1000 chip set breakdown (2 Viewers)

Laker285

Two Pair
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on a 1,000 chip set breakdown with the following denominations:

$1 - 200
$5 - 250
$25 - 200
$100 - 150
$500 - 100
$1000 - 100

This is for a simply tournament style game with friends.

Should I have more of one and less of another or will this work good?

Having a politically charged avatar is probably a great way to limit the helpfulness of some members around here...
Just an helpful hint…Ask questions before assumptions. It’s comments like this that keep division alive.
I have a lot of cops in my family and in my circle of friends, I studied Criminal Justice for 3 years and was an armed guard at Smith and Wesson. I made my own custom dealer, big blind and little blind buttons using the blue stripe and have received a lot of great feedback from them.
If people are that shallow to not give advice based on an avatar then I say good riddance to them.
Lastly, if it offended you, private message me and I’d gladly take it down. In the future, doing a drive by comment that can stir divisiveness doesn’t help.
I support the police period. Have my whole life. It’s not about politics.
Thanks.

T1 base? How many tables? For 2 tables a T25 base works well with 600 chips. Search the forum and read. Lot written about this. Good luck
Thanks. I’ve searched and a will continue to but sometimes I just love the fresh live feedback! Appreciate all the input!

Reactions: BNM
Just an helpful hint…Ask questions before assumptions. It’s comments like this that keep division alive.
I have a lot of cops in my family and in my circle of friends, I studied Criminal Justice for 3 years and was an armed guard at Smith and Wesson. I made my own custom dealer, big blind and little blind buttons using the blue stripe and have received a lot of great feedback from them.
If people are that shallow to not give advice based on an avatar then I say good riddance to them.
Lastly, if it offended you, private message me and I’d gladly take it down. In the future, doing a drive by comment that can stir divisiveness doesn’t help.
I support the police period. Have my whole life. It’s not about politics.
Thanks.
If that avatar offends someone then THEY are probably too politically charged, overall. Don’t change it even for a PM.

T1 base? How many tables? For 2 tables a T25 base works well with 600 chips. Search the forum and read. Lot written about this. Good luck
Listen to @RocAFella1 and @Chipandchair. There are a ton of very good breakdown threads on here - I’ll link if I can find one or two quickly.

Generally, it’s probably better to work the opposite direction, like they said: number of players/tables, starting stacks, base denom, etc., and figure out your minimums, then ramp up your set to be able to cover other games/stacks, etc., and fill it out to hit 1000. Presuming 1000 is your magic number for being a whole person. :)

Good luck!

Some of this I've copied and pasted from some other posts of mine.

In general, for a 1 to 3 table home tournament, with the common 5x or 4x jump in denominations (noting the T500 to T1000 jump is only 2x.), you will probably only ever need 5 different denominations of chips.
  • If starting with a 1 denom chip (T1), a tournament set probably only needs T5, T25, T100 and T500 chips to run a tournament.
  • If the lowest denom is T25 chip, a set generally needs only T25 through T5000.
  • T100 through T25000, etc.
But the answer I'd give does depend on # of players or tables, blind structure and jumps, and how long you plan on playing, a longer tournament means the staring stacks can be more Big Blinds in the first level.

In general, try to figure out what you will start the blinds at, and come up with the corresponding starting stacks for the number of players, whether rebuys are allowed or not, and multiply the starting stacks to get the total desired chip sets.

400 to 600 chips should be plenty for a 10 person tournament. An 800-1000 chip set can work for 20+ players.

A common tournament set in the past (back when most tournaments still used T25 chips, often had a total of T10000 in the starting stack, with blinds starting at 25-50. Meaning the starting stack was 200 Big Blinds for the first level. Some common chip breakdowns for a T25 base tournament with T10000 starting stacks are:
(T25/T100/T500/T1000 denoms)
8/8/4/7 = 27 chips
8/8/6/6 = 28 chips
12/12/5/6 = 35 chips
12/12/7/5 = 36 chips

Some of this I've copied and pasted from some other posts of mine.

In general, for a 1 to 3 table home tournament, with the common 5x or 4x jump in denominations (noting the T500 to T1000 jump is only 2x.), you will probably only ever need 5 different denominations of chips.
  • If starting with a 1 denom chip (T1), a tournament set probably only needs T5, T25, T100 and T500 chips to run a tournament.
  • If the lowest denom is T25 chip, a set generally needs only T25 through T5000.
  • T100 through T25000, etc.
But the answer I'd give does depend on # of players or tables, blind structure and jumps, and how long you plan on playing, a longer tournament means the staring stacks can be more Big Blinds in the first level.

In general, try to figure out what you will start the blinds at, and come up with the corresponding starting stacks for the number of players, whether rebuys are allowed or not, and multiply the starting stacks to get the total desired chip sets.

400 to 600 chips should be plenty for a 10 person tournament. An 800-1000 chip set can work for 20+ players.

A common tournament set in the past (back when most tournaments still used T25 chips, often had a total of T10000 in the starting stack, with blinds starting at 25-50. Meaning the starting stack was 200 Big Blinds for the first level. Some common chip breakdowns for a T25 base tournament with T10000 starting stacks are:
(T25/T100/T500/T1000 denoms)
8/8/4/7 = 27 chips
8/8/6/6 = 28 chips
12/12/5/6 = 35 chips
12/12/7/5 = 36 chips
Is there a limit to how many chips you can have as a starting stack? What’s is the highest starting stack out there? I’ve always wanted to have a premium 1,000 chip set. It might be for only one table but I’m good with that.

Is there a limit to how many chips you can have as a starting stack? What’s is the highest starting stack out there?
Not really, it's basically limited by the chipset and what's best for a tournament. Some sets are designed for 20 players plus rebuys and/or colorups, so for 40 chips each, that's 800 chips.

I think most tournaments I've ever played in have had between 25 to 50 chips in a starting stack, but if you're doing just 1 table and want to get a lot of chips in play, and want to give each player close to a rack each, go for it and see how it works out. Somthing somewhat more time-consuming with more chips and bigger stacks is counting down of stacks when players are all in.

Is there a limit to how many chips you can have as a starting stack? What’s is the highest starting stack out there? I’ve always wanted to have a premium 1,000 chip set. It might be for only one table but I’m good with that.
Best practices indicate that good starting stacks are usually between 25-37 total chips each, but a stack's construction is infinitely more important than a stack's quantity.

There are lower and upper guidelines for the individual denominations used in any given structure, to 1) ensure that enough chips are in play (to avoid excessive change-making), 2) ensure that sufficient numbers of the correct denomination(s) are in play at the right time(s) (for smooth game play), and 3) ensure that excessive quantities of chips in play do not create issues with game play (via allowing for efficient betting, counting, and restacking of chips).

A 1000-chip tournament set for a single table will contain a LOT of chips that won't ever see play. It's like wasting 20%-60% of your chip budget.

Here's an example of very heavy stacks -- meaning stacks that are constructed much larger than what is necessary or commonly recommended (for good reasons):
20 x T25
20 x T100
15 x T500
20 x T1000
That is 75 chips = T30,000 starting stack, or 300bb deepstacks with 50/100 opening blinds (and easily 2-3x the size of what is usually recommended for starting stacks -- using a more efficient 12/12/5/6/4 breakdown of 39 chips would be pretty typical).

Ten of those stacks totals 750 chips. A tournament set also needs color-up chips, used to remove the smaller denominations when no longer needed to post blinds, and to ensure enough larger denomination chips are in play when they will be needed in the latter stages of the event:
1 x T5000 to color-up/replace the T25 chips
4 x T5000 to color-up/replace the T100 chips
15 x T5000 to color-up/replace the T500 chips
That adds 20 x T5000 to the set size (now 770 chips). Add another 30 x T5000 chips to allow for five re-buys (6 x T5000 each), which brings the total up to 800 chips.

Any other chips added beyond that won't get used, and adding 200 more unneeded chips to meet a magical-number-of-1000 means that 20% of the set will just sit unused, while the wasted money spent on those chips could have been used to upgrade the quality of the 800 chips that will actually see play.

Expand that concept further and realize that only 400 chips are actually needed to comfortably run that same T30k stack single-table tournament, which means that one could free up another half of the chip budget to select premium chips which are even nicer.

Quality trumps quantity every time, when it comes to selecting a 'premium' chip set you want.

Last edited:
Best practices indicate that good starting stacks are usually between 25-37 total chips each, but a stack's construction is infinitely more important than a stack's quantity.

There are lower and upper guidelines for the individual denominations used in any given structure, to 1) ensure that enough chips are in play (to avoid excessive change-making), 2) ensure that sufficient numbers of the correct denomination(s) are in play at the right time(s) (for smooth game play), and 3) ensure that excessive quantities of chips in play do not create issues with game play (via allowing for efficient betting, counting, and restacking of chips).

A 1000-chip tournament set for a single table will contain a LOT of chips that won't ever see play. It's like wasting 20%-60% of your chip budget.

Here's an example of very heavy stacks -- meaning stacks that are constructed much larger than what is necessary or commonly recommended (for good reasons):
20 x T25
20 x T100
15 x T500
20 x T1000
That is 75 chips = T30,000 starting stack, or 300bb deepstacks with 50/100 opening blinds (and easily 2-3x the size of what is usually recommended for starting stacks -- using an efficient 12/12/4/7/4 breakdown of 39 chips would be typical).

Ten of those stacks totals 750 chips. A tournament set also needs color-up chips, used to remove the smaller denominations when no longer needed to post blinds, and to ensure enough larger denomination chips are in play when they will be needed in the latter stages of the event:
That adds 20 x T5000 to the set size (now 770 chips). Add another 30 x T5000 chips to allow for five re-buys (6 x T5000 each), which brings the total up to 800 chips.

Any other chips added beyond that won't get used, and adding 200 more unneeded chips to meet a magical-number-of-1000 means that 20% of the set will just sit unused, while the wasted money spent on those chips could have been used to upgrade the quality of the 800 chips that will actually see play.

Expand that concept further and realize that only 400 chips are actually needed to comfortably run that same T30k stack single-table tournament, which means that one could free up another half of the chip budget to select chips which are even nicer.

Quality trumps quantity every time, when it comes to selecting a 'premium' chip set you want.
Love this. Very helpful and insightful

Love this. Very helpful and insightful
Two comments

1- BGinGA (Dave) is one of the most trusted and knowledgeable tourney structure wizards out there. Ive developed a lot of structures too, but Dave is who I listened to when I first started.
2- Ignore those who try to politicize your avatar. It’s not political to support law enforcement. Police should never be politicized. Granted, they‘ve come under fire the last couple years (and not without some controversy), but those trying to tear down the cops are the ones trying to make it political, on purpose. I think you said it best, if people have an issue with you supporting law enforcement, to the point that’s the reason they’d withhold offering advice, then eff them… There are plenty of people here who will extend a friendly handshake to you!

Welcome to PCF.

20 x T25
20 x T100
15 x T500
20 x T1000
That is 75 chips = T30,000 starting stack, or 300bb deepstacks with 50/100 opening blinds (and easily 2-3x the size of what is usually recommended for starting stacks -- using a more efficient 12/12/5/6/4 breakdown of 39 chips would be pretty typical).

Expand that concept further and realize that only 400 chips are actually needed to comfortably run that same T30k stack single-table tournament, which means that one could free up another half of the chip budget to select premium chips which are even nicer.

End thread;

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom