2017 SOLAR ECLIPSE Catch All Thread (1 Viewer)

96% coverage out my front door. Close enough for me.... both sons in the path of totality at their respective colleges. Both colleges issued free glasses to all students - very cool. One in Carbondale, IL, the other in Cape Girardeau, MO.

96% coverage out my front door. Close enough for me.... both sons in the path of totality at their respective colleges. Both colleges issued free glasses to all students - very cool. One in Carbondale, IL, the other in Cape Girardeau, MO.
How far a drive to totality? The difference is night and day. :sneaky:

Since my class is small, we are going to go outside and view it later this afternoon if the weather cooperates.

We are straight chillin' at a park in Podunk, Oregon, with a gaggle of strangers, and the sun is looking a bit like a banana.

Good times.

DHxNlfsXkAEvves.jpg

2:24 will be peak eclipse time where I am. About 90% totality. Will have my students outside with solar film strips for viewing.

2024 eclipse will go from Indianapolis to Toledo ish, along those lines, so will be a little more total in my town, assuming I am still here.

Took my solar film out a few minutes ago. Was about 10% covered, so it had started.

About 95% of totality here. Heavy cloud cover through the event, couldn't see a thing except for the strange lighting. Now, an hour later, the sun is shining. Sigh!

It's going to be a bit before I download pics with a house-load of people, but...

Welding Mask>>>Eclipse Glasses>>>>binoculars (held high off the ground to project the sun on the ground)>>>a large bore colander>cereal box

Totality 100,000x greater than 98% eclipse. Will be driving 4-5 hours in 2024 to watch it again in 100% eclipse.

Eclipse of 80% was a big bust here in Florida. never got perceptibly darker -- full sunlight, still sharp shadows on the ground. All agreed that it was a few degrees cooler at the midpoint, but that's it. If you hadn't known in advance about an eclipse, you'd have had no reason whatsoever to suspect anything was going on, or to look at the sun.

Still, food was eaten, wine, beer, and soft drinks were drunk, and pickleball was played -- a good afternoon.

We got pretty close to 100% here, but not quite there. Couldn't take the time to make the 6 hour drive south to get the full eclipse.

I threw on my 6 pairs of sunglasses and took a quick 1 second peek, glorious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom