$2/$5 No Limit A7 sOOted (1 Viewer)

I wonder what hand UTG put the hero on? He did think about it for a minute before calling. It wasn’t an insta call.
The only hand he could beat would be AQ and a bluff. Just because he doesn’t know how to bet/raise wouldn’t automatically make him a calling station. Clearly he has a lot to learn, but I would like to think he was calling a bluff. I agree with @Moxie Mike a pot size bet would have significantly increased his chances to fold.

UTG also beats all the hands Hero was trying to get the Button to fold. Also Hero could have AA (he was preflop raiser), J10, AJ, A10, missed diamonds. UTG is really only worried about full house hands since Hero checked the turn.

This hand is also a great example of why position is so important. If Hero had been on the button and both players checked the turn to him he could have semi bluffed the turn.

Last edited:
I totally fail to see the entire logic on a bluff on the river when the premise from before the hand even started was that UTG was a calling station.
I think the consensus here is that while false in this example, the assumption is that UTG has a very weak hand and will fold to virtually any aggression. UTG's hand is almost an afterthought - primary focus is on (IMO correctly) moving the button off his hand.

Thing is, it's easy to analyze this situation when we've got time to read it, then reread it, then read others' thoughts before chiming in. In retrospect, hero will likely agree that barreling the river was a low or even a negative EV move. But in the moment, it's often tough to acknowledge that despite the fact that there's a decent pot out there, letting it go without a fight is the right thing to do.

The only thing I'd prefer to see differently is that if hero is going to bluff here, I think a bet of $350 is much more appropriate. I think the chances of UTG releasing his hand go up quite a bit with a full or near pot size bet.

My assessment was that he was playing hands facr up, not that he was a calling station. Huge difference here, as I believed the cold call + 2 checks indicated he had a draw that missed. I never believed in this spot that UTG wasn't calling so I made a bet I thinking I only needed to get through one person because UTG hand was irrelevant. Pot size bet might have gotten it done against another player, but if UTG calls with that hand I don't think he folds for another hundo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom