1930s Card Table Rehab (2 Viewers)

rlaurie12

Reaction score
I am redoing a vintage console table that folds out into a card table. The original felt top was in bad shape so I want to replace it with Speed Cloth. However, the table has a mahogany decorative edging so the cloth will not be going to the edge and folding over the side. My question is, can Speed Cloth be attached to the table without using foam underneath it? I assume if I use foam it will show on the edges or if I make the speed cloth slightly larger than the foam, it would not be smooth on the edges. My table is in pieces right now, but I have attached a similar table so you get an idea of what I'm asking. Thanks.

Screenshot (2).png

Can it? I don’t see why not. But I would suggest that you shouldn’t. Speedcloth is a strangely thin fabric that has no padding properties on its own. The reason felt is traditionally used for card tables (I’m assuming here; I’m no table historian) is that it has its own thickness and give, making it significantly better than a wood surface. I don’t believe speed cloth on top of wood would be much better than naked wood.
Can you use some foam and taper the edges, ending short of the edge of the speedcloth?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I was thinking of tapering along the edge, but does speed cloth have a clean finish when you cut it or would it have ends that would unravel, so I would have to make a seam along the edge?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I was thinking of tapering along the edge, but does speed cloth have a clean finish when you cut it or would it have ends that would unravel, so I would have to make a seam along the edge?
No, I think the edges will be a problem. But I've only worked with the cheaper chinese import speedcloth, which is a far inferior product. I have the good speedcloth on my new table, but I didn't put it on there myself. So I'd like to hear input from more folks who have worked with speedcloth. But as far as tapering the foam, I have done that, and it was easy (just cut it at an angle) and it worked great.

Would neoprene work for you? You could get the right thickness and apply it directly. Not sure about the fold, however.

The cut edge of speed cloth will fray. You would need to seal it somehow, either with a coating, stitch it, or melt it kind of like nylon rope.

If you trim the edges and leave it, it'll fray in no time.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll just stick with felt as it will be the easiest to install and probably look the best. Does anyone know a good source to purchase from or what I should look for when buying it. Everywhere I look they only sell it in large quantities and I only need a piece that is 36"x36".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom