10NL ACR Blitz: Can you get away from this hand? (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
only 8 hands on V so no reads. Hero opens CO, BN and BB call.

1621892644398.png

Hero flops trips. I decided to lead small (1/4 pot) to keep players in and build a pot.
BN raises 4x. If he has a 5 I'm ahead. I think JJ raises pre. Maybe AJ?
I consider raising but there are no draws and I dont want to drive him out so I just call.

1621892700614.png

Turn puts a draw on the board. I check, V bets 18BB and i decide to raise 2x figuring this small size will get called by AJ. V does call.

1621897207365.png

River is a brick and I lead small, expecting to see a raise which I call.

1621897266963.png

Hero sees the bad news. Never put 88 in range because of how he played the flop.
Should I have gotten away from this somehow?

1621897326905.png

1. I can easily put 88 in his range, mainly because you didn't try to push hands like this out on the flop.
2. I can't get away from this either. I would end up either reraising the flop and ending the hand there, or slow playing a little just like this and losing my stack. Considering your stack size, I would have slow played this and ended up getting my butt kicked.

I just can't imagine most players raise 88 on the flop. I can see some merit in doing so to protect your hand, but it's hard to imagine getting called by worse. Plus the board is so dry, that no one should really have any raises here. Id most like put him on just weird bluffs, QJ+, or the last 5. So yeah, I'm never folding. If he hit the weird set on turn by playing protection, oh well.

Given your min XR on the turn and their river shove you can get away from this one.

You are trying to figure out what he has, but did you ask yourself what does he think I have? Its clear to me your turn action communicates you have at least have a 5 so when he rips the river its clear he knows you have a 5 and has it beat hence why you are able to fold.

You are trying to figure out what he has, but did you ask yourself what does he think I have? Its clear to me your turn action communicates you have at least have a 5 so when he rips the river its clear he knows you have a 5 and has it beat hence why you are able to fold.

Yes I did think after the fact that it must be clear that I have 5x and he feels he can beat that so I should fold.
The raise on the flop had me stuck on AJ / KJ etc

Their flop raise was speculative, testing out your hand strength to see whether you had a J or better and how the would progress in later streets. Unfortunately they hit magic on the turn.

This is why action needs to be assessed across all streets. I wouldn't beat yourself up about this one. Its a tough / tricky spot and an excellent one to learn from. Now the hand is over, try playing the hand in villans spot. i.e. try and construct a range for the hero based on preflop, flop and turn action.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom