12 player table? (1 Viewer)

plymkr

Reaction score
Anyone ever attempted a 12 person table? I have a 10 but my very casual home game frequently has 11-12 players and was considering making a new table. I know it's probably frowned upon to have 12 but for us I think it would work out just fine.
Anyway, I have a design using octagon ends with a racetrack. Couple of things...
Why do people hate racetracks?
I know some hate octagons because of various reasons but used on the ends of a table it gives you that extra elbow room. Looking at my drawing do you see any issues with the size and spacing for players?
Am I crazy for thinking about a 12 player table? Thanks in advance!

12.jpg

For a 12-person tournament, it might be easier (not necessarily better) to have them all in one table, rather than in two 6-player tables.
Other than that, it's questionable if 12-player cash games would be functional at all (I 'd say 11 players plus dedicated dealer; not imaginable otherwise). Provided it's only TX Hold'em.
Even in that case, you would need larger dimensions too. Why 22in per player on straights (the ablsolute minimum, that is) and not on "curves".
As the applicable Greek saying goes, "even them [the players on the two ends] belonged to some mothers too":D

more on the "curves" requires bigger than 4x8 sheet of material. the curve players have the luxury of not rubbing shoulders with their neighbor.
we only play hold'em and let me stress our game is super casual. nobody cares if they win or lose. half of them use the internet to see if their hand is any good. its more about having a few drinks with friends that we don't get to see as often as we would like than it is making money.

Hold’em can be played with 22 people. From what I remember reading it was originally designed by cowboys sitting around the camp fire so that as many as possible could play at the same time. Does this mean it is the best way to play, no, but it is possible.

I’d much rather play 2 tables of 6. I don’t even like playing 9 or 10 handed!

Are you planning on having craps sticks for the players on the ends to pull the pots in?

If it's only about the social aspect then I get why one might want to do this. But before building a table, make sure to at least try playing 12 handed so you know what you're getting yourself into. If it's even just 10% about playing poker then 12 is too many. To be honest I'd rather just drink and talk if we're 12 around a table.

Last Friday's cash game we were 13 spread out on 2 tables. When 3 had left, the group wanted to consolidate to a single table (against my recommendation, I might add). Maaaan it got slow... what a drag, I can't imagine 12.... :eek:
Thankfully a few more left after a while and we could start playing some poker again :)

Last Friday's cash game we were 13 spread out on 2 tables. When 3 had left, the group wanted to consolidate to a single table (against my recommendation, I might add). Maaaan it got slow... what a drag, I can't imagine 12.... :eek:
Thankfully a few more left after a while and we could start playing some poker again :)
ok this makes sense. thank you for actually giving me a reason 12 handed might be bad. I didn't consider this at all.

Ps. you know your table is too big when the deck doesn't have enough cards to play omaha
Ps. 12 cup holders means 1-12 players.

I think he was backed by "confederates" beyond the table and went south :D

I would think a boat or rounded oval shape table if that many people. This allows everyone to see each other a little easier.

My game was 8 for the longest time. It finally went to 10 and I'm moving from an octagon to a decagon. I can understand your desire to keep 12 at a single table. It's the social aspect. The design is quite interesting, but it could create a bit of distance between the players. Kind of like Thanksgiving dinner where half of the table doesn't know the other half is there. Also, is 19.78" large enough on some sides? Feels kind of cramped.

we only play hold'em and let me stress our game is super casual. nobody cares if they win or lose. half of them use the internet to see if their hand is any good. its more about having a few drinks with friends that we don't get to see as often as we would like than it is making money.
I'll play devil's advocate. Yeah, it's easy to criticize a 12 handed game, but he's got decent reasons here. If he's already playing with 11 or 12 from time to time, he knows what he's getting himself into.
We're a bunch of people who are obsessed with making our games "perfect" but poker has survived and thrived for a couple hundred years in typically imperfect conditions. So although we have an endless supply of advice for perfecting games, it doesn't mean our preferences are the only way to go.
And, for what it's worth, two tables of 6 suck from a social perspective. And I've never tried hosting a multi-table game because I imagine that's no fun either.
I say go ahead and build that thing. What the hell.

I have a @T_Chan table, noted for 10 players but we play 11 handed and it’s not that bad

If he's already playing with 11 or 12 from time to time, he knows what he's getting himself into.
I think this is the key. If he has tried 12 players and liked it, then he should go ahead! If he has not tried it, he should definitely do a few test runs before building a table. Like, "get samples".

And, for what it's worth, two tables of 6 suck from a social perspective. And I've never tried hosting a multi-table game because I imagine that's no fun either.
I've had a few cash game nights with 12-13 players at two tables. I don't think they sucked at all, they were great fun! To mix it up we tried drawing seats every hour (which I know you "shouldn't do" in a cash game, but we did) to mix it up, and everyone liked it! Every hour you got a new dynamic, which was fun. :)

I'd never play at a game with more than 10 at a table. If 2 came late and host wanted to add them to one table, I'd cash out and go home...

I would be tempted to go down the 2 tables of 6 route but if you’re all happy playing 12 handed then go for it. I know I can get bored when we’ve got more than 8 to a table but to each their own...

Be good to see your pics as you carry out the build :)

IMHO ......
from the view of playing poker.. this is awful, restrictive to hold em, slow play, hard for player 2 to see player 11 cards and visa versa
but if poker is just an excuse for friends to get together to bullshit, laugh, drink and who really cares what cards came out...go for it, sounds like the perfect build

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom