1.5 INCH RAIL PADDING??? (1 Viewer)

Billy Baroo

Flush
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using inch and a half thick foam on their rail? I see that pretty much all of the builds here use 1 inch thick and I’ve seen a few threads discuss using 2 layers of 1” foam but I have not seen anyone even mention using inch and a half. My preference is for a slightly thicker padded rail but I don’t want to make upholstering the rail overly difficult. I helped a buddy reupholster his rail last year using the 1” HD rail foam from YAT and whisper vinyl. It wasn’t necessarily difficult, but it certainly was tedious. While his rail is comfortable and provides adequate cushioning, I just think a little thicker padding would be perfect. I could also be dead wrong.

I ask this because I found a 1.5” thick foam sheet that I think is comparable to YAT’s 2.0/65lb 1” rail foam. It’s a touch less dense at 1.7, but has a slightly higher 70lb rating. Your Auto Trim finally has their 1” HD rail foam back in stock, so going with theirs is also an option. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...especially from our more experienced builders here.

OK as long as the rail isn't so high that resting elbows forces a player to push their shoulders up and tense the neck muscles too much. One game I go to has the rail a couple inches extra high above the felt (for deeper cupholder inserts) but the raised elbow rests tense up the entire upper body.

I’m thinking in all reality that the top of the rail would only be about a third of an inch higher than one with one inch foam padding due to how it’s compressed while installing the vinyl. I have no plans on making this table with a riser. It’ll be a standard 3/4” plywood rail on top of a 3/4” plywood table top. My concerns are more so with making the upholstery process more difficult with the thicker foam and if the foam itself specs out similar enough to the YAT “standard”.

I appreciate the concerns with the overall height being too high though. If I feel it’s too high after I finish, I’ll just take a hacksaw to the bottoms of the folding table legs and trim them to the desired overall height. Good to hear from a local too! I’m just south of you in Fuquay.

I used 1.5inch/70lb foam as I couldn't source 1 inch in the UK. Works fine, I think you'd do well to even notice provided you upholster the rail nice and tight.

I used 1.5” thick foam on the table that I recently sold. I loved it, except for where the seams showed through the vinyl, because it didn’t come in one sheet big enough to do the whole rail.

Attachments

• 23D162FD-2D72-4BB5-B693-319EDC323569.jpeg
    23D162FD-2D72-4BB5-B693-319EDC323569.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 154
I used 1.5” thick foam on the table that I recently sold. I loved it, except for where the seams showed through the vinyl, because it didn’t come in one sheet big enough to do the whole rail.
This is exactly why I ended up using the 1”HD foam from YAT. I couldn’t find a big enough continuous piece of 1.5” anywhere. The one inch is more than adequate but I do think the extra thickness would have been nice.
C2F77B23-333F-4B9D-BE03-FBACFC9C5F61.jpeg
59614D09-49F8-45F1-9D15-A54F3DA10DEB.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom