10NL ACR Blitz: Thoughts on Flop & Turn play? (1 Viewer)

I guess if your going to play 55 as a cold call pre, you have to go nuts on some boards. Seems silly to do it when an A is on the board though.

At least Snowie agrees with me....that makes me feel a little better. I feel like I am taking crazy pills on here lately. Yesterday got In two arguments....one where people want to ignore math and claim tournaments are magical and another where people want to change the rules of poker because of the card removal effect.

At least Snowie agrees with me....that makes me feel a little better. I feel like I am taking crazy pills on here lately. Yesterday got In two arguments....one where people want to ignore math and claim tournaments are magical and another where people want to change the rules of poker because of the card removal effect.
You are right that the math doesn't change, but tournament play IS different. Now in the early stages? Not as much. But you definitely value bet less often with marginal and medium strength hands in tournaments because losing chips is FAR worse than gaining chips is good.

Top set on monotone board... I would have played the hand as call pre due to crazy 8x sizing. Raise or bet flop depending on villain action. Bet/cry on turn when raised.

As played, bet 33% on flop. 60-80% on turn. River though, I'm not sure because unless I know villain can't fold JJ-AA, I'm not sure what we get value from. Most of his calling range is AdX and overpairs with a diamond. Naked Ad can't call. And you can argue they should have jammed it on turn, but if a person is opening to 8x "for protection", I'm going to assume they aren't the type to run big semi bluffs. So unless they can't fold JJ, KK, or AA, we don't really have much value to extract on river.

You are right that the math doesn't change, but tournament play IS different. Now in the early stages? Not as much. But you definitely value bet less often with marginal and medium strength hands in tournaments because losing chips is FAR worse than gaining chips is good.

Top set on monotone board... I would have played the hand as call pre due to crazy 8x sizing. Raise or bet flop depending on villain action. Bet/cry on turn when raised.

As played, bet 33% on flop. 60-80% on turn. River though, I'm not sure because unless I know villain can't fold JJ-AA, I'm not sure what we get value from. Most of his calling range is AdX and overpairs with a diamond. Naked Ad can't call. And you can argue they should have jammed it on turn, but if a person is opening to 8x "for protection", I'm going to assume they aren't the type to run big semi bluffs. So unless they can't fold JJ, KK, or AA, we don't really have much value to extract on river.
I was actually thinking about this hand more and I like the just call line preflop for exactly what you stated....the sizing doesnt seem right.
If we just call pre, V probably bets flop and there is no way I am not raising top set on a monotone board though. Im probably still going broke here...even with the call pre.

Now I will tell you that I have had this exact scenario come up a couple times in the last week or so (both times with JJ) and i got lots of value by betting three streets. Both times I won with just the trips. It's not an interesting hand to post though....because the decisions seemed straight forward.
Do I have the best hand? most likely
Can I get value from worse? most definitely
how big can I go?

Most of his calling range is AdX and overpairs with a diamond. Naked Ad can't call. And you can argue they should have jammed it on turn, but if a person is opening to 8x "for protection", I'm going to assume they aren't the type to run big semi bluffs. So unless they can't fold JJ, KK, or AA, we don't really have much value to extract on river.
TBH, knowing me....I would have targeted a bet at AdQx that "got there" on the river for less than half pot.....that is if there was anything left.

TBH, knowing me....I would have targeted a bet at AdQx that "got there" on the river for less than half pot.....that is if there was anything left.
I'm not saying I wouldn't bet river, but probably not all in. The hands I'm targeting are all one pair hands that have had to face a tough board and a lot of aggression. Given preflop action I'm only really losing to QQ, AJ-AKdd. And hands I'm targeting are are JJ, KK, AA, and AdQx. In a cash game it's a slam dunk: go for value. But in tournaments sometimes you have to reign it in a bit to not expose your whole stack. Probably a little early in the tournament for that fear though.

Just curious though - I have played a few handfuls of tournaments online - mostly frerolls on ignition and acr - and I find them absolutely brutally slow. I will acknowledge that it is more difficult than straight cash for some of the considerations @Legend5555 notes above, but these tournaments often run 3+ hours. Then I call a jam from a guy that has jammed last 6 of 8 hands and his Q3o sucks out on my AQs when he blinks the 3. It does definitely seem like the big money is in tournaments for the pros at the highest buyin levels but for us recs is there more painless money in the cash games? Or do I need to graduate from the freerolls to the $100+ buyins?

Just curious though - I have played a few handfuls of tournaments online - mostly frerolls on ignition and acr - and I find them absolutely brutally slow. I will acknowledge that it is more difficult than straight cash for some of the considerations @Legend5555 notes above, but these tournaments often run 3+ hours. Then I call a jam from a guy that has jammed last 6 of 8 hands and his Q3o sucks out on my AQs when he blinks the 3. It does definitely seem like the big money is in tournaments for the pros at the highest buyin levels but for us recs is there more painless money in the cash games? Or do I need to graduate from the freerolls to the $100+ buyins?
Don't play tournies to make money at small stakes. You have to put in massive volume to make it worth it. But they are a fun thing to do from time to time.

Think of it in terms of hourly. Imagine you always got 100% ROI by min cashing for 2x your buy in. Then think the time you spent doing that.

tournaments are a tough grind to make money at. If you want to listen to somebody that does it for a living, look up Carlos Welch on Thinking poker podcasts. The truth is you will see some truly awful poker played here, but the other truth is ALL the money is at the top. I have played a few of the crazy 8's on Ignition, have run incredibly well, get down to the final 2 tables and the chip leader has like 20 big blinds. Winner gets like $1400, 10th gets like $70. It is VERY hard to beat out 2000 buy ins, then win like 4. Also, that tournament takes like 6 hours.

OMG I would lose it after 6 hours. What is that like 250 hands?
Appreciate you sharing your experience! I'll stick with cash!

OMG I would lose it after 6 hours. What is that like 250 hands?
Appreciate you sharing your experience! I'll stick with cash!
I am not a hand counter....I have no idea. I generally play long tournaments on a friday night when I want to play but for whatever reason cannot play live. I will fire up a tournament and watch tv. These are low entry tourneys ($10-15), so I really don't put much effort into them. A couple times while visiting my family my brother wanted to play a little, so I would buy in to one. Last time, we handed off the laptop back and forth while playing other live games with the kids. We got 60th (out of thousands) when my brother wanted to shove KQs into a 3 bettor. I thought "this is dumb", but told him "do what makes you happy." Of course we get called by AQ. We played for hours and won like $30. We enjoyed it though!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom