10 player tourney: replacement players for absentees. help! (1 Viewer)

GenghisKhan

Full House
Reaction score
Hi,

We've been playing a 10-man tourney for quite a while. Each fall we start bi-weekly games, assign points to all players, and all make the final table since we are only 10. The more points, the more bonus starting chips you get.

We also play a cash game and have a list of about 16 guys that play fairly regularly. We start off calling our 10 regulars from our tourney league, and then fill in absences with the other 6 in the list.

We were trying to think of a way of integrating these "extras" in our tournaments when a regular can't make it.
We're trying to include them more and keep the calluos fair and even. We are all friends btw.

We heard of another group that does this and only awards points to the top 4 or 5 players instead of all 10. This way there's a chance a replacement player playing only a few games could actually make the final table if he did well in his games.

Does this sound do-able? How would you go about it? I just sold my theater style sofa so technically I think I could fit 2 tables now and just invite everyone. But if the wife shoots that down and have to stick to 1 table I need your collective expertise.(n) :thumbsdown:

Thanks!

We have 20 "regulars" that get pre-invites. They have until x day to reserve a seat, then invites go out to all subs.

Once you miss the pre-invite deadline, seats are filled first come first served.

Once you have subbed for an event, you become a priority sub, and get first crack among the subs. The thought is to get those subs who are willing to commit more opportunities and convert them into regulars if/when we have openings.

Usually when the announcement goes out and a regular says he can't make it, the priority sub invites go out even before the pre-invite deadline.

With 20 players, and only 9 at the Championship, its unlikely (but not impossible) for a sub to make it to the Championship. We used to have a playin tournament for the last seat in the Championship and it was not unusual for a sub to make it to the Qualifier. Last year, a sub won the qualifier and got a seat at the Championship, but he played in several events.

We use Neau's formula for points, so just showing up to an event and not finishing in the Top 5, you don't get very many points.

You could always create a rule that says the Final Table is only for the regular 10 players...subs can't play in that event. Or don't award subs points, only regulars. We like to keep our subs active because of turnover (jobs, families, etc.) -- several of our current regulars started as subs.

Awarding points to the top 5 could work.

I run a weekly cash game tournament from Labor day until Super Bowl Sunday. Because of the number of games, we have a lot of players that can't make a few of them. HOWEVER, the ones that miss games are not neccesarily disadvantaged because we assign negative and positive points. I call it a cash game tourney because we play a cash game and assign points based on your winnings or losses. So if you win $20, you get 20 points. If you lose $20, you get -20.

I've toyed with the idea of doing this with a regular tourney where the top half of the field get positive points and the bottom gets negative. For example, if you have 10 players, the scoring would be something like this:

1st (winner) = 5 points
2nd = 4
3rd = 3
4th = 2
5th = 1
6th = -1
7th = -2
8th = -3
9th = -4
10th = -5

This takes care of a few problems.

1. It minimizes the disadvantage to players that don't get to play regularly.

2. You can use it for any number of players. 8 players, then top 4 get positive, bottom 4 negative. 9 players, then give positive to top 4, player going out in the middle gets 0, bottom 4 negative.

3. The winner would get rewarded for winning a bigger tourney if you expand beyond 10. For example, The winner in a 16 player tourney would be rewarded with 8 points compared to the winner of an 8 player tourney who only gets 4.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!!

Oh yeah. There is another solution to explore. Buy your wife a new car right before you tell her you plan on expanding your game. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::D

We currently use Neau's formula as well and The Tournament Director software.

If we decide that subs can qualify for final:
We currently have the regulars pay a tourney fee at game 1, besides the buy in for that night. That tourney fee 100% goes to the final pot. Something else I was struggling with is how could I justify asking a sub to pay the fee, when he's not guaranteed a seat. Whereas in the past we were all guaranteed a seat.

Maybe i'll have no choice to raise each tourney buy-in, and take a % from that. Then everyone is considered to have contributed towards the final.

If we decide sub can't qualify for final:
I guess we won't enter them in Tournament Director. We don't assign pts for knocking someone out. So if they bust someone we could just select any random player. (Too bad, my players liked knowing how many ppl they busted).

So we'll decide on finals participation 1st for the subs.
Sending poll to my group.

We currently use Neau's formula as well and The Tournament Director software.

If we decide that subs can qualify for final:
We currently have the regulars pay a tourney fee at game 1, besides the buy in for that night. That tourney fee 100% goes to the final pot. Something else I was struggling with is how could I justify asking a sub to pay the fee, when he's not guaranteed a seat. Whereas in the past we were all guaranteed a seat.

Maybe i'll have no choice to raise each tourney buy-in, and take a % from that. Then everyone is considered to have contributed towards the final.

If we decide sub can't qualify for final:
I guess we won't enter them in Tournament Director. We don't assign pts for knocking someone out. So if they bust someone we could just select any random player. (Too bad, my players liked knowing how many ppl they busted).

So we'll decide on finals participation 1st for the subs.
Sending poll to my group.
If the sub ends up qualifying - can't you then charge them the fee to play in the finals?

Tourney season is around the corner. Looks like I put this on the back burner fir too long lol. Thanks for the previous suggestions.

Any other thoughts? Trying to get the most opinions and present them to my gang and let them vote. Thanks.

Looks like we probably will pick someone from our replacements list who would be our #1 replacement. That'd give him a better chance of playing more and making the final.

Easiest solution is to convert the cash winnings to points (and eventually, to chips). The top ten winners get the final table invite.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom