2019 HOF Stump thread (2 Viewers)

Regardless of having an independent annual contest (oscar-type) or not, especially if not, consider making the HOF a standing one.
So, the current HOF would be the sum of all entries (sets) voted throughout the years up to now.
Whenever a good set comes up (ie someone proposes it to the Committee), not necessarily annualy, the latter should put it (most probably along with other contestants too) to vote.

The annual contest (for HOF or idependently), other than being a PITA to the Committee, may suffer from poising splendid sets against each other one year and just a nice set against mediocre ones the next year.
Random (time-wise) examination and voting of sets for the HOF may suffer from lack of perspective/comparison and the "cute, why not?" problem.
This could be addressed by not having the sets (for the HOF) necessarily compete against each other, but rather getting a minimum of votes (?)
There 's a lot of room for discussion.

The annual contest (for HOF or idependently), other than being a PITA to the Committee, may suffer from poising splendid sets against each other one year and just a nice set against mediocre ones the next year.
Random (time-wise) examination and voting of sets for the HOF may suffer from lack of perspective/comparison and the "cute, why not?" problem.

Imagine creating a brand new set that's the absolute nuts to you. Then right afterwards some arbitrary committee tells you that your perfect new set isn't worthy of the HOF. Rekt.

This establishment of the HOF was controversial to begin with and just became a circle jerk for some that needed their egos stroked. Yep I said it.

Therefore it's not a surprise that it has died off and frankly I hope it stays that way as it only serves as another way to divide a community rather than celebrating each individual set for its creativity and beauty.

My own 2 cents -
We all vote for @Perthmike to head up a committee to reestablish the criteria the members of this forum want it to be. Part of the issue is everyone has different opinions of what should or should not be.
If we put the variables to a vote, then the majority of the members dictate what they want for the criteria. Boom - Criteria

Once the criteria is established someone on ViennaMike's committee needs to create a list of eligible sets based on the established criteria.
Vote on the list period. Boom - Done.
I second your nomination for VinnaMike and you to be on the committee.

Imagine creating a brand new set that's the absolute nuts to you. Then right afterwards some arbitrary committee tells you that your perfect new set isn't worthy of the HOF. Rekt.

This establishment of the HOF was controversial to begin with and just became a circle jerk for some that needed their egos stroked. Yep I said it.

Therefore it's not a surprise that it has died off and frankly I hope it stays that way as it only serves as another way to divide a community rather than celebrating each individual set for its creativity and beauty.
You 've got a lot more experience here, but if the issue is the leigitimization and iimpartiality of "the" (or any) Committee, we (but who?) could do away with it and have people submit their sets directly to public vote. Again, the height of the bar (number of votes) would be an issue for discussion.

At the end of the day, of course, I understand that this or any internet forum, unless otherwise stated, is not a polity, but rather somebody's yard, however large.
Admittedly, we 're guests of the founder(s) here, not citizens.

You 've got a lot more experience here, but if the issue is the leigitimization and iimpartiality of "the" (or any) Committee, we (but who?) could do away with it and have people submit their sets directly to public vote. Again, the height of the bar (number of votes) would be an issue for discussion.

I can't say how the current HoF committee has been operating, but everything inducted had to reach a certain number of votes from committee members before it could be presented to the membership at large.

This allowed the committee to freely discuss each set. Not just the "Ooohs" and "Ahhhs", but the negative components of a set. Nobody wants to tear down the qualities of someone's creation in front of the creator. It's like explaining to a friend that their "brilliant" child is just average. Someone will get hurt.

It's just best to look at the Pr0n, and count the "Likes". No votes, no debate, just adulation.

...and an annual calendar.

I definitely understand your point, but since a stump thread occurs to nominate a bunch of sets, the committee selection isnt arbitrary (if done correctly).

I know we all love our customs, but surely none of us are offended if they don't make HoF. That's a list reserved for the very best.

It's still a fun idea and Its one of the best threads of the year for me. As long as the process is transparent I don't see the issue, the final selection is via public vote.

I setup procurement contracts for work, this is no different to a tender evaluation panel. We just need some extra clarity around the process is all. And also make sure we remember it's just a bit if fun at the end of the day.

Damn. @Payback not pulling any punches.

What can I say.... I'm in a mood today. Might have something to do with the fact that my furnace has been out for 10 days at the rental house and the management company doesn't give two shits. Still no ETA on repairs and they won't return my phone calls.

Record breaking cold in bound tonight and I have a 4 week old baby who won't stop crying.

What can I say.... I'm in a mood today. Might have something to do with the fact that my furnace has been out for 10 days at the rental house and the management company doesn't give two shits. Still no ETA on repairs and they won't return my phone calls.

Record breaking cold in bound tonight and I have a 4 week old baby who won't stop crying.

The math adds up;) Sounds like a PITA!

The baby alone is a handful! Take care and godspeed!

Sounds like you need to get legal advise from an attorney. Especially if it gets so cold that you cannot occupy the residence. Not sure what your lease says but I'm wondering if they would be responsible to foot the bill for a hotel. I'd be livid in your situation either way.

Update: After 10 days, they stopped waiting for a part and just replaced the whole furnace. They are in the process of dodging my calls regarding a rent concession for the month. God I hate renting...

...hmmm, not so sure I agree but I get your point. Personally I always enjoyed those threads. It's been awhile but I don't really remember there being a bunch of drama. The HOF and annual Calendar threads were just fun and had nothing to do with secret group buys, sales, or politics.

Update: After 10 days, they stopped waiting for a part and just replaced the whole furnace. They are in the process of dodging my calls regarding a rent concession for the month. God I hate renting...

Happy and sad for you at the same time.

If the HOF continues, and legitimacy is something folks are questioning, my vote would be to make it standard practice that anyone on the committee who has a set in for consideration, immediately recuses themselves. Or if you’re planning to have your set considered, you don’t join the committee.

I think the previous HOF sets are all worthy, but to ME personally, many sets have an asterisk next to them, since the owner of the set was a HOF committee member at the time of selection/consideration. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t worthy of consideration or selection, just that it’d be a stronger argument if it was a set that made its way through the selection process without the owner on the committee.

Ultimately It doesn’t really matter to me. If folks wanna get their HOF groove on, so be it. It doesn’t hurt anything. just my 2 cents, looking from the outside in.

I may jump in and run this again if it has stopped.

I'd permanently take my set out if consideration for inclusion. That doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's a fun thread and generates new content. I regularly go back to the HoF resources for a read.

Alrighty. Nominating this beautiful set by @Nex

I feel honored having my set nominated, although...

Keep in mind there is a one year ineligibility period for a set. This means the initial pr0n must have been posted before 12/01/2017 in order for it to be eligible this year. Anything after can not be submitted.

...unless the rules have changed meanwhile, it's not eligible until next year. Initial pr0n uploaded November 2018.

Remember that this is essentially a voluntary thing that the committee members are taking upon themselves to do. I have a feeling it's a lot of work and I think the PCF community should be appreciative of the members that take on this workload and in turn creates a lot of good content for the forum. If a set is inducted because of friendliness to the committee members once in a while is a minor issue. Yes it's obviously not ideal, but shutting down the whole HoF at the risk of it happening seems a bit not worth it.

For me a relabeled set should not be enough to make it, as edge spot design and colors is a big part of what makes a good set. Yes, there are a lot of cool relabeled sets of there, don't get me wrong, but for the HoF I think it should be a requirement that it is full custom sets only.

I also think the Paulson custom sets should be included. Yes, not everyone is able to make custom Paulson sets, but the ones that got made are still super epic and might warrant a spot in the HoF. With all the "not-GBs" and private buys that has happened now I don't think it will be: "any Paulson set=insta HoF". Among AS/ES/SB/BTP/Berg's/HQparrots etc some of them might not be good enough across the whole line up to make it IMO, but they should all definitely be considered, and I'm sure some of them are HoF worthy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom