maybe some of the suited combos. You can have TT and maybe KQs (?) but not really KK/QQ.

I think the flop is a clear check/fold. Yes it may be a weak cbet but it can certainly be a scared AK/AA and we all know how most villains like to fold those...Raising flop and shoving turn is a suicide plan imo. I guess once you do raise the flop you should shove (would be nice to block some high hearts and preferbly the Ah) that turn but I really hate the flop raise to begin with.

Not trying to be an asshole here but I think there’s a lot of spewing going on here and you are just ending up being lucky that you’re good/they fold.

No worries. I'm not offended. There is a lot of spewing - I think for me the zone/anonymous/fast fold format psychologically induces this style of play. Playing non-anonymous 6 or 8 handed I dont think I can try this stuff very often as observant players will catch on.

With the 99 hand its not so much analysis but from Ed Miller's the Course, 'you check, I bet.' V showed so much aggression pre- and on flop, even calling my raise (which probably looks like a FD to someone with 6 seconds to decide what to do) and then checked when the FD comes in. This check is a sign of weakness or deference to my having acquired the initiative when I raised. Either way I think Hero checking here will likely lose the hand. I do have one heart so tiny blocker to him having the FD and that gives me a sliver of equity to hit the FD on the river if called. I don't like my sizing given stack depth, would have preferer pot or overbetting so the real risk I felt when jamming there is that as its less than pot do I generate enough FE. A desperate move for a desperate spot. Not low variance for sure.

I have been calling 3 bets preflop lighter more often lately, mostly with PP 88+ and mostly IP and have been surprised at how those hands have played. I haven't looked at all the hole cards but it seems like in this pool, V is 3 bet bluffing a lot with low PP and the low Axs. So I am often winning in those situation when V does not make a hand. With the JJ hand, I see V 3 betting for value with lots of AK and AQ even AJ and am realizing that there are 48 combos of these hands that miss a low board like that compared to 18 combos of AA, KK and QQ so when they slow down it if often because they miss. I think my goal there is to protect my hand and try and deny their equity realization on future streets by betting to get a fold. I'm ahead but need protection from Broadway cards coming on future streets making V a winning hand. I think if I had jammed flop there or the 5h was spades instead and didn't give him the NFD he would have folded to my jam. Granted that is not a great call pre as he three bet multiway and I am OOP and JJ is probably at the bottom of my calling range there.

In both of these hands, I was trying to fight out of a bad spot I had gotten into calling 3bets pre. 99 worked and JJ almost worked! I can't keep just folding pre to aggression. I need to call 3 bets with decent hands and figure out how to navigate these spots, To quote Ethan Lau, Rampage Poker, 'folding is boring.' :)

It is fun though and I'm playing recreationally. I do want to improve so am open to the feedback.

Last edited:
No worries. I'm not offended. There is a lot of spewing - I think for me the zone/anonymous/fast fold format psychologically induces this style of play. Playing non-anonymous 6 or 8 handed I dont think I can try this stuff very often as observant players will catch on.
With the 99 hand its not so much analysis but from Eric
It is fun though and I'm playing recreationally. I do want to improve so am open to the feedback.
I’m glad, I like that you post a lot of hands. It’s fun! And to be fair, I don’t play any zoom/fast fold myself so maybe my analyses are off, I don’t know.

I’m glad, I like that you post a lot of hands. It’s fun! And to be fair, I don’t play any zoom/fast fold myself so maybe my analyses are off, I don’t know.
I think we're all wrong! But it is fun to hypothesize. Gotta do something to distract us from the mundane 9-5 grind :)
Keep sharing your analysis! Interaction is what makes PCF a great place.

Just lost a couple of buy-ins in P-Stars (5/10c). Still 10 buy-ins up.
Flush (Q high) to flush (K high).
Top set (K) to K's full house with 10s (I had KQ). The fateful 10 appeared on the river, while I had bet 2/3 pot on each and every betting round..
Already tilted, so God knows how much I 'll lose tomorrow against His All Shrewdness @Eriks :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom