2/5/10 PLO Hand With Rock on Button (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Hero started this session on a rough note. Bought in for the full 2k and in a short-handed game gave it all away in this hand

That table eventually broke and Hero moved to the remaining 2/5/10 game with his $500 rebuy in action. He took that on a tear in a number of spots (limp-potting AAJT suited and winning a big three-way all-in on the flop running it twice and then KK56 double suited from the SB flopping 34K and getting plenty of action there as well), building to $785, $1800, $3700 and now sitting on around $6,500

At this table Hero is obviously showing down quality hands, so should be viewed as showing up nutty when he's betting. However, a number of the opponents at this table just want to gamble and don't really seem to give two fucks about their equity and just want to chase and hope to hit their draws.

Hero is on the button with the $10 rock, having won the previous hand. Hero is dealt the mighty

:qs::qh::qd::8c:

Bunch of limpers and we go to the flop with $50 in the pot

Flop is :kd::js::th:

Hero: $6,500
Everyone else: stacks between $800 - $2,200

Everyone checks to Hero, Hero?

Check. I can't be bothered risking money to win a $50 pot with bugger all except blockers.

My prediction for this hand.
tenor.gif

If the players at the table want to chase, are you prepared to triple barrel (or more) to win this pot? If not, just fold.

On the the other hand, I don’t mind going for it if you think players will call you down to the river and then fold if Broadway remains the nuts.

I could see, on a normal table, potting here, and potting the turn, and hoping the board doesn't pair or get all suited, and forcing folds by the river.
But you already said that the maniacs here don't seem to care about their equity
AND
Some of those maniacs will end up all in on the turn anyway, so you can't chase them off after a safe river
AND
then one of those maniacs will beat you with a K.
check

Do these guys fold weaker flushes when you bet the Ace blocker? If that bluff has worked then you have a chance with this hand. But it usually requires 3 streets and a good run out. Also with the Ace flush blocker bluff you KNOW nobody can have the nut flush. Here there is still a Q left in the deck.

It could be good for your meta image if you showdown this hand and the rest of the table sees you are capable of a bluff like this.

One other thought, Hero can catch a 9 to make a straight still which should be good if the board doesn’t flush/pair. So if you do run this bluff you have a little bit of equity to make the best hand.

Hero started this session on a rough note. Bought in for the full 2k and in a short-handed game gave it all away in this hand

That table eventually broke and Hero moved to the remaining 2/5/10 game with his $500 rebuy in action. He took that on a tear in a number of spots (limp-potting AAJT suited and winning a big three-way all-in on the flop running it twice and then KK56 double suited from the SB flopping 34K and getting plenty of action there as well), building to $785, $1800, $3700 and now sitting on around $6,500

At this table Hero is obviously showing down quality hands, so should be viewed as showing up nutty when he's betting. However, a number of the opponents at this table just want to gamble and don't really seem to give two fucks about their equity and just want to chase and hope to hit their draws.

Hero is on the button with the $10 rock, having won the previous hand. Hero is dealt the mighty

:qs::qh::qd::8c:

Bunch of limpers and we go to the flop with $50 in the pot

Flop is :kd::js::th:

Hero: $6,500
Everyone else: stacks between $800 - $2,200

Everyone checks to Hero, Hero?

Hero figures there's no better time to bet than now, Hero bets $50 pot

Villain in the BB and Villain in the CO both call

Both are stickier gamblers who have terrible hand selection and will chase without odds, try to bluff scare cards, but will give up on rivers if they whiff

Turn is :8d:

Both check, Hero ?

EDIT: Both Villains are fairly deep with stacks around 2k fwiw

Last edited:
Hero already knows this is a 3 street bluff for it to work. Have to bet pot again for it to work. Now Hero has to dodge all Diamonds, K,J,10, and case Q. Also 97 now makes a straight that doesn't need the Q. Will Villains get sticky to call with a non nut straight?

Hero already knows this is a 3 street bluff for it to work. Have to bet pot again for it to work. Now Hero has to dodge all Diamonds, K,J,10, and case Q. Also 97 now makes a straight that doesn't need the Q. Will Villains get sticky to call with a non nut straight?

Only one way to find out!

Hero already knows this is a 3 street bluff for it to work. Have to bet pot again for it to work.
Do you? I think stacks matter, because you have to leave the shorties some fold equity on the river, right?

If he had the nut straight he would bet the pot with it, nothing less with multiple callers. He can’t bet less now.
Now that we know they're both deep, yes of course.
But if the turn pot is going to guarantee that somebody is calling a river bet regardless, then nothing else matters, because then you're probably screwed.

And would you really always be potting the turn when your nuts is broadway? I've still got a lot to learn about PLO. And hell yeah I'm potting the flop with broadway. But if there are two guys who look like they're calling anyway, I'm probably not potting the turn. Maybe half-pot, maybe less? Because if the river is a diamond or pairs the board, I'm probably effed, so do I want to go full pot on the turn when all I've got is nut straight?
Serious question, because I'm not sure if this is a matter of opinion or if it's a definite pot.

But if the turn pot is going to guarantee that somebody is calling a river bet regardless, then nothing else matters, because then you're probably screwed.

And would you really always be potting the turn when your nuts is broadway? I've still got a lot to learn about PLO. And hell yeah I'm potting the flop with broadway. But if there are two guys who look like they're calling anyway, I'm probably not potting the turn. Maybe half-pot, maybe less? Because if the river is a diamond or pairs the board, I'm probably effed, so do I want to go full pot on the turn when all I've got is nut straight?
Serious question, because I'm not sure if this is a matter of opinion or if it's a definite pot.

yes you have to bet full pot with the nut straight here. Otherwise you give either draw a good price to call. Hopefully one person does not have both draws. Weak flush draws may fold too, it is possible to have Broadway and nut flush draw with it.

Yes, we still bet pot because if they are drawing we want them to pay the max to do so, and if they whiff the river we likely won't be able to extract more money out of them

Hero figures there's no better time to bet than now, Hero bets $50 pot

Villain in the BB and Villain in the CO both call

Both are stickier gamblers who have terrible hand selection and will chase without odds, try to bluff scare cards, but will give up on rivers if they whiff

Turn is :8d:

Both check, Hero ?

EDIT: Both Villains are fairly deep with stacks around 2k fwiw

Hero isn't giving up, as far as I'm concerned I have the nuts and I'm sticking to it!

Hero bets $200.......and both villains call

River :8s:

Both villains again check to Hero. Pot is $800, Hero?

Fold and go home lol

I wouldn't expect the nut straight from any of them, since you'd have heard from that on the turn, so I would have likely kept going on blank rivers.

But surely sets on the flop make up a fair portion of their calling range on the flop and turn. So now they have boated up.

No way I am betting now

Most people that make a full house here would bet knowing that a straight won’t be betting again. I don’t want to risk any more money now that we have good showdown hand and will take my Trips 8 showdown value.

As I said earlier, you get to now showdown those QQQ’s and possibly still win the hand. Double win!

Check back and hope I lucked out while asking myself how I got into an $800 pot with 3 Q's in my hand. I don't see anyone with worse calling any size of bet.

Hero isn't giving up, as far as I'm concerned I have the nuts and I'm sticking to it!

Hero bets $200.......and both villains call

River :8s:

Both villains again check to Hero. Pot is $800, Hero?

Well, Hero now can't rep the nuts as hard, but he figures he lucked out against what he suspects are hands like KJxx and maybe ATxx and laughs, flips over his cards and announces three eights

Villain in the blinds shows up with Tens full so glad I didn't bet the river, although if the nuts remained the same would've stabbed at it

Well, Hero now can't rep the nuts as hard, but he figures he lucked out against what he suspects are hands like KJxx and maybe ATxx and laughs, flips over his cards and announces three eights

Villain in the blinds shows up with Tens full so glad I didn't bet the river, although if the nuts remained the same would've stabbed at it

This shows just how hard this play is to make! While in theory it is definitely possible, there are so many IF’s that need to fall into place for it to work out.

IF the board doesn’t pair

IF the flush doesn’t come in

IF the Villain is able to fold second nuts (or close to it)

IF Hero has the stones to triple barrel bluff his stack off to win the pot.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom