• This site contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase after clicking a link, Poker Chip Forum may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Not Mine ~1000 THC Solids for $40 in MD (1 Viewer)

MegaTon44

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I reached out to the seller several times over the last few days to no avail (he read and ignored me each time). Maybe he will respond to someone more local. These chips definitely aren't in great shape, but tough to go too wrong for 4 cents each.

Note - FB marketplace is only available on the app, so if you are on a PC, this link may not be too helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/132270837328477

Screenshot_20170621-084951.png

Screenshot_20170621-084937.png

I'm about 2 hrs away. If it didn't look like they were set out in the sun to bake, I'd be half tempted to take a little trip. I'm guessing the majority of these are warped. :(

I'm about 1.5 hours away (may be closer to 2+ in evening rush hour). I'm interested, but I probably wouldn't have time to even get down there until next week or next weekend.

If anyone else here is interested in these, even a rack or so, let me know, either on this thread or PM. I'll volunteer to go, if the chips are still available next week. If someone else wants to make the trip, that's fine with me, too.

Great value, even for warped, discolored chips. I've had success flattening chips before with a couple wood clamps and ceramic blanks, but can be time consuming.

Turns out, I got my towns mixed up. Still chatting with him, but further away than I thought. Still working it though

Turns out, I got my towns mixed up. Still chatting with him, but further away than I thought. Still working it though
Mark, I haven't contacted the seller, but if you work something out or not, let me know. I'd be willing to pick them up for you -- it's a little closer to DC -- but I can't do it until next week (weeknight or weekend). It would also give me a good excuse to stop by MGM National Harbor for the first time.

I'd probably be interested in a few racks (or more), depending on condition and how well they look paired with some well-used Sahara fracs and solid blue hotstamp $1s - I'm thinking these might make nice $5s. Regardless who picks these up, I'd propose sorting them into racks by condition & color to have more uniform racks - it looks like 3 of about 25 chips in the close up photo have much sharper edges. If any need cleaning, I have an ultrasonic cleaner.

Not sure it's really 1k... some of the barrels look to be missing a chip or two.
Good eye. But I thought, what am I going to do, ask him to knock $1 off the price if 7 chips are missing? Nah. Still a deal.

I'd propose sorting them into racks by condition & color to have more uniform racks - i
That's a chore that will drive you insane. I recently got a single rack of uneven starbursts and after about 15 min of attempted sorting, I felt like I didn't even want the chips any more.

That's a chore that will drive you insane. I recently got a single rack of uneven starbursts and after about 15 min of attempted sorting, I felt like I didn't even want the chips any more.
Then send them to me. :)

A few months back, I sorted through about 8 racks of Casablanca $5s. I had discovered/re-discovered the slight differences with the inlay, about three different variations, and slight differences in color red. What turned out were more beautifully uniform racks. I sold 2 of the more uniform racks to someone else. I wished I had noticed the inlay difference and sorted them years ago.

I did the same thing for California Bell $1s - there are a few shades of blue, mainly darker and lighter, but others faded that were in between. It helped the sorting to have good lighting and a contrasting white or dark surface to spread the chips out on, and a couple color chips for comparison.

Pro tip -- some colors might become uniform after oiling. When I got a couple racks of used Terrible's $25s, they didn't look great -- some chips were splotchy with lighter patches, like they had been Oxi cleaned, and some chips were a little dirty, and others were almost in mint shape with perfect green color, and it looked like 4 different shades of green. But after a quick ultrasonic clean, dry, and generous application of baby oil, the green color was amazingly uniform throughout all the chips. It was a night and day difference. But this probably won't work with well used or old faded chips - there is a lot of variation of colors in 2 racks of pink and orange Sahara fracs, even after cleaning and oiling.

I made arrangements for my little brother to pick them up from him today. Deal should be going down soon. Will report back once it's done. Not sure when I'll go get them from him, though, but I should at least be able to get a count and perhaps some better pics.

@MegaTon44 - Thanks for posting these. They might turn out to be useless, but hard to balk at the price.
You're welcome. My thought is that even if you can cherry pick 400 chips that aren't warped to shit, that's still only 10 cents each. Tough to go too wrong.

Glad you could snag em!

Finally picked these up from my little brother on Sunday. Holy shit these chips are DIRTY. I don't even want to touch them! Hair, random little pieces of trash, I even found a screw in between two of them . They're pretty faded and warped. Not sure what I'll do with them.

Final count is 997 Paulsons with $5.00 on one side and MJE on the other. Plus randomly, one Super Diamond.

20170718_195559[1].jpg

I cleaned and oiled a few of them, and they clean up pretty nicely. Not sure how well it's captured.

20170718_195709[1].jpg

20170718_195745[1].jpg

20170718_195754[1].jpg

Sure seems like you're right. Also seems like they've been sitting in a backyard or an outside dog house for the intervening 20 years...

Could you save me 1 chip please... one in better shape if possible. I'd love to add 1 to my MD collection

I'm thinking about getting an ultrasonic cleaner and running these through it, though I know nothing about them or the process. But maybe it'll be a good investment. No idea. Gotta research.

I'm thinking about getting an ultrasonic cleaner and running these through it, though I know nothing about them or the process. But maybe it'll be a good investment. No idea. Gotta research.

Buy this (somewhere, usually on eBay) - http://www.vevor.com/6l-ultrasonic-cleaner.html

Read this first for general info https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/ultrasonic-chip-cleaning.1691/

Then this second for specific instructions for that cleaner https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/ultrasonic-chip-cleaning.1691/page-9#post-225965

I've cleaned about 3000 chips with an ultrasonic, including some hotstamp chips. Below are some before & after pics below for some moderately dirty chips.
1) The Ocean Blue color chips on top are all same color, barrels from L to R are: dirty, cleaned/dry, and cleaned/oiled.
2) And the Sahara hotstamps, which were in pretty poor condition to begin with, got a little brighter. (although the lighting is better in the after pic). Any gold foil left on hotstamp chips typically holds up through the ultrasonic cycle (3-4 minutes), although with hotstamps I tend to use less of the cleaning solution (I use the 'fake' TSP).​

If you'd consider outsourcing the cleaning of the red $5s you just picked up, let me know. I might be able to be bribed...with, say, a small cash donation, or a couple racks of the red $5s. I might be interested in some solid red $5s in used condition to go with the Sahara fracs below.

20170604_180041 (Custom).jpg
20170604_180253 (Custom).jpg

Sahara-dirty (Custom).JPG
Sahara-clean (Custom).JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom