Cash Game .25/.50 Game Chip Denominations (1 Viewer)

robomac91

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the best breakdown of chips for a .25/.50 game. Seems to be what me and my friends want to play regularly so want to get a set built around that.

That's a reliable breakdown. Depending on how your game plays, I could make a case for more 1's or 5's, if your budget and space allow for it. Maybe even more quarters, but probably not.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the best breakdown of chips for a .25/.50 game. Seems to be what me and my friends want to play regularly so want to get a set built around that.

Number of players and what is the buy-in?

600 Chip set break down for 25/50c stake

25c x 100
$1 x 200
$5 x 200
$25 x 100 OR $25 x 80 + $100 x 20

This is exactly what I use for a 1 table game.

PXL_20221201_212155364.jpg

True, big stacks…but all those .25 will be hardly used. Even if everyone limps, that’s only 20 on the table. I can’t see needing 400 quarters.

You don't. We buy in for $100 in our .25/.50 game. The quarters are simply placeholders. $1 chips are the workhorse the first couple hours and then the $5 chips become the workhorse for the rest of the evening

Another vote for 100, 200, 200, 100.

The bank is £3,725. Total buy-ins have ranged from £1,200 to £2,200 so far.

...you can definitely build nice stacks with this breakdown.

184968914_547188970231977_2370652850089359478_n.jpg

Plus it means non chippers who stack chips in 4s and 7s don't have too many 25p chips taking up 12 inches of space along the rail. The perfect mix between efficiency and nice stacks.

True, big stacks…but all those .25 will be hardly used. Even if everyone limps, that’s only 20 on the table. I can’t see needing 400 quarters.

@Colquhoun. What do you use to help gauge how many chips of a certain denomination are going to be used in a given night? The guy only has two denoms on the table.

Is it just human nature that says “I’m done betting small. I bet a $1?” And that’s what gets used from then on?
Or is it again human nature and we usually wind up doing what is easiest - using 1 chip verses 4 chips for the same $value?

Your comment makes it sound like your opinion is numbers based. If so, what are you calculating to help gauge?

Another vote for 100, 200, 200, 100.

The bank is £3,725. Total buy-ins have ranged from £1,200 to £2,200 so far.

...you can definitely build nice stacks with this breakdown.

184968914_547188970231977_2370652850089359478_n.jpg

Plus it means non chippers who stack chips in 4s and 7s don't have too many 25p chips taking up 12 inches of space along the rail. The perfect mix between efficiency and nice stacks.

Nice looking chips. What are the blues? 25 Quid?

@Colquhoun. What do you use to help gauge how many chips of a certain denomination are going to be used in a given night? The guy only has two denoms on the table.

Is it just human nature that says “I’m done betting small. I bet a $1?” And that’s what gets used from then on?
Or is it again human nature and we usually wind up doing what is easiest - using 1 chip verses 4 chips for the same $value?

Your comment makes it sound like your opinion is numbers based. If so, what are you calculating to help gauge?
Play a standard .25/.50 hand with me:
Early open to min-raise $1, a min 3-bet to $2, two additional callers. So we’re assuming ~40 quarters in the pot and we’ve not even seen a flop? Then what? 80 more quarters on the next round of betting?

Mathematically, a “standard” .25/.50 is going to outgrow quarters extremely fast. Play out a few hands and one quickly realizes the same goes for $1s.

I’m not a $5-maxi by any stretch but I just don’t see how a .25/.50 game gets played with 400 quarters.

Early open to min-raise $1, a min 3-bet to $2, two additional callers. So we’re assuming ~40 quarters in the pot and we’ve not even seen a flop? Then what? 80 more quarters on the next round of betting?

Mathematically, a “standard” .25/.50 is going to outgrow quarters extremely fast. Play out a few hands and one quickly realizes the same goes for $1s.

I’m not a $5-maxi by any stretch but I just don’t see how a .25/.50 game gets played with 400 quarters.
Bring my mom to your game, listen to her complain about why her $20 buy in has less than 50 chips, and then you'll learn how. :LOL: :laugh: She used to watch a lot of the WSOP episodes in the ESPN days, and really likes how it looks when everyone has over 100 chips. It's just her preference, and I do it cause she's my mom.

Bring my mom to your game, listen to her complain about why her $20 buy in has less than 50 chips, and then you'll learn how. :LOL: :laugh: She used to watch a lot of the WSOP episodes in the ESPN days, and really likes how it looks when everyone has over 100 chips. It's just her preference, and I do it cause she's my mom.
40 bigs deep.

I’d say give .05/.10 a try with your mom — then she could have tons of chips and start playing aggressively & strategically like the old WSOP days, too!

Great example. Thank you! I see how that can get annoying fairly quickly. Human nature.

Hope I won the hand! I was in for over 50 quarters.

I agree with this. I have a hard time getting much more than 100 $0.25s and 150 $1s on my table 8-9 handed. The $5s just kinda take over, pretty early in the night.

200 $1s seems like it would play just fine but IMO you shouldn't need any more than that.

200 $5s is enough, that's generally when I break out the $20s. More $5s would also work fine but I like to have a bigger chip hit the table at some point later in the session, rather than endless towers of red. Personal preference I guess...plus my game doesn't get crazy deep we haven't cracked 3000 bb

Last edited:
.25 x 200
1.00 x 200
5.00 x 300
25.00 x 100

This arrangement has worked for us in the past with little to no issues.

I'm sure 100 quarters work as suggested by lots of folks in this thread. My preference is for 120 as it gives 10 players, 12 each. For me it's the right balance of not having too many quarters on the table, yet reduces need to make change. I've also decided I don't like mixed racks so I've started getting 2 racks of fracs...

20221108_231727.jpg

Its just the nature of betting. Nobody wants to count out dozens of quarters for a bet or call. No matter what your stakes, your lowest denoms are really nothing more than blinds chips. The next 2 levels of chips are your "Workhorse" chips, and the last level of chips are used as "wealth stores". They arent likely to be played except for an all-in, but it means you dont have to deal with racks of quarters taking up all your rail space and getting in the way, getting knocked over as you try to play.

edit- that advise is for a NLHE game. If you are playing limit, you need a very different breakdown and total quantities of chips.

I also think its funny that there seems to be a hate for using more than 1 rack of fracs but using 6+ racks of $5s is totally acceptable...
To be fair, it’s much easier (and faster) to count out $10 in $5s than it is quarters.

To be fair, it’s much easier (and faster) to count out $10 in $5s than it is quarters.
I'm not advocating for a ton of any denom... the same issues that arise with a mountain of fracs arise with a mountain of $5s (or any denomination), right? I find it curious that it's OK to have an extremely large amount of one particular denomination but not another...

I appreciate the efficiency brigade here, but count me in the camp that likes to let everyone have some stacks. Even if they are not being used every hand it’s nice to have some piles of quarters around to shuffle and move around and generally feel like a big shot. I realize it depends on the game, but the following his work well for me:

Start stack (Minimum $50 buy in)
.25 x 20
$1 x 20
$5 x 5 (x10 if buying in for $100 max)

Rebuys are with $5s and $25s

Minimum practical working set:

.25 x 200
$1 x 200
$5 x 200
$25 x 50

My actual set is 200/300/300/160/40 which completely covers any stakes that I would feel comfortable with my house.

I appreciate the efficiency brigade here, but count me in the camp that likes to let everyone have some stacks. Even if they are not being used every hand it’s nice to have some piles of quarters around to shuffle and move around and generally feel like a big shot. I realize it depends on the game, but the following his work well for me:

Start stack (Minimum $50 buy in)
.25 x 20
$1 x 20
$5 x 5 (x10 if buying in for $100 max)

Rebuys are with $5s and $25s

Minimum practical working set:

.25 x 200
$1 x 200
$5 x 200
$25 x 50

My actual set is 200/300/300/160/40 which completely covers any stakes that I would feel comfortable with my house.
I think this is the perfect starting stack and exactly what I use in my games. First bunch of rebuys are all in $5, and maybe towards the end of the night after we’ve lost a few players I’ll chip up some of the quarters and dollars for a $25 or 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom