Tourney 12 man tournament - using cash set - blinds? (1 Viewer)

Gubbins

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hosting a 12 man tourney tonight. Each player is allowed 1 rebuy. I’ve spent a while researching on here and writing up a blinds schedule, but just want confirmation that this will work out as planned.

I haven’t been around here too long and don’t actually have a tournament set though so I’m having to use a cash set. I have racks of 25c, $1, $5, $25.

I currently have it so people buy in with $50 worth of chips. With a blind structure as below.

25c/25c
25c/50c
25c/75c
50c/$1
75c/$1.50
$1/$2
$1.25/$2.50
$1.50/$3
$2/$4
$2.50/$5
$3/$6
$4/$8
Etc etc

Etc. I’ve read that game will usually end when BB = about 5% of the chips in the game. But I also know that if I were playing a cash game with a $50 buy in with $2 BB there would be a lot of shoving.

There will be 12 players, with each allowed 1 rebuy. I would expect approx 6 rebuys.

I suppose my main question is, assuming I want the tournament to last approx 5 hours, how fast should I increase the blinds/how long should each level last?

I am only using $25 chips in rebuy stacks as I don’t want to have issues making change. The reason I am using $50 as starting stack is that if I were to use $75, I would have to use a $25 chip which would equate to 33% of starting stack and possibly make it hard to make change.

Any thoughts or help on this? I have a good idea on how I can make it work, I am just worried that the game will end to fast if I increase blinds to fast, or will go on to long if I do them to slowly.

Not ideal I know, but any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Blind structure is fine, although I'd recommend dropping the 1.25/2.50 and 2.50/5.00 levels for more consistency in the percentage increases from one level to the next. From 1/2 upwards, go with:
1/2
1.50/3
2/4
3/6
4/8
6/12
8/16
10/20
15/30
20/40
and just repeating that sequence (adding zeros) if needed. Remove the lower denomination chips (color-up with your two highest denomination chips) when they are no longer required for the blinds.

A $50 stack buy-in with .25/.25 opening blinds is 200bb to start, which is plenty deep. A 12-player event with that blind structure using 20-minute levels should last no longer than 5 hours or so. The event should end by the 15/30 blind level (13 levels = 4:20 plus three or four 10-minute breaks).

Use 12/12/7 starting stacks, and use $5 chips to color-up the quarters and $25 chips to color-up the $1s. Re-buy stacks should be 5 x $5 plus 1 x $25 to make it easier for re-buy players to make change.

Etc. I’ve read that game will usually end when BB = about 5% of the chips in the game. But I also know that if I were playing a cash game with a $50 buy in with $2 BB there would be a lot of shoving.
There’s no incentive to ”stay alive” in a cashgame and you’d happily take a 50,1 % edge and run it, wheras in a tourney you wouldn’t want to risk it. Makes them play differently

There’s no incentive to ”stay alive” in a cashgame and you’d happily take a 50,1 % edge and run it, wheras in a tourney you wouldn’t want to risk it. Makes them play differently
^ This, plus by the time it gets to the 1/2 blind level, it will be 2 hours into the tournament -- with several re-buys and several eliminations. The average stack size of the remaining players will be much bigger than $50.

Thanks a bunch guys, greatly appreciate it.

As this is a social game and we will be self dealing, and shooting the breeze, would it be recommended taking the blind levels from 20 to 25 minutes?

Thanks a bunch guys, greatly appreciate it.

As this is a social game and we will be self dealing, and shooting the breeze, would it be recommended taking the blind levels from 20 to 25 minutes?
No, for that reason I'd make it 18 instead. Lol. Dont know about yours but my players dont want to be there all night if they're social and casual.

Last edited:
20 min levels or even less sound reasonable for a casual game. I’m assuming 12 players means you will start with 2 tables and then combine? 6-player tables will get some decent play in with 20 and less minute levels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom