$11 P* MTT - First Hand (1 Viewer)

Math is your friend.

Variance is a bitch

Shove, win more than your share. If you lose, you get a story and the rest of your night to do something else.
Against 4 others (potentially 5), aces would probably have less than 50% equity. Definitely the favourite against everyone though

There’s no reshove…I’d be the 4th caller to LJ’s all-in
Oh, so everyone has 3000 at the start of the hand? I see.

Yeah, call I guess. No better chance to get your money in than right there, though five ways you're very likely to get sucked out on, otherwise this wouldn't be a thread :LOL: :laugh:

How is this even a question?
First hand of the main event of the WSOP, maybe it could be a question. But an $11 online tournament? If you’re not calling there, why are you even playing?
I’m a risk averse guy and I love MTTs more than any other form of poker, so I understand not wanting to go out on the first hand. But you have #1 with a chance to at least quintuple up. Don’t we want to start every tournament like that?

Oh, so everyone has 3000 at the start of the hand? I see.

Yeah, call I guess. No better chance to get your money in than right there, though five ways you're very likely to get sucked out on, otherwise this wouldn't be a thread :LOL: :laugh:
It was the first hand of the MTT. All players at all tables had 3K.

Usually I stay away from stupid shoves on the first hand to grind the tournament unless I have AA-QQ…I’d snap call with 1-2 players all-in…but with so many callers, just not sure if it’s a smart move putting the tourney on the line with relatively low equity (compared to a 1v1 all in)

It’s not about the cards but busting early from stupid bingo players.

Lol donkaments. Call and go play cash after you lose the hand.

just not sure if it’s a smart move putting the tourney on the line with relatively low equity (compared to a 1v1 all in)
In any preflop situation like this where you are covered by everyone, as long as your equity is greater than 100%/(# of players), then you should always get it in.

In this case it looks like it will either be 5 or 6 ways. So as long as you have more than 16.7 - 20% equity, you should call. And that will ALWAYS be the case when you have AA.

This isn't even a question. You first pump call and live with what happens. If you fold, then you don't actually care about playing good poker, you just don't want to bust hand 1.

It was the first hand of the MTT. All players at all tables had 3K.

Usually I stay away from stupid shoves on the first hand to grind the tournament unless I have AA-QQ…I’d snap call with 1-2 players all-in…but with so many callers, just not sure if it’s a smart move putting the tourney on the line with relatively low equity (compared to a 1v1 all in)

i mean it’s just $11, and you can always register for another tournament if you lose. if 5 people are all in you need to have 20% equity to break even long term, and your equity, while possibly being under 50%. Is waaaaaay higher than 20%, so this is a snap call. Honestly not sure you’re even posting this here, you know the answer.

I understand your disdain for these guys, but I’ve come to love them. Because when they do double or triple up in their first hand, they usually try to bully with their stack. They play stupid and they usually cause other people to play stupid too. And when you have multiple people playing stupid, good things usually happen (with a little patience)

Got some good discussion here so I’ll close this down. Just wanted to see if anyone could find a fold here.

I did end up making the call (UTG also called) but lost to KhQh who made a flush. I hate losing to these stupid bingo players.

I used the odds calculator and was around 35% equity. I guess I starting questioning myself whether putting my tournament life on the line with a 35% chance was the smart play.

The only way a fold is reasonable here is if it's not merely your tournament life at stake, but your actual life.

If you don't see why, you need to learn more about math before you play more poker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom