1-3 NLHE spot with KK (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
1-3 NLHE at one-eyed Jacks poker room in FL

Stacks are deep, Villain 1 ~$600, old Asian guy, pretty tight, plays pretty straightforward
villain 2 ~$900, younger Asian guy, likes to mix it up, seems to have a good idea where he’s at in a hand and seems to to have a good read on the table. Likes to gambool and will go with any flush draw.
villain 3 ~$900, younger white guy. Likes to mix it up but other than stealing a pot or two doesn’t seem tricky or dangerous.
hero covers. Middle aged white guy. Previously felted v2 with just top pair no kicker calling v2’s turn shove on a flush draw that missed on the river.

Hero on button and puts $5 straddle on. Three limpers, action on hero where he wakes up with K ♦️ K ♥️
Obviously raising, what’s the number?

Could you add more info? What position are the limpers in? Any of the limpers in the blinds or is there an additional $4 dead in the pot?

Could you add more info? What position are the limpers in? Any of the limpers in the blinds or is there an additional $4 dead in the pot?
sure, villain 1 was BB, v2 was mid position (3 to my right) v3 was my immediate right.

I am looking to get it head's up or at least down to 3 way any time I raise and base my number on that. Here, $30-40 feels right...unless we know one of these guys will call for more, then we should up it a bit. Love we are in position, love everybody has just flatted. This is a bread and butter situation....we should expect to win a majority of these situations.

Obviously, this will not be straight forward, but with info so far, we are loving life.

Okay so I made it $25. Maybe a little small in retrospect.

This is where things start to get interesting…

All three villains call, pot is now $100 (or if you’re a nit, $96: $101 - $5 rake)
Flop is QJT rainbow with a ♥️, ♦️ And a black card.
Checks to hero.

I lean check here 4 ways, but bet wouldn’t be too horrible. It’s thin though on this board…has smashed everyone’s range, tons of 2 pairs, some straights, limp call with TT isn’t unheard of either

Check and play turn

Okay so as @kirchhausen said, it’s very unlikely anyone has AK and it’s reasonably possible that I have AK. I figure I need to start telling the story that I have AK and what would my action look like if indeed I had AK. I need to make a value bet here and be prepared to make a big bet on the turn if I get called, don’t improve, and the board doesn’t get worse for me.

I decide to bet $50 or half the pot. Villain 1 & 2 both call, villain 3 thinks for awhile and folds. We’re now 3-way to the turn. Pot is now $250

Turn is the 9 ♦️ Booya, actually improve to the straight.
Board is now QJT9, two ♦️ Hero holds red KK

V1 checks, V2 donks for $115, action on hero….

Agree with @kirchhausen. This is a spot to jam if I ever saw one. Hero improves to the second nuts in a spot where hero should be holding AK and the others should not be. Hero would also do well to charge the diamond draws.

Okay so as @kirchhausen said, it’s very unlikely anyone has AK and it’s reasonably possible that I have AK. I figure I need to start telling the story that I have AK and what would my action look like if indeed I had AK. I need to make a value bet here and be prepared to make a big bet on the turn if I get called, don’t improve, and the board doesn’t get worse for me.

I decide to bet $50 or half the pot. Villain 1 & 2 both call, villain 3 thinks for awhile and folds. We’re now 3-way to the turn. Pot is now $250

Turn is the 9 ♦️ Booya, actually improve to the straight.
Board is now QJT9, two ♦️ Hero holds red KK

V1 checks, V2 donks for $115, action on hero….
I can't think of anything to do but jam. I think we get calls from sets sometimes and we get calls from the idiot straights and flush draws. We block the nuts (hard). I just got to think that most days we are good here, but there are cards that we don't want to see.

I wish I could calculate this with just the diamond draws, but I am not paying for that. Looks pretty good to me for a jam...if we throw out all the Axs that arent diamonds, that number probably drops by a bit, but we are still doing pretty good....still higher than 3:1 to win and chop one in 8 times. Jam is good here. hand equity.jpg

hand range.jpg

So I agree with all the comments that a jam is the right play. I however started thinking about the money, I was currently up a healthy amount for the session and a little hesitant to put most of it on the line. Normally I don’t think twice about that but I let it creep in. In retrospect, it’s the right play and the play I was setting up with my flop bet. Just stick it in and let the poker gods sort it out.

I think any raise short of a jam leaves me in a miserable place on the river if a bad card comes and I won’t be getting any more action from missed draws. But a raise likely gets a 3-bet jam from villain which would be fine and actually make the right decision easier.

But in the moment, my nuts shriveled up and I just called. Pot now $480

Of course the river brings another diamond ♦️, he bets $250 and I reward his runner runner flush with a call.

Had I jammed the turn he claims he would have called and based on how he was playing I believe he would have. He also likes to run it twice, I would have agreed and he would have at least won the first.

Kind of forgot about v1 in all this. It was pretty clear on the turn he was done and folded quickly after my call.

So I agree with all the comments that a jam is the right play. I however started thinking about the money, I was currently up a healthy amount for the session and a little hesitant to put most of it on the line. Normally I don’t think twice about that but I let it creep in. In retrospect, it’s the right play and the play I was setting up with my flop bet. Just stick it in and let the poker gods sort it out.

I think any raise short of a jam leaves me in a miserable place on the river if a bad card comes and I won’t be getting any more action from missed draws. But a raise likely gets a 3-bet jam from villain which would be fine and actually make the right decision easier.

But in the moment, my nuts shriveled up and I just called. Pot now $480

Of course the river brings another diamond ♦️, he bets $250 and I reward his runner runner flush with a call.

Had I jammed the turn he claims he would have called and based on how he was playing I believe he would have. He also likes to run it twice, I would have agreed and he would have at least won the first.

Kind of forgot about v1 in all this. It was pretty clear on the turn he was done and folded quickly after my call.
Thanks for posting the hand.

You think he calls a turn shove? He would be in absolute horrible shape if he called with just a bare flush.

Do you remember what cards he had? If it were at least to the Ace, he would have the 4 (actually 2) Kings for the combo as well.

Thanks for posting the hand.

You think he calls a turn shove? He would be in absolute horrible shape if he called with just a bare flush.

Do you remember what cards he had? If it were at least to the Ace, he would have the 4 (actually 2) Kings for the combo as well.
He had A5 of ♦️, my luck (had we run it twice) he would have hit a King on the second board to make broadway.

Based on your original assessment of each player, sounds like he probably would have called the jam. Maybe you run it twice and win one or maybe not and you lose more. Might have saved some money by calling - hard to know if he would have really called when you put him to a decision and only one card to come. Thanks for sharing!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom