20 vs 25 chips for low stakes (2 Viewers)

Regularjohn

Straight
Reaction score
I know I've seen threads that discuss this topic, but I cant seem to find them.

When building a cash set for .25/.50, .50/1, at the highest 1/1...is there any benefit of having $20 chips vs $25? I'm leaning towards the 20 since most people are carrying 20's and not 100's for these stakes. Just makes buying in/topping off easier right?

Thanks!

3 of 3 of my sets have $20's... No one carries a $25 bill!

(Waiting on labels for third set.)

Three twenties.jpg

I have both, but not necessarily in the same sets. In general, I like a $20 when the workhorse chip is $1 or a mix of $1 and $5, and a $25 when the workhorse chip is $5 or more. This distinction is most important in limit games, more for making change (e.g., $20 = $1 x 20, and $25 = $5 x 5 or $2.50 x 10) than to accommodate buy-ins. That said, we use what we have, right?

I prefer $20s - more convenient and easier tally after a long session haha

I always look at how the chips align with each other - whenever someone gets too many chips in front of them they want to change some out. Any chip in your set should be easily changeable with another chip 2 denominations up. 20 quarters get a 5, and 20 singles makes you use a $20 chip :)

the moment you see a $20 denom chip, you know it's cash.
Mostly. There are a few dual-purpose sets that have 2000c chips -- worth $20.00 for cash, and T2000 for tournies.

The other denominations are typically 5, 25, 100, and 500 (usually in cents). Sometimes also a 1c or 10000c chip, or a single no-denom chip that can serve as either.

Plus some straight cash sets with $20 chips are geared to also be used for tournaments, with the 25c through $20 used similarly to a T25-T2000 set.

Mostly. There are a few dual-purpose sets that have 2000c chips -- worth $20.00 for cash, and T2000 for tournies.

The other denominations are typically 5, 25, 100, and 500 (usually in cents). Sometimes also a 1c or 10000c chip, or a single no-denom chip that can serve as either.

Plus some straight cash sets with $20 chips are geared to also be used for tournaments, with the 25c through $20 used similarly to a T25-T2000 set.
Congrats on your 3rd(?) Avatar change lol

Congrats on your 3rd(?) Avatar change lol
5th, actually, but thanks(?) for noticing I guess. :D

King8 $100, Avatar, no-tolerance-for-snowflakes, i-hate-u, and i-am-chipguide. The last three were too good to pass up, although just temporary distractions. :)

5th, actually, but thanks(?) for noticing I guess. :D

King8 $100, Avatar, no-tolerance-for-snowflakes, i-hate-u, and i-am-chipguide. The last three were too good to pass up, although just temporary distractions. :)
Haha I never saw the king 8, so I'm behind one I guess! You're welcome, I know you only change when they're really important to the community and all :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I like $20 for cash and T25 for tourneys.

Most games I play in are > 1/1, but using a $20 allows for MORE CHIPS in play, which promotes action.

My set has both.

Here's my thinking.

I prefer 20s where the workhorse chip is the single, mainly because it makes swapping barrels for chips change-making easier. For me that's anything with a fractional BB in NL, or limit games that use 1s (or 2s for that matter, it just becomes two 20s for a barrel).

Twenties don't make as much sense to me in games where the 5 is the workhorse chip (say 0.50-1 and up for NL). Any "barrel-swapping" will be done with 100s anyway, there wouldn't be barrels of ones on the table in these game. There's actually a pretty decent argument that an intermediate chip between the 5 and 100 isn't even necessary at these stakes anyway, but I like using 25s in this spot better than 20s, just because 4 chips do the job of 5.

I have both, but not necessarily in the same sets. In general, I like a $20 when the workhorse chip is $1 or a mix of $1 and $5, and a $25 when the workhorse chip is $5 or more. This distinction is most important in limit games, more for making change (e.g., $20 = $1 x 20, and $25 = $5 x 5 or $2.50 x 10) than to accommodate buy-ins. That said, we use what we have, right?

I swear I missed this comment before leaving my own, and I pretty much copied her.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom