2018 motorcycle trip (1 Viewer)

Gold Wing? Looks like a comfy ride, but it's a wee bit larger than my Versys. A bike trip is something I'd like to do, so I'm jealous. Where are you headed?

Yeah I went from a Harley Heritage, to a Harley Ultra Limited, to the Goldwing. I tour two up with my wife now, but always preferred the big touring bikes for the riding I do.

We are headed to Nashville, and then are spending a few weeks in the surrounding states

You might consider visiting the Gibson factory. It's a great tour -- even my wife loved it.

You might consider visiting the Gibson factory. It's a great tour -- even my wife loved it.

Is that in Nashville? We are leaving here tomorrow, only came for the Opry and to spend some time downtown. Didn’t know the CMA festival was happening this weekend, it’s crazy downtown.

Wife and I are from small towns in northern Alberta, so we can’t take too much of the city lol. Can’t wait to ride some mountain roads, which is really why we came down here

Good to see the trip ended safely -- thanks for the vicarious enjoyment of the blog and pictures (without the sore butt).

I do notice that Florida, Texas, MD, NJ, and NY are all white states on your map, ahem. You're skipping all the good ones!

And I assume that since you've seen the light, your PCF name is now shorthand for "HonDaGeno"? :p

Haha we can go with that PCF name, the bike was much cooler, quieter, smoother than the Harley. And much better performance too, it would be hard to go back to HD for a touring bike.

The goal is eventually to check off all the states, just to say I have, but there’s so much one misses when you just pass through. There’s a lifetime of bike trips just in North America alone!

With a little more time on each trip I could have checked off more states, and I eventually plan to see all the “good ones” lol. NY should be checked though, I passed through upstate 4 years ago heading west

Not sure about the fuel calculations, though. 13,869 km is ~8617 miles. At 48.4 mpg, that would only be 178 gallons. At $881 fuel cost, that would be ~$4.90/gallon. Is one of those numbers wrong?

It is possible to ship the bike to a distant starting point, then ride it back, if that helps your scheduling. My brother did that once, shipping two bikes to Seattle, then riding them back east. That would save repeat weeks of riding through states you've visited several times before.

I was once young and dumb enough to ride a 1965 Honda 305 Superhawk from NJ to California in six days. Could hardly walk afterward, and got the distance riding bug out of my system for once and for all... :cool:

I do notice that Florida, Texas, MD, NJ, and NY are all white states on your map, ahem. You're skipping all the good ones!

Good choice skipping that one. BOOMER SOONER!! ;)
(college football season is right around the corner)

Not sure about the fuel calculations, though. 13,869 km is ~8617 miles. At 48.4 mpg, that would only be 178 gallons. At $881 fuel cost, that would be ~$4.90/gallon. Is one of those numbers wrong?

It is possible to ship the bike to a distant starting point, then ride it back, if that helps your scheduling. My brother did that once, shipping two bikes to Seattle, then riding them back east. That would save repeat weeks of riding through states you've visited several times before.

I was once young and dumb enough to ride a 1965 Honda 305 Superhawk from NJ to California in six days. Could hardly walk afterward, and got the distance riding bug out of my system for once and for all... :cool:

My numbers are imperial mpg, works out to around 40 US mpg. That should jive with the numbers then.

I’ve done a few Iron Butt rides, but they’re much easier on big comfy touring bikes. I’ve never considered shipping bikes, don’t mind a few days of pounding slab every now and then

Ah, the old Imperial gallons dodge. :rolleyes:

I've never owned a big touring bike. A Magna 750 and the Hornet 900 (919) that I still have are as big as I've wanted to wrestle with. Never even wanted a BMW. Different strokes, just like with cars.

Your long rides definitely make for better storytelling, for sure!

Awesome trip and well done documenting it. Look forward to your next one.

Thank you for reading guys. North America is so beautiful, and I’m lucky enough to be able to see some of it

Every province but Newfoundland. In 2014 I had ferry tickets booked, but the forecast was for 2 inches of rain over the two days I had allowed for that province. I wisely decided not to go.

As a native Newfoundlander, you really have to get out there. But yeah, the weather can be a bit unpredictable.

I regret not going, but I didn’t really have enough time scheduled and the rain would have cut it down even more. I will go someday though, would love to see it

I was looking forward to these pictures from our ride on the Tail of the Dragon. Thanks to killboy.com I finally have some pictures of the wife and I on our bike

6ED3337E-CF4A-4879-A2ED-51126176DD02.jpeg
E2599773-82CD-44BA-80B1-9EC53C0FEE36.jpeg
90655495-DF97-46DF-A064-92E5FB3557B8.jpeg

Thanks to killboy.com I finally have some pictures of the wife and I on our bike
So this dude sits in the bushes all day - taking pictures of people riding bikes. They then buy the photos. What a genius!

So this dude sits in the bushes all day - taking pictures of people riding bikes. They then buy the photos. What a genius!

Yep that's what he does! Not sure if you're familiar with that road, but it's a bucket list ride for bikes and sports cars. 318 curves in 11 miles!

Yep that's what he does! Not sure if you're familiar with that road, but it's a bucket list ride for bikes and sports cars. 318 curves in 11 miles!
I'm not! And I'm glad I don't have to drive it. I'm a city boy, and curves scare the shit out of me (unless on a woman).

I'm not! And I'm glad I don't have to drive it. I'm a city boy, and curves scare the shit out of me (unless on a woman).

Lol, it was a great little ride, one of the highlights of the trip for me. My wife did get a little tired of the curves, I could do that for days (and did)

Lol, it was a great little ride, one of the highlights of the trip for me. My wife did get a little tired of the curves, I could do that for days (and did)
What's the appeal? The rush from wondering if you are going to tip over?

Leaving today for another week or so, it will be a shorter trip, and the wife is staying at home this time. I'm going with the father-in-law, his co-worker, and a friend of his co-worker. Should be a great little ride, with really no plan at all at this time!

I was looking forward to these pictures from our ride on the Tail of the Dragon. Thanks to killboy.com I finally have some pictures of the wife and I on our bike....

Glad you enjoyed it, but the cops have been miserable on the Dragon for the last ten or so years...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom