2018 Custom Chip HOF Thread (1 Viewer)

There was a lot of discussion about this by the HoF committee.

The hardest part, it that there were a lot of deserving sets in Year 1 - Basically, they all could be in the HoF. So the decision was made that...
  • A set could only be voted on in 2 consecutive years.
  • If it was voted on in 2 years and failed, it would be subjected to a 1 year suspension
  • It would then be allowed 1 more vote. If it failed on its 3rd try, it would forever be ineligible.
That makes sense. I can see why 2015 was the toughest year. It was basically a collection of all the great sets from the CT days accumulated over a decade.

When does the poll go up for 2019 nominees?
I understand the new committee is working on it.

It does not look like a lot, but the committee members do a lot of work. They must debate on various levels. Importance of the set matters, not just "wow, pretty". Then they have to get photos - not an easy task. CT lost most of the photos. The Star Ships chip buy saw some great chip designers leave in frustration.

Getting back-stories and new photos is a task. Putting the story down into a limited number of words - it's like writing a high-school english paper all over again.

Give them time, they'll get it done.

I understand the new committee is working on it.

It does not look like a lot, but the committee members do a lot of work. They must debate on various levels. Importance of the set matters, not just "wow, pretty". Then they have to get photos - not an easy task. CT lost most of the photos. The Star Ships chip buy saw some great chip designers leave in frustration.

Getting back-stories and new photos is a task. Putting the story down into a limited number of words - it's like writing a high-school english paper all over again.

Give them time, they'll get it done.

awesome :tup:

Still nothing. Is this not happening this year? I always love the hof thread.

Probably about time to convene for next year...:confused
What is going on with it? Aren't the rosies due to be eligible this year too.

It's my favourite thread of the year. So much pron and discussion about epic sets.

I want to be the dictator on the committee. That's the only way my Sunsets will ever make it (I understand, solids, blah blah blah ) Doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to see it lol.

Plus, I think the Rosie's are my all time favorite set. They "NEED" to be in the HOF.

I love solids! Now, are you saying there are persons here who don't like them? What are they, unwashed heathen? ;)
While I personally do not care for solids, I certainly understand that there is an artistic aspect. Connecting the calm (no edgespots) and the serene (Sunsets are a perfect example).

Unfortunately, the HoF comes down to pop, flash, and pretty colors when the masses vote. It took me a few years to understand that popularity and artistic accomplishment are not one and the same.
Where do we sign up?
There is a very good reason that nobody that was on the Hall of Fame committee is on the committee anymore. Trust me, you do not want to sign up. :yawn:

While I personally do not care for solids, I certainly understand that there is an artistic aspect. Connecting the calm (no edgespots) and the serene (Sunsets are a perfect example).

Unfortunately, the HoF comes down to pop, flash, and pretty colors when the masses vote. It took me a few years to understand that popularity and artistic accomplishment are not one and the same.

There is a very good reason that nobody that was on the Hall of Fame committee is on the committee anymore. Trust me, you do not want to sign up. :yawn:

Thank toy for the compliments. I can't wait for them to hit the felt at my meet up!

20190130_173011.jpg
20190210_092024.jpg
20190130_173006.jpg
20190130_173014_001.jpg
20190130_173020.jpg

The committee has apparently retired. The committee was self appointed not somehow formally sanctioned by devine right. While the fun was supported by the site, it was not decided or sanctioned by the site management. Step up and create a new committee if you’re interested. Pick some people and ask the folks that did it before how they did it. Or make new rules. The prior committee asked for input and then made their decision. If you’re worried about nominating chips owned by committee members, I’d say that past practice seems to be fine with that.

Butler’s Clermont Lounge solids are one of my favorite sets of all time.

The committee has apparently retired. The committee was self appointed not somehow formally sanctioned by devine right. While the fun was supported by the site, it was not decided or sanctioned by the site management. Step up and create a new committee if you’re interested. Pick some people and ask the folks that did it before how they did it. Or make new rules. The prior committee asked for input and then made their decision. If you’re worried about nominating chips owned by committee members, I’d say that past practice seems to be fine with that.
That's about what I expected. I'm certainly happy to pitch in and make to happen. I just didn't want to step on any toes.

I always loved the yearly thread and I think it's a nice way to celebrate some of the fantastic customs sets that we have made in the community. I'd hate to lose that.

That's about what I expected. I'm certainly happy to pitch in and make to happen. I just didn't want to step on any toes.

I always loved the yearly thread and I think it's a nice way to celebrate some of the fantastic customs sets that we have made in the community. I'd hate to lose that.

Looks like we have a new chair. Congrats Mike? I’m sure your committee will do a fine job!

While the fun was supported by the site, it was not decided or sanctioned by the site management.

Hi Jeff! I'm not sure I follow you here. It isn't sanctioned but there is a dedicated section in resources for it? Now I'm really confused.

Hi Jeff! I'm not sure I follow you here. It isn't sanctioned but there is a dedicated section in resources for it? Now I'm really confused.
Sorry if I confused you. The site (Tommy or any of the staff) didn’t dictate or approve how it would be done or who was on the committee. My point to him was if no one will speak up that they are the “committee” and all of the prior people have publicly stepped back, and the spirit moves him, he should take the initiative and step up and propose a way forward if he wants. The sets the “committee” picked to nominate and then were voted in have a separate place to be posted, but the rules were made up and discussed by the initiative of Tom and the other folks excited about a HOF.

Hope that helps to clarify.

Sorry if I confused you. The site (Tommy or any of the staff) didn’t dictate or approve how it would be done or who was on the committee. My point to him was if no one will speak up that they are the “committee” and all of the prior people have publicly stepped back, and the spirit moves him, he should take the initiative and step up and propose a way forward if he wants. The sets the “committee” picked to nominate and then were voted in have a separate place to be posted, but the rules were made up and discussed by the initiative of Tom and the other folks excited about a HOF.

Hope that helps to clarify.

Yes now I understand and you are correct. I was on a committee with Tom, PZ, k9, and a few others so know how it was done. The committee acted alone without any input from Tommy and other site admin. :tup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom