.25/.50 PLO hand - the biggest pot we've ever had at the Heritage Club (2 Viewers)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
So here's an interesting hand from last night, which ended up as the biggest pot we've ever had in my .25/.50 game

@Darson is in small blind, and is a member here so I won't post my read on him :) - approximately $200 stack
@MrCatPants is in big blind, perceived as super awesome at poker - approximately $250 stack
Villain is on the button, action maniac who either pots or folds preflop; probably a 80% VPIP as well - approximately $325 stack

Hero holds: :7h::6h::6d::5c:

UTG +1 preflop pot raise, one MP caller.
Button Pot raises to approximately $8
Small Blind calls
Hero?

So here's an interesting hand from last night, which ended up as the biggest pot we've ever had in my .25/.50 game

@Darson is in small blind, and is a member here so I won't post my read on him :) - approximately $200 stack
@MrCatPants is in big blind, perceived as super awesome at poker - approximately $250 stack
Villain is on the button, action maniac who either pots or folds preflop; probably a 80% VPIP as well - approximately $325 stack

UTG +1 preflop pot raise, one MP caller.
Button Pot raises to approximately $8
Small Blind calls
Hero?

:watching::watching::watching:

Yeah, this is a better hand for the minimum, but I don't like it for a raise. It's tough to flop the nut anything. Any flop not containing 4-3-x is going to be a trouble spot. There are no six hi flops without a possible flopped straight which limits the value of the set.

I think it's a fold against a raise.

But since this is PLO, this option is always on the table.
giphy.gif

The main reason I said fold is the strong possibility that the villain pots it after you flat. It’s a tempting hand to see a flop, but even against a loose maniac your hand is in pretty bad shape. Even when you flop a set or a straight draw you are often in big trouble, and it’s going to cost a lot to try to realize that equity. Also, I consider a 7-high flush draw pretty worthless, more of a reverse implied odds problem than an asset in your hand.

The main reason I said fold is the strong possibility that the villain pots it after you flat. It’s a tempting hand to see a flop, but even against a loose maniac your hand is in pretty bad shape. Even when you flop a set or a straight draw you are often in big trouble, and it’s going to cost a lot to try to realize that equity. Also, I consider a 7-high flush draw pretty worthless, more of a reverse implied odds problem than an asset in your hand.
Totally agree with you generally, but the button villain does indeed pot preflop with 80% of his hands. Also villain was the last raider, but UTG plus one and MP could still repot, yes.

Ok. Enough input for the boring part. We call, due to button's table image and knowing UTG + 1 isn't really capable of 4 betting. And also, it's late and we are on our last orbit.

UTG +1 and MP both fold

@Darson is in small blind, and is a member here so I won't post my read on him :) - approximately $190 remaining
@MrCatPants is in big blind, perceived as super awesome at poker - approximately $240 remaining
Villain is on the button, action maniac who either pots or folds preflop; probably a 80% VPIP as well - approximately $315 remaining

Pot is $28

Flop comes:
:jd::6c::2c:

@Darson (small blind) pots for $28

Hero?

Bleh. Middle set against a two flush is just such a trouble hand. At least this isn't a very straight heavy board so it might be okay so long as jjxx isn't out.

But every turn card is conceivably bad. I'd rather have a straight draw here than middle set.

Bleh. Middle set against a two flush is just such a trouble hand. At least this isn't a very straight heavy board so it might be okay so long as jjxx isn't out.

But every turn card is conceivably bad. I'd rather have a straight draw here than middle set.
I would say that "Bleh" is not an action. :) You folding here, or cringe calling?

I would say that "Bleh" is not an action. :) You folding here, or cringe calling?

It would be a cringe call, and if I were to make it I would have to talk myself out of a villian having jjxx, and hoping for a deuce, an offsuit 4, or the case 6.

Really looking like fold is the play.

Fold pre. Since I have no idea about how SB plays, flop is difficult. Prolly just fold then.

The only turn card I like is a 6, maybe a 3 or 4 to give us the nut gutshot. But no clubs. We may be ahead, but we can't consider action here without considering what to do on the turn. There is also the late position player to consider. I've liked nothing about the hand so far.

I’m guessing set over set has quads show up on the river

Fold pre, a lot of ways to get in trouble with this hand. If you flush, it's a super low flush, if you set it's most likely bottom or middle, and if you straight it's likely also the sucker end. There's very few flops where you hit really well with this hand. Low cards like this in Omaha just doesn't play very well in big pots.

As played on the flop I'm not sure we can fold to one bet as it's a pretty decent flop for us. But SB donking out full pot seems strong to me. Either a combo draw (but not really many out there), or a set/two pair. I would probably call and hope button folds so we have position the rest of the hand, and proceed with caution.

Alright, lets continue.

Hero calls.

(Mainiac) button repots - so a $100 raise.

@Darson in small blind verbally expresses regret for bringing his maniac friend and pretty quickly folds

$100 to hero

Flop is - :jd::6c::2c:

@Darson is in small blind, and is a member here so I won't post my read on him :) - approximately $190 remaining
@MrCatPants is in big blind, perceived as super awesome at poker - approximately $215 remaining
Villain is on the button, action maniac who either pots or folds preflop; probably a 80% VPIP as well - approximately $200 remaining

Pot is $200

Call. See turn. Unless the hundo behind isn't a deal breaker. Then I'd just ship it and accept my fate. Depends on my feelings on the stakes of the game and bankroll.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom