10NL ACR 6-max: Is this jam to spewy? (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
Playing non-fast fold as the pool playing fast fold isnt big enough for me during my lunch break :)
Here is our V. He is from Belarus (like half the guys on this site) and playing very aggressively.
Not a lot of hands but his play is consistent with the HUD stats despite the smaller sample size:

1621525080046.png

V RFI 2.5 BB in SB and Hero 3! to 9.5BB in BB with 55. I think this is a lower freq 3! and so would flat here over 50% of the time.
V calls.

1621525185085.png

Flop comes low and connected. Not necessarily great for my overall 3! range but decent for my actual hand.
V checks and I bet 3/4 to protect my pair and I have a gutshot so decent equity and want to deny overcards on turn/river.

1621525281540.png

V puts in the X/R. I struggle to find a draw here. Maybe he calls my 3! wide with A3s - if so I hold half his outs.
Premiums should have 4bet pre (AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT). I think a set would flat to build the pot given this doesnt connect well with my 3! range.
Given his HUD stats I think V could be doing this with total air - if I 3! with AK, AQ, AJ, AT then my cbet was light and maybe he can X/R to get a fold assuming I whiffed and am betting big with just overs. I am uncapped here and have all the premuims while V does not - this cbet could be AA/KK/QQ.

1621525353554.png

Given V's HUD stats and observed aggro play Hero jams. Thoughts?

1621525626158.png

Last edited:
I’m with you until you decide to shove. Just call the flop and let him bluff jam the turn.

If I flat his X/R and he jams turn I dont know if I have it in me to call with 55.
Why? His turn jaming range should contain plenty of air if our read is correct. He’s probably not calling our 3-bet jam with too many worse hands though. Or are we bluffing?

I guess given the choice of me jamming now or seeing a turn and calling a jam from V, I'm much more inclined to take initiative, generate FE, and deny realization on turn by jamming now. If the turn somehow improves V (say an A), I dont think I can call a jam with 55.

Here's what the solver says, jamming 55 here 40% mostly combos with a spade (which I dont understand).
Calling my specific combo.

1621527235159.png

Hard to argue against the solver I guess but I really don’t like turning a hand with showdown value into a bluff on a board that doesn’t really favor our range. He’s loose and aggro, I say let him

Interesting to see what solver has V X/R here:
- 99 and T9s are X/R about 50%
- 65s X/R 40%
- 75s & 22 X/R 20%
- 44 X/R 10%
- 88 X/R 5%

We're behind all of those one-pair hands but since we're uncapped our jam puts them in a tough spot maybe.

1621528704943.png

Hard to argue against the solver I guess but I really don’t like turning a hand with showdown value into a bluff on a board that doesn’t really favor our range. He’s loose and aggro, I say let him
Normally I probably agree with this line but in this specific hand, if say a A or a K peel off the turn and villain shoves pot, I don't love calling off 60bbs with basically a bluff catcher that has a few outs. It's a weird spot but I think a jam on the flop makes sense given villains wide range for x/r and given our exact hand (blocking stone nuts + able to improve to the nuts with most like at least 6 outs (25%) in a worst case scenario.

If we were playing against another opponent, who might slow down at least 50% of the time on the turn, I don't mind (but also don't love) and call of his x/r on the flop. This hand feels like exactly the kind of hand we do want to merge into a shove on the flop (although it's possible the theory here is well above my pay grade).

Playing non-fast fold as the pool playing fast fold isnt big enough for me during my lunch break :)
Here is our V. He is from Belarus (like half the guys on this site) and playing very aggressively.
Not a lot of hands but his play is consistent with the HUD stats despite the smaller sample size:

View attachment 702715

V RFI 2.5 BB in SB and Hero 3! to 9.5BB in BB with 55. I think this is a lower freq 3! and so would flat here over 50% of the time.
V calls.

View attachment 702716

Flop comes low and connected. Not necessarily great for my overall 3! range but decent for my actual hand.
V checks and I bet 3/4 to protect my pair and I have a gutshot so decent equity and want to deny overcards on turn/river.

View attachment 702717

V puts in the X/R. I struggle to find a draw here. Maybe he calls my 3! wide with A3s - if so I hold half his outs.
Premiums should have 4bet pre (AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT). I think a set would flat to build the pot given this doesnt connect well with my 3! range.
Given his HUD stats I think V could be doing this with total air - if I 3! with AK, AQ, AJ, AT then my cbet was light and maybe he can X/R to get a fold assuming I whiffed and am betting big with just overs. I am uncapped here and have all the premuims while V does not - this cbet could be AA/KK/QQ.

View attachment 702719

Given V's HUD stats and observed aggro play Hero jams. Thoughts?

View attachment 702720
Initially I thought the shove was wrong, because we want to keep his bluffs in. However, I agree with you after some thought. You have the nutted advantage, he does not. IF he calls, I would expect to see 77-TT A6s...maybe also 56s or 67s. I very poor call would be if he had AQ-A9.

Yeah, shove that shit.

I’m still not convinced this is a good play. I think there’s a big chance he just folded air. I’m fine with calling the flop and calling a turn jam on most cards. Do we play an overpair like this?

I’m still not convinced this is a good play. I think there’s a big chance he just folded air. I’m fine with calling the flop and calling a turn jam on most cards. Do we play an overpair like this?
Important note to this: the board is so low that even if he "folded air", he most likely had at least 1 over card and probably 2, right? So he had equity in this hand that hero forced him to give up. This is winning poker.

EDIT to add: I would totally play an over pair same way, especially against an aggressive opponent.

Important note to this: the board is so low that even if he "folded air", he most likely had at least 1 over card and probably 2, right? So he had equity in this hand that hero forced him to give up. This is winning poker.

EDIT to add: I would totally play an over pair same way, especially against an aggressive opponent.
If he shoves the turn a large percent of the time regardless I’m fine with letting him draw to his 6 outer. Because he is aggressive is precisely why I wouldn’t play an overpair like this. I want to give him the opportunity to bluff

Overpair we call most of the time I would imagine, but this is because, as @grebe mentioned, we don't have to protect as much against a hand like say QJ that has two overs to the current board. If we hold KK in this spot, we don't mind giving him rope because even if he hits one of his 6 outs, we are in excellent shape. Not so with 55. Shove the flop I think makes sense. Fun hand though.

This is where the strength of our overpair matters a great deal (to state the obvious). 88 prefers a shove on this flop but AA/KK prefers a call of villains X/R I think.

So I looked at the "turn report" for this solve. The highest bars show turn cards that V is most likely to be jamming here.

1621534675166.png

Overpair we call most of the time I would imagine, but this is because, as @grebe mentioned, we don't have to protect as much against a hand like say QJ that has two overs to the current board. If we hold KK in this spot, we don't mind giving him rope because even if he hits one of his 6 outs, we are in excellent shape. Not so with 55. Shove the flop I think makes sense. Fun hand though.
I think it's very important to think "overpair" here is as low as 77. So, thinking about moving up the chain, I would have to have SPECIFICALLY KK or AA before I am ok with calling and letting a card peel. With QQ, you are still sweating 8 over cards, and that goes up as you slide down the pole. So, playing our range advantage and keeping the big pairs in as well as some bluffs, I like the shove. For reference, I can even get behind AK shove here as well as a bluff.

How would you play TT or JJ here? For reference, I shove.

@grebe to your point, solver is shoving all overpairs at some frequency except 77 (I dont understand why 77 is mostly a fold but 88 is mostly a jam).
Jamming the weaker PPs with higher freqs and flatting the stronger PPs with higher freqs.

1621544431203.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom