10 Year Update: Monterey Club TRKs (Gardena, CA) (1 Viewer)

Split

Two Pair
Reaction score
In June of 2012, I decided that I was going to pursue a playable set of TR King small crown chips. The minty Nevada chips were already wildly popular back then, and they were out of my price range. I decided to go a different direction instead. Since I’m from California, and TRK chips were made in California since the 1930’s, I decided to pursue a California set. While the TRK solid hot stamped sets are great, I already had a small set of those and I wanted something else. I wanted a set with an inlay and edgespots on the small crown mold. I didn’t need mint chips, and I didn’t need shaped inlays. I looked at what was available on eBay at the time and within recent sale history, and the Monterey Club stood out as the likely candidate. At the time, I lived about eight miles from the site of the former Monterey Club, so it seemed like a good choice. There were a few auctions running on eBay at the time, and I started bidding.

Ten years ago today, I received several auctions that I won, and posted a thread over on the blue wall. My Monterey Club chips officially became a set on 03 July 2012. This was the first and last time I received chips packed this way:

101_1117.JPG

101_1120.JPG

When I posed some of the racks that came with the chips, @dolomite128 correctly figured out that I’d received some TRKs.

101_1130.JPG

101_1131.JPG

Unfortunately, the remainder of the original thread was lost when CT disappeared, but here are some of the pics that show the beginnings of this set:

101_1137.JPG

101_1140.JPG

101_1143.JPG

The rack of 90 $1s and a quarter shown at the bottom of the group shot was my first non-single purchase of Monterey Club chips. Many (possibly most) of the Monterey Club chips I acquired back then were from local sellers, including the seller of that partial rack. I met the seller after work to receive the chips, and we have stayed in touch since then. I purchased a handful of other chips from that seller over the years, including some of the hard to find $20s. I don’t think they are a member here, but I think they do read the forum now and then. If you see this, thank you for being a part of this chipping journey!

One of the more interesting purchases I made was for a lot of chips on eBay from another local seller. I met the seller in a parking lot to pick up the chips. That seller had obtained the chips in a storage unit auction. The mix of chips was random, and the chips were covered in a brown dust that I’m going to continue to believe was a disintegrated chocolate bar. There were pieces of a disintegrated candy bar wrapped in with the chips, so it might even be true. I haven’t cleaned my set (yet?), but I did wipe that particular lot of chips off one at a time.

Five years ago today, I posted my updates here on PCF. I’ve had a few milestones since then. I now have a second rack of quarters, the rack of 50c chips is all inlaid chips, I have a second rack of $2s, and I completed my first and second barrel of $20s. I’ve picked up some more $1s and $5s as well. When I bought those first eBay auctions, I had no idea that I would eventually build a 1700 chip limit set. As it became clear that the $20s would be hard to find, I purchased more $1s and $5s to help accommodate a larger bank. One thing led to another, and here we are. I’d still like to swap out those last 60 $1s for 60 $20s, and maybe in another 15 years I’ll get there. If I’m lucky enough to be hosting poker games 40 years from now, the $5s might even be the limit set chips!

I know you didn’t come here just for the wall of text, so here are the pics!

IMG_5546.JPG

IMG_5552.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5555.JPG

IMG_5572.JPG

IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

So am I done? Not even close. As you can likely see in the pictures, the conditions of the chips are all over the place. The used $5s are generally in better shape than the other denominations, which leads to different stack heights. Then there are the sharp chips that have even more noticeable stack height differences. Some chips are some of the most worn chips I’ve seen, some are spinners, some appear to be sun faded, and some look like they were cleaned too aggressively. This is going to be a lifelong effort to get consistent chips together for a NL set. Who knows, maybe someday I’ll even have a consistent limit set too. I’m pretty sure I’ll be hunting $20s for decades to come as well. If this is my grail set, then my grail quest continues.

As is often the case in this hobby, this was a group effort. I’d like to thank (in no particular order) @Starchy, @TheB00T, @John Conor, @Windwalker, @TRKingChips, @JWC and @leo822 for hooking me up with Monterey Club chips through various means. I’d like to give a special thanks to @AfterTheFact, who has been keeping an eye out for me for years and is responsible for finding most of my $20s. I would also like to thank @gmunny for being very kind when reminding me that he had, in fact, sold his Monterey Club chips to me years ago when I recently inquired if he still had them. Thank for reading this far. I hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:
beautiful, love the commitment , give me the total so I can add to biggest chipsets resource

Thanks everyone!

You can re-open the Monterey club with that set!

Bravo.
While there were small California card rooms that operated with fewer chips, the Monterey Club was no small card room! Their first order for this style of chips was for 34,500 total chips of the 10c, 25c, $1, $5, and $20 denominations in 1970. There are some discrepancies in the TRK order cards, but by my preliminary count the club ordered 114,200 chips of this style over a span of just over 10 years. There is evidence that the Monterey Club would destroy old chips, so it's unlikely that they all survived. However, quite a few chips did survive, and I'm sure there are more out there! The club did switch back to ordering hot stamps for the 10c, 25c, and 50c chips towards the end, and the chips definitely would have played together but I didn't include those in the counts above.

That 50 cent chip is one of the GOAT TRKs. Don't @ me, anyone.
It's a great chip, and it's just about as California as a 50c chip can get. I plan to post some pics of the individual denominations, along with a mini-review for each denomination, and I look forward to writing up what I've learned about the 50c chip!

Matt,
It’s been my pleasure to watch your set grow. I hope to see that rack of $20’s come to fruition. What an awesome set. Great write up. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I hope to see it come to fruition too. Even if I found the rest of a rack tomorrow, this has got to be one of the longest rack hunts on record!

What a spectacular set! Congrats - must make for a great game!
Thanks! I'm working on getting a poker group together again after my hiatus, and I really hope that they like limit games so I can get most (all?) of the $1s in play at some point. I also really look forward to seeing the $5 in play in NL games too, so I guess I'll just be happy to play anything again.

beautiful, love the commitment , give me the total so I can add to biggest chipsets resource
Including my sample set, I am at 3,873 chips. If you include hot stamped 50c chips, that number increases to over 4,000. As a mildly interesting observation, I have exactly 1,275 $5 chips. The Monterey Club ordered 25,500 $5 chips in this style, which means I have precisely 5% of the $5 chips ordered in this style.

I haven't had the chance to take photos of the individual denominations yet, but in the meantime here is where most of the chips live:

IMG_5639.JPG

IMG_5640.JPG

Can you clarify, are the hotstamped .50 chips original, then they should be included, let me know that final number, thanks

Wow, Nice! Impressive set you put together there. Always liked the Monterey Club chips (have some $1s as stand ins for my Rainbow Club set).
View attachment 945659

Now let's talk about those Rainbow Club $.50s and $20s I see there.. :p

View attachment 945655
With the same base colors and the fact that the clubs were siblings, I had the same idea using the random Rainbow Club chips I wound up with to augment my then small set. Those Rainbow $20s are still the de facto $20s for my set though, as the Monterey Club $20 has proven extremely elusive.
Can you clarify, are the hotstamped .50 chips original, then they should be included, let me know that final number, thanks
The hot stamped chips are original, and I also have some hot stamped dimes and a single hot stamped quarter. All together, that leaves me with 4,067 Monterey Club small crown chips that would have been live in the same time period. Speaking of dimes...

As I mentioned above, I wanted a set of California TRKs. There are plenty of variations of colors that California card rooms use, but in my opinion the canonical California colors (especially where TRK is concerned) are lavender nickels, white dimes, red quarters, green or peach half dollars, blue $1s, yellow $5s, black $20s, and white $100s. Gardena card rooms had a slight variation, in that the rooms that had $100 chips early on had a lavender base with white spots. Close enough for me. The Monterey Club never had a $100, but all of the other denominations are spot on for California colors. I plan to take photos of all the denominations I have, and I'll start with the dimes.

The Monterey Club ordered 9,000 dimes with a white base and red spots with this inlay between 1970 and 1977. Curiously, they also ordered 600 plain white hot stamped dimes in 1976 and 500 hot stamped dimes with a white base and red spots in 1977 prior to their final order of the inlaid version. They went on to order another 2,000 plain white hot stamped dimes in 1979.

Most of my inlaid dimes are in good condition with sharp edges, and I suspect they came from the later orders and did not see much play time. However, a few of them have extensive wear. If these were from the original order of 6,500 inlaid dimes in 1970, they likely saw more table time than the later orders. The fact that I have seen so few of them also suggests that the older dimes did not make it out of the card room when it closed. It's possible that some or most of them were destroyed prior to closing. This is all speculation though. I have not seen any firsthand accounts attesting to their destruction nor have I seen any firsthand accounts of what chips made it out.

Here are some pictures of a rack of the inlaid dimes, along with examples of both small crown hot stamp versions. I also included one of the more worn dimes that I've come across. I really like the version with the hot stamp and the red edgespots, but I've only ever seen a few of those. I hope you enjoy!

IMG_5645.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

IMG_5650.JPG

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5652.JPG

IMG_5653.JPG

IMG_5654.JPG

IMG_5655.JPG

Last edited:
I set out hoping to take pics of one denomination every week or so. Right now, I’m on track for one denomination every… five months. My new goal is to get through each denomination before the set turns 11!

At any rate, the holiday season seems like perfect timing for the Monterey Club quarters. From 1970 through 1979, the club ordered 24,000 small crown inlaid red quarters with dark green spots. In 1981 the club ordered 1,000 hotstamped red quarters with dark green spots.

When I first started collecting Monterey Club chips, a local chipper threw in a single quarter with my first purchase of 90 $1 chips. I liked the quarter immediately, but it took me a long time to put my first rack together. The TRK order cards for these chips hadn’t been published yet, so I didn’t know how many were possibly out there. For a while, I even had more $20s than quarters. The quarters have been easier to find lately, which makes sense now that we know there were 24,000 of them ordered in the ‘70s.

The quarters are generally pretty worn. I have some that can stand on edge, but few (if any) would qualify as sharp. As you can see in the pictures below, I’ll need to cull the chips in order to have a set of chips with reasonably even stack heights. However, stack heights were not my main concern when I put my first rack of these together. I was excited to have a rack at all!

I also really like the hotstamped version of the quarters. I’ve never seen them in quantity, and I have only managed to acquire a small handful of them. All the examples I have are in much better condition than the average inlaid quarter. These, along with the hotstamped Monterey Club dimes with red spots, are two of my favorite hotstamped chips out there.

Without further ado, here are the pics.

IMG_5971.JPG

IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5974.JPG

IMG_5977.JPG

IMG_5978.JPG

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG

IMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5995.JPG

IMG_6002.JPG

After writing this post and taking the splashed pot pics, I decided to cull some of the obvious wafers and see how things look. I like these relative stack heights much better.

IMG_6003.JPG

IMG_6005.JPG

Since there’s been some discussion of similar looking RHC chips recently, I decided to pull out one of the doppelgangers from my small singles collection. Truth be told, I only bought this chip to see how close of a match it really is. Can you pick out which chip doesn’t belong?

IMG_6006.JPG

IMG_6007.JPG

The Monterey Club quarters were ordered from 1970-1979 and the Ormsby House $5 was ordered in 1972. These two chips were live at the same time. The edgespots on the Monterey Club chips are dark green while the Ormsby House is light green, but with a little fading on the Monterey Club chip I think it’s very difficult to see the difference.

Happy holidays!

Up next are the Monterey Club 50 cent chips. Between 1973 and 1979, the club ordered 5,000 of the inlaid chips with a light blaze base and four signal green spots. The club would then order a further 3,500 of the hotstamped 50 cent chips in 1981 as part of its last two orders with TRK. Various outlets report that the club closed in December of 1980, which would make these hotstamped chips something of a curiosity if they were in fact ordered after the club closed. There was also an order for 1,000 inlaid $20 chips, 2,500 inlaid $5 chips, and 2,500 inlaid $1 chips in November of 1980. If the club really shut down in December of 1980, I would hope that there would be a decent supply of nice condition chips out there. I sure haven't come across many. Maybe somebody kept all the nice chips for themselves. As you'll see below, the hotstamped 50 cent chips are in decent condition (aside from the hotstamps themselves), but they were definitely put into play somewhere.

The Monterey Club chips are decidedly lightweight. They are not the same as some of their leaded counterparts. The only possible exception are the 50 cent chips. They're on the order card as regular weight, but whatever formula TRK used to make those colors is definitely heavier than the other denominations. You can even hear the difference in the chips. The 50 cent chips are also the only chips in the Monterey Club lineup that have any colors that fluoresce, which gives them a little something extra under natural light.

It took a long time to track down a rack of inlaid 50 cent chips, but I'm satisfied with the result. The chips are fairly worn in general, although they clean up nicely. I never really set out to build a rack of the hotstamped chips, but they would come as part of bigger lots often enough. The chips themselves are generally in better shape than their inlaid counterparts, but their hotstamps are almost entirely worn off. The hotstamped 50 cent chips are nice enough, but I definitely prefer the hotstamped dimes and quarters that the club used.

I've been learning how to use a camera, so hopefully the pics will be a little more clear going forward.

aO42L3J.jpg

IUnjrxG.jpg

dI5LRsC.jpg

pDSdvoY.jpg

dv9GwZC.jpg

0aWAKB6.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6330.JPG
    IMG_6330.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6331.JPG
    IMG_6331.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6341.JPG
    IMG_6341.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6342.JPG
    IMG_6342.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6334.JPG
    IMG_6334.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6336.JPG
    IMG_6336.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 39

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom