$2/4 limit Scrotum 8 hand from last night (1 Viewer)

Rhodeman77

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Playing mixed $2/4 limit game last night. We have been through every game several times now are starting to get a feel for some strategy to the games.

This hand was close to midnight, one player had left already so we are 5 handed.

I’m in the BB and get dealt a pat flush, 10 high. Every other player had limped in and held 3 cards.

Is the best play to keep the hand pat and play for the high only side or keep the 3 low clubs and hope for 2 more clubs on the board and have a chance at the whole pot?

For reference:

41EDB92B-E11D-475E-8289-E1B7AD0F9C68.jpeg

I've never played this game but I've played plenty of Archie and faced similar dilemmas.

Inferring that you held the 10 and the 9 of your suit and 3 low cards that are not the ace, you'd be trying to catch two of the remain 8 flush cards that match your suit and somehow make a low that might not even scoop half the pot (or might not even get there at all).

I would not break a 10-high flush... I would just jam every street and hope it holds up for at least half the pot.

I've never played this game but I've played plenty of Archie and faced similar dilemmas.

Inferring that you held the 10 and the 9 of your suit and 3 low cards that are not the ace, you'd be trying to catch two of the remain 5 low cards that match your suit - to ,make a low that might not even scoop half the pot (or might not even get there at all).

I would not break a 10-high flush... I would just jam every street and hope it holds up for at least half the pot.

Yes, I had 10, 9 of clubs. And 3 under 8 to be used to make a possible low. So to have a chance at a scoop if I discard the 10 & 9 I’d be looking for a board with 2 low cards and 2 clubs, I’d love to see the Ac obviously.

A 10 high flush in scrotum wins a small pot and is crushed in a large one.

The fundamental theory in split pot games is to go for the whole pot. As soon as another player keeps 3 or more cards, any board could have a boat or quads. The only way you are happy with a flush in this game is if it is also a low. Aces are kind of important...

A 10 high flush in scrotum wins a small pot and is crushed in a large one.

The fundamental theory in split pot games is to go for the whole pot. As soon as another player keeps 3 or more cards, any board could have a boat or quads. The only way you are happy with a flush in this game is if it is also a low. Aces are kind of important...

We can be pretty confident we aren’t facing trips since none of them raised when they had a chance. Also everyone has been raising their 3+ suites small card hands as well. Knowing everyone only limped is important information too.

We can be pretty confident we aren’t facing trips since none of them raised when they had a chance. Also everyone has been raising their 3+ suites small card hands as well. Knowing everyone only limped is important information too.

Agreed. I also just saw that you were playing limit. We typically play PL or even (stupid) NL. The stakes are important too. ;) That significantly lowers your reverse implied odds and may change the decision.

How low are hero's babies? Do those three cards make part of a possible straight? Actually knowing Hero's hand makes for a better discussion.

If hero stands pat, I think he has to raise. I also think he is in most pots to the bitter end.

If Hero breaks and holds three low cards he shouldn't raise. Just wait for the flop.

I don't have an opinion yet. I don't know Hero's hand and the size of the babies makes a difference.

DrStrange

How low are hero's babies? Do those three cards make part of a possible straight? Actually knowing Hero's hand makes for a better discussion.

If hero stands pat, I think he has to raise. I also think he is in most pots to the bitter end.

If Hero breaks and holds three low cards he shouldn't raise. Just wait for the flop.

I don't have an opinion yet. I don't know Hero's hand and the size of the babies makes a difference.

DrStrange

Can’t make a straight. 742 are the other three clubs. Which is also a very crappy low draw. The flush only being 10 high sucks too. The construction of the hand is about as bad as it gets for being dealt a flush lol.

Keep the flush. Bet big and hope they fold, or at least you build a pot and hope your 10 high flush holds.

Edit: forgot this was limit. Yuck.

Last edited:
Ok, let's keep the flush. I worry the one or more of the three card villains is drawing to a better low, likely it is better not to go for a "silver medal" hand.

Hero needs to consider if raising is best - $2 since this is limit. Just in case villains can do a good job of hand reading. Standing pat and then checking screams pat bad low or pat made hand straight or garbage flush. I think raising is best. Obviously no one is folding.

As for the other villains . . . I would have to assume they mostly don't have a great grasp for the game. Someone is going to have a hand like KKx. Maybe someone will have AA2 and think they have a low draw. They might also have a set and failed to see it was time to raise. I am mindful that three to a flush is a reasonable hand, though I wouldn't do it unless it was a nutty flush and/or also held some sort of wheel draw. Hero needs to keep one eye on the exit before the pot gets so big that the odds force hero to call with a loser and hope somehow it wins half the pot.

On the other hand, perhaps a check/fold line could be better -=- DrStrange who is barely kidding about that check/fold idea.

I decided to stay with the dealt flush and put in a raise to $4.

Everyone calls of course. Flop is about is as good I could hope for.

KJ8 rainbow. I bet and get calls from everyone. Turn is another 8 completing the rainbow board. I bet again and only get 1 call from UTG this time.

River is the Qh putting a second heart on the board. I check the river in case UTG had trips and made a boat or hearts.

UTG bets and I call. He show 3 hearts (no low draw possible) for a better flush.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom