10NL Blitz on ACR: How does this guy call the river here? (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
Roast away - my jaw hit the floor when I saw his hand.

Hero on BN RFI JQs. SB 3! and Hero calls. I think this is standard.

1653006897753.png

Flop comes mid and connected. V bets about 1/4 pot and Hero calls. I did think about raising here with the OESD & BDFD but generally avoid raising like this in 3! pots because V's range is uncapped which I think makes it less likely to fold to raises on this type of board.

1653006928518.png

Turn completes the FD and V X. This X is 99% of the time NOT a made flush. My flop call is consistent with a FD so I fire here for 3/4 pot.
I figure I still have equity in the OESD if called. V does call.

1653007049725.png

The river is a brick. If V called with a single club he didnt get there. If he has 1 pair, which I believe to be most likely I think he'll be vulnerable to another big bet, continuing to represent the flush. I fire for pot.

1653007192424.png

And V calls with pocket 5s with a club. Unreal call. Thoughts?
Maybe my sizing on turn and river were too big?

1653007250988.png

Attachments

• 1653007141917.png
    1653007141917.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 55
Maybe he thinks you are polorized to flushes and bluffs only, and he blocks 65 and A5 of clubs, but obviously still a very ambitious call. Can hardly be profitable long term

Well it's not a call I would regularly make but the river wasn't a brick, it was a board pair which changed the nuts.
You were representing the flush on the turn with a big bet and now you bet pot when the board pairs. It does smell a little fishy.
Bart Hanson talks about how he's more inclined to call a big river bet when villain does not slow down the least if a card changes the nuts completely. Instabets on those cards usually are on the bluffier side.
Not enough for me to put on the cape here, because as Erik said, he's not often enough good here to make this long term profitable.
But maybe something to think about.

Last edited:
Well it's not a call I would regularly make but the river wasn't a brick, it was a board pair which changed the nuts.
You were representing the flush on the turn with a big bet and now you bet pot when the board pairs. It does smell a little fishy.
Good point

I also think his 3 bet with 55 pre if ambitious. He's in the SB so he should be 3 betting or folding, but 55 is so hard to realize your equity with against a wide button opening range. It performs better against tighter ranges because you can get paid off more easily by the stronger range.

That said, the 3 bet isn't the worst. I think his flop call is bad because it's WAY too hard to realize your equity on this board. On turn, I guess he thinks to himself if he's a thinking player "I have the 5c which means he can't have as many flushes and it gives me a way to win on river." And river pairs the board, so it's flush or nothing. Maybe full house, but turn doesn't make as much sense then.

I think it's just a fold pre more often than a 3 bet with 55 against a decent button player. Too hard to realize with 55 OOP from the blinds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom