.25/.50 PLO hand - the biggest pot we've ever had at the Heritage Club (1 Viewer)

Sucks to not have real backup, but against a maniac get it in and try to enjoy the ride. :nailbite:

So let me talk through my logic here, and would be curious for feedback. I tanked for a good 2 or 3 minutes.

Maniacs preflop report doesnt really give us any sort of ranging on him. @Darsons pot is a flush or combo draw, meaning it would cut the outs further for any other draws. I also hold the 5 of clubs for additional card removal. So less afraid of monster draws than I would have been given the action.

And just not feeling this is JJ, though know it very well could be. The only hand I'm afraid of running into given the above. And seeing the turn, I'll get it in as long as its not a flush card. So I call. Consider jamming, but with so little behind it doesnt have real fold equity and figure I can still now out on turn to a real scare card.

Thoughts on this before I continue the action?

You really have to know the maniac well to make this call. Because the odds of your hand improving are slim, which is just a bad spot to be in PLO.

Board pairing Jack's either kills your hand or gives villian 9 outs to redraw. Villian could have the flush draw with a jack here too. The best news possible I suppose is villian is overplaying bottom set.

Villain is a very good friend of mine so I won’t post any thoughts until we’re done since I have a reasonable read on him. Suffice to say though, his motivations may not be typical!

The next time I come to Brookshire for work, I want to play in your game. Seems like such a fun group. :tup:
This was @MrCatPants poker palace - tuxedos and champagne only!

I think you'll win this hand more often than you lose it the way you describe the villians style of play. You will of course lose in this spot sometimes. I don't like just calling though. Either he's drawing for it or you won't be able to get out on the river anyhow, so you might as well put some money in the pot now. You are already pot committed.

Yup. But you'd be welcome @Saoliver.
I can pull off a tux. :sneaky:

1578797815049.gif

Villain has positional advantage and gains more from Hero just calling than Hero does.

Ok, coming down the homestretch here. Hero calls maniac's repot.

Hero holds: :7h::6h::6d::5c:
Flop is - :jd::6c::2c:

@Darson is in small blind, and is a member here so I won't post my read on him :) - approximately $190 remaining
@MrCatPants is in big blind, perceived as super awesome at poker - approximately $100 remaining
Villain is on the button, action maniac who either pots or folds preflop; probably a 80% VPIP as well - approximately $200 remaining

Turn is :8d:

Action on hero.

Last edited:
Hero checks.
Button pushes all in and covers hero.

Pot is $300.

Bet we are facing is approximately $100. Action?

Check call... You hit your 2outer and you want him to bluff, let's be honest... You are not folding anyway

You are only losing to 88 and JJ right now and I doubt it's 8s the way it was played so far. So really only losing to 3 combos of J's.

You are probably up against an over pocket pair ( AA, KK, QQ or 10s ) or a flopped two pair. Maybe a club flush draw? Less likely a Diamond flush. But you are still most likely in the lead.

So I say rip it in, and if you are up against Js or 8s, you still have your open ended straight draw or the case 6 otherwise you are hoping for a clean run out on the river.

But then again, see above.

If you called in the flop, then you might as well keep going, the turn didn't change anything but help you. You're either ahead and have a draw also OR you're still behind and was calling pre/ flop pretty wide.

Last edited:
You are only losing to 88 and JJ right now and I doubt it's 8s the way it was played so far. So really only losing to 3 combos of J's.

Just about the entire deck (except an ace or a board pair) makes a straight on the river and the only nut straight hero can make is with a non-diamond 4.

So hero has had only 4 outs to the certain nuts. Maybe 3 more deuces are good for a full if Villian doesn't have JJ or 88. Hero is getting 3:1 on a call but is pretty much screwed unless somehow villian is capped at two pair here and limited other ways to draw out on a set.

I think I am have been pro fold on every decision point in this hand. I remain there.

I’m either folding or jamming to his $100 pot bet on the flop and running it twice - which is pretty much always an option in the PLO games I play in. I think flatting is my least favorite option.

fold pre, fold flop. While we may win a big pot from time to time with holdings like this, I generally prefer to have a positional advantage AND be closing the action, neither of which is the case. These types of holdings flop 2nd best hands that can get people into a lot of trouble post flop.

We've got a whale in our PLO game in Tampa who flopped bottom set of 6's on a two flush flop with just a gutshot straight draw as backup and she called off a 7k stack on that flop against one of the pros in the game who flopped top set. You do not want to put yourself in spots like that deep

Hero calls.

For some of you, remember this guy has been potting preflop with about 80 percent of his hands. The aggro is strong with this one.

Maniac turns over middling flush draw and gutshot straight low straight draw. Turn bricks with a queen of spades.

My thoughts:
- Villain's stated objective throughout the game was to bust me! He'll play until his wallet is empty or he has everyone's money - the stakes we play are not painful for him so you're not gonna scare him off a hand
- He's hyper agro which works to his advantage with passive players (like me and most of my buddies) but can be damn annoying
- Both of you probably knew I was on a flush draw which I was (I had something like :ac::qc:xx)
- Villain's re-pot was to get me to commit my stack which I didn't - he does this a lot so I only fall for his shenanigans if drunk
- His range is wide so he could have anything but he'll make you pay to see. Personally, I don't get involved unless I have the nuts

You're a brave man getting onto this roller-coaster!

- Both of you probably knew I was on a flush draw which I was (I had something like :ac::qc:xx)

That was my read on your fold. Figured you were blocking some of his outs accordingly as I just didn't see him having JJ (or then 88).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom