.25/.25 or .25/.50 friendly home games (1 Viewer)

grillman46

Sitting Out
Reaction score
what opening bet makes the limpers fold in your home games? usually in my home game, it is $3+, more towards the end of the night. .25/.25 and .25/.50 play the same.

Nobody folds in my 50NL home game. Standard opening raise is probably $3.50, but you can still expect 3+ callers. End of the night probably more like $6.

I don't know what happened, but my game has gotten more and more nitty over the last 5 years. Standard opening size is 3bb and usually no more than 3 people see the flop. This is at 5ct/10ct btw...
The plan is to spice things up post pandemic with circus limit games and higher stakes NL games for a selection of my more gamble happy players.

Depends who is placing the bet, and who is present for the most part. 3-4x normally does the trick, unless it comes from Under the Gun; group seems to have a weird ability to make those family pots.

what opening bet makes the limpers fold in your home games?
Depends on who is doing the raising.

I will generally call 3x opens more than 5x opens, unless the raiser is getting out of line. Then I might call 5x guy more often than an ABC guy opening for 3x.

Sounds like "I saw a guy use bet sizing on tv to make a guy fold once, why doesn't it work in real life?"

Depends on who is the first limper who has to call after the raise. If he's a station, he tends to induce a bunch more calls because people "get priced in." But it generally takes 6x+ to get limpers to fold in my (weak) game.

We play a .25/.50 Omaha H/L cash game at our home game after the NLHE tournament and literally no raise will chase anyone out. Part of it is a tradition -- when we started playing it for fun, it seemed like everyone who raised preflop lost. As a result, almost no one will fold preflop. You go all-in preflop and you will probably get at least one caller. We don't play for huge stakes either though, since most players only buy-in for $10 at a time.

I’d say anything over $2 is likely to induce folds in my .25/.50.
And this all for fun talk is nonsense, if you ask me. You could have a limped family pot, but if I’m in the small blind with 2-7, I’m still folding, to save that quarter.

You could have a limped family pot, but if I’m in the small blind with 2-7, I’m still folding, to save that quarter.
You're getting twice the odds of everyone else at the table. Spend your quarter.

Depends on the players. I know guys that play one hand an hour and I know guys who have never folded preflop ever. Personally, I don't get the insanely tight players. Never mind that it's not a great winning strategy, it's just plain boring. Playing like that makes poker as exciting as watching paint dry.

My players just keep walking up the ladder to the point where people with jacks will open raise to $7.50 and about half the time someone will call. Lol. I think most of the players are rolled for deeper than .25/.50 which might be part of the problem. I don’t mind though makes for fun nights and lots of rebuys.

A 5c/10c game I was at last week routinely had preflop raises of 10-20 big blinds. I tried a standard 3bb preflop raise and typically was 3-bet up to a dollar or two (10-20bb).

Most of the local games I play in, which are typically at those stakes, play much like $1/$2. A "standard" raise in 25c/50c won't push anyone out who is holding a hand with any sort of implied value. Pre-flop raise to $5ish starts to work most of the time.

opening bet sizing - have to size up if you want to limit the field. I find 3x is generally too small in a live setting.

to loosen up the game - introduce alcohol and straddles :)

Most of the local games I play in, which are typically at those stakes, play much like $1/$2. A "standard" raise in 25c/50c won't push anyone out who is holding a hand with any sort of implied value. Pre-flop raise to $5ish starts to work most of the time.
If that's the case, than pre-flop raisers are paying off too often when the villains hit.

opening bet sizing - have to size up if you want to limit the field. I find 3x is generally too small in a live setting.

to loosen up the game - introduce alcohol and straddles :)

Love the straddles, depending on how we sit, sometimes our Group will have 3 in a row straddle.

Our Group is also loving Bomb Pots, timer goes off on the hour.

Love the straddles, depending on how we sit, sometimes our Group will have 3 in a row straddle.

Our Group is also loving Bomb Pots, timer goes off on the hour.

I love bomb pots too LOL. Love the hourly timer, going to incorporate that idea in :)

My buddy hosted a 5c/10c game last weekend for his birthday. Three of us regularly play 25c/50c but the rest were noobies so we kept the stakes low. By the end of the night, the 25c chips were forgotten about and min raise was $1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom