Cancelled 1940's Clay Chip Set Cheap (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Auction for the following:

295 Clay chips (see history below). Starting bid is only $.34/chip ($100). This would make for an ok small stakes single table cash set or small HU tourney set.

Lazy S Chips.png

763A8647-CE20-45BA-803B-F07D6D423A75.jpeg

Details:

MOLD
:
MD-25 - Clay compression-molded chips, LAZY "S" (a/k/a S mold) -- 24 "lazy" S's. 1930's -1940's.

MANUFACTURER:
Manufactured by either USPC (pre-1947) or Burt Co (Maine) and distributed by Ryan & Co. out of Chicago, IL ("S" mold chips were later sold by both HE Mason & Co. and Taylor & Co. after Ryan & Co was sold).

STAMP: RCO or RCD (depending on how you read it). Stamps are very dark, and in good condition.

CONDITION:
Very good condition for chips this old. Most chips stand on edge (I haven't tested each one). There are very few dings/nicks (but there are some). The chips are dirty, but I recently did a very light (gentle) cleaning with warm water, dawn, and a scrubby, to get the yellowing (presumably smoke discoloration) off. They came away fairly clean, but there are some chips with more stubborn dirt/staining, I tried scrubbing a couple chips with more prominent dirt, and had success with a magic eraser (but wasn't going to tackle them all. And though I think all the chips will brighten up nicely, I am selling the chips as-is (no guarantees since these are likely 80-90 years old).

REASON FOR SELLING:
I snagged these cheap off craigslist a while back. The intention was to utilize these for the MTTD (prize, samples, etc..) in some fashion. And though I didn't give them away, I'm going to apply all the money from this auction to partially cover some of the costs associated with hosting a meetup (trophies, commemorative chips, custom name badges, etc...).

SHIPPING:
I will reship via USPS Med Flat Rate Box (around $15) to CONUS. I will ship internationally BUT buy pays actual shipping, AND assumes ALL risks associated with shipping once they are dropped off at the Post Office. I am known for my nuclear proof packaging methods, so the chips will be packed well.

52B3D19A-0ABD-4092-BDDA-C8707BF8AFFF.jpeg

6207B3AB-B157-43AB-9C8B-13BBA962448E.jpeg

42041C8C-8D03-486F-ABEE-49C1D0C541FB.jpeg
935D116F-CE4E-44B3-9A80-F52988C9CCDA.jpeg

D983969D-D46B-4A78-850E-368A9F1C3BAD.jpeg

80993DA2-E6B7-4CB8-B9CB-AF34904F4B49.jpeg

Here was one of the worst Looking chips, and one like it after it was cleaned. Not every super dirty chip came away looking as good. But most did. And again, I didn’t scrub too hard or use harsh cleaners. The photos above are the chips after cleaning (random splash pots).

85F36758-9806-426F-A92F-D97D6F7368AA.jpeg

FINE PRINT:

1. STARTING BID: $100
2. Bids must be placed in minimum increments of $1.
3. Once (if) auction reaches $200, bid increments will switch to $5 minimum.
4. The Starting Bid of the auction will be treated as the Reserve Price.
5. All bids are to be placed openly in this thread. No bids via PM/Conversation.
6. Auction will use the '5 minutes after last closing bid rule'. Highest bid at 11:00 pm, Central Standard Time, 3/9/18 will win unless there is a bid within 5 minutes of closing time - then the closing time will be 5 min. after the latest bid was posted.
7. Edited posts will be voided.
8. I reserve the right to: i) cancel the auction if no bids have been made; ii) edit the listing to correct errors or clarify rules as needed.
9. PCF (it's Owner, Admins, and Moderators - other than me) are in no way responsible for any actions in this auction.
10. Payment Terms: PPFF only

Last edited:
If traditional rules were followed, and given the age they likely were, they're "ROC". The larger center initial is always the last name.

GLWS!

If traditional rules were followed, and given the age they likely were, they're "ROC". The larger center initial is always the last name.

GLWS!

I was wondering if there was a Chicago connection, and not just someone’s name. The distributor (Ryan) was out of Chicago... could be any number of meanings. Rockford Chicago O’Hare. Dunno. But the personalization doesn’t really bother me. It wouldn’t be my main cash set, but for a Travel set, or secondary set, I could care less about the initials. It’s a vintage clay set, in decent condition. :)

The more I play around with these, the more I’m loving the feel of them. If these don’t sell, I’ll just give out samples to MTTD attendees. Win win.

Weekend bump. Vintage clay (arguably collectible) chips in decent condition for $.34/ chip? I’m not desperate to sell these, but thought I’d try to pass them along to someone who might want them. ;)

Updating End Date of the auction to today. March 9 2018. 11pm CST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom