$1/2 Hold'em at the Mirage (1 Viewer)

Rhodeman77

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I was in Vegas a few weeks ago and ended up in one of my favorite rooms late on a Saturday night.

The line up:
We are playing 7 handed table is more than happy to limp for $2 80% of the time easily. Hero is about the only opening most hands.

BB: $200 stack. Quiet, wearing ear buds, seams pretty nitty overall. Took a bad beat from the button earlier and only rebought for $100 so he may be out of money to play further if he goes broke.

Middle position: hero!!! $700 stack. It has been a roller coaster for hero to get to this point. Most aggressive player at the table by far. Table image wouldn't be Extreme LAG, but definetly on the LAG side. Most of the big pots hero has shown down a strong hand though when it has gotten to the river.

Middle +1: $200 stack super nitty. Mid 30's Seems to be playing poker to just get his free drinks. Every time the waitress comes around he orders another beer. Earlier he stuck around with 88 to the river and got lucky to catch a set then only checked called, his set was the 3rd nuts as only 2 higher sets could beat him, all draws missed. WTF?!?

CO: drunk old Asian guy that won the daily tournament. Sits down with the entire winnings, close to $1k. Dronks off some to Hero and the a bunch to the button in less than 30 minutes. Stack is maybe $300 at this point. He was very talkative when he sat down and splashing around. But after the beat by the button player he has quieted down and may be licking his wounds.

Button: $800 or so stack. 60ish. Local action gambler type. Think he is much better than he really is. Acts like the room belongs to him since he has been playing in it since the 80's.

He lost a bunch to the Hero in the last hour when hero check called him on to the river then check raised him.

Button then went on a little tilt but got lucky against drunk old Asian guy that won the daily tournament only to blow most of it in one hand bluffing. Drunk guy ends up folding to a $42 allin bet with the pot over $800! :eek::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

UTG straddles for $5 and it folds to Hero who looks down at :ah::kh:.

What's our action?

no info on UTG but I'm making it $20 to go. MP+1 prolly folding, if CO and BTN wanna come along, pay for it.

I was in Vegas a few weeks ago and ended up in one of my favorite rooms late on a Saturday night.

The line up:
We are playing 7 handed table is more than happy to limp for $2 80% of the time easily. Hero is about the only opening most hands.

BB: $200 stack. Quiet, wearing ear buds, seams pretty nitty overall. Took a bad beat from the button earlier and only rebought for $100 so he may be out of money to play further if he goes broke.

Middle position: hero!!! $700 stack. It has been a roller coaster for hero to get to this point. Most aggressive player at the table by far. Table image wouldn't be Extreme LAG, but definetly on the LAG side. Most of the big pots hero has shown down a strong hand though when it has gotten to the river.

Middle +1: $200 stack super nitty. Mid 30's Seems to be playing poker to just get his free drinks. Every time the waitress comes around he orders another beer. Earlier he stuck around with 88 to the river and got lucky to catch a set then only checked called, his set was the 3rd nuts as only 2 higher sets could beat him, all draws missed. WTF?!?

CO: drunk old Asian guy that won the daily tournament. Sits down with the entire winnings, close to $1k. Dronks off some to Hero and the a bunch to the button in less than 30 minutes. Stack is maybe $300 at this point. He was very talkative when he sat down and splashing around. But after the beat by the button player he has quieted down and may be licking his wounds.

Button: $800 or so stack. 60ish. Local action gambler type. Think he is much better than he really is. Acts like the room belongs to him since he has been playing in it since the 80's.

He lost a bunch to the Hero in the last hour when hero check called him on to the river then check raised him.

Button then went on a little tilt but got lucky against drunk old Asian guy that won the daily tournament only to blow most of it in one hand bluffing. Drunk guy ends up folding to a $42 allin bet with the pot over $800! :eek::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

UTG straddles for $5 and it folds to Hero who looks down at :ah::kh:.

What's our action?

Edit: Missed the straddle - $20 is my move now.

I'm opening to $8 - $10 here as you don't state how many call your previous opens. Maybe less if they normally fold.

Most of heros bigger raises have only seen a call for the 60 ish guy. He seems to call everything preflop. Smaller raises, to $7-10 have been getting multiple callers.

Most of heros bigger raises have only seen a call for the 60 ish guy. He seems to call everything preflop. Smaller raises, to $7-10 have been getting multiple callers.

Your holding Ace high in middle position. I'm still betting 20.

With that said and the straddle, probably going $15 to $20 here.

A raise is pretty obvious here. Hero raises a little bigger than normal trying to target a drunk Asian guy and or 60ish guy in the button as both they seem to call with anything preflop.

Hero makes it $25 to go and gets called by Mid+1, old drunk guy folds (damn!), Button calls (yea!), SB folds, BB calls (shocked!), Straddle folds.

Pot is now about $100 after rake and promo fund drop.

We see a flop of :ks::6c::5s:

BB checks, action is on Hero.
What are we doing with top pair top kicker on a draw heavy board and 3 preflop callers?

Despite their tight images hero is probably stacking off vs MP+1 and BB due to stack sizes. But I'm guessing the real fun begins with BTN. I'm betting $65 on this flop with most of my range.

Despite their tight images hero is probably stacking off vs MP+1 and BB due to stack sizes. But I'm guessing the real fun begins with BTN. I'm betting $65 on this flop with most of my range.

65 is probably better. One of my weaknesses I think I have in my game is always leaning towards the larger bet/raise. At least I'm consistent. I do it with the nuts, with draws, and with air.

A bet seems to be the general agreement.

Hero bets $70. Mid+1 snap calls and so does the button. Hero's head was spinning trying to keep up with action it happened so fast!

BB then goes all-in for $175 and action is back to Hero.

What is our play now???

I'd like to think I'm still ahead and BB is shoving his short stack on a draw. I'm either shoving in attempt to isolate and play heads up, or I'm folding. No way I just call.

sorry, been busy spending 1100 bucks in chips in the last 10 minutes :oops::eek:o_O Fuck, now that I'm broke. I'm folding and going home lol.........

Shove that shit into the pot.

sorry, been busy spending 1100 bucks in chips in the last 10 minutes :oops::eek:o_O Fuck, now that I'm broke. I'm folding and going home lol.........

Shove that shit into the pot.

Did you just buy a bunch of PNY chips?!? :D

The poker room at the Mirage in Vegas...is the center of the poker universe. Doyle Brunson, Johnny Chan, Phil Helmuth...The legends consider it their office. Every couple of days a new millionaire shows up...wanting to beat a world champion. Usually they go home with nothing but a story.

A bet seems to be the general agreement.

Hero bets $70. Mid+1 snap calls and so does the button. Hero's head was spinning trying to keep up with action it happened so fast!

BB then goes all-in for $175 and action is back to Hero.

What is our play now???

BB and MP+1 are both nitty. BB is playing it like he has a set or AA and is happy to take it down. The question is, can you make enough off the button to offset doubling up BB or MP+1?

My thoughts at this point are:

Mid+1 and the button are both drawing, hopefully to the same hand. I feel BB has me crushed with a set.

So yes, I am wondering if I shove will both Give Me Another Beer guy and the Button call?

If they do the side pot between the Button and myself would be about $1k with the main pot being $800 that I think I have a very very small chance of winning, ie runner, runner type chance.

But if they both fold, or more importantly the Button folds since I don't care about the $100 from Beer guy that I most likely can't win then I am pretty much l lighting $130 on fire against the BB. Sure there is chance he has 56 and I have more out than I think, or even AK for a chop but I am mostly weighting him towards sets on this board.

Bleh. Fold. If it were HU vs BB or MP+1 I think you could call but with this much combined action it's tough to see how 1 pair is good. MP+1 could be trapping, and what hands does BTN flat with after a bet and a call on this board lol? BTN probably weak but I'd say look for a better spot.

Bleh. Fold. If it were HU vs BB or MP+1 I think you could call but with this much combined action it's tough to see how 1 pair is good. MP+1 could be trapping, and what hands does BTN flat with after a bet and a call on this board lol? BTN probably weak but I'd say look for a better spot.

I know I can't be ahead of them all, and feel 100% sure I am behind BB. But with with how fast Beer guy and the Button both just called, I think they are both drawing.

So is it worth risking $100 or so to the BB to get a chance to win $500~ from the Button?

From the original post . . .

First thought is that Hero is potentially in the sort of situation that gives short stacks their edge over big stacks. Fortunately Hero has a premium hand rather than a speculative hand. Still, Hero will be torn between dealing with the big stack(s) and the shorter stack(s)

The $5 straddle makes the short stacks even shorter. $200 = 40bb. Even Hero isn't so deep now with 140bb

Hero needs to make the raise appropriate for a straddle hand. I'd try $20 to $25.

OK so Hero did go $25 and got three callers. The pot is $100 and there are two $175 stacks and button who covers Hero's $675 stack. I don't that I'd be wanting to get too excited about button being in the hand. For the most part, the two short stacks are not of great threat to Hero. Hero's attention needs to be on button. The tight short stacks and the loose deep stack is potential trouble.

Hero should bet, his hand likely isn't getting any better. I lean towards $80 to $100. My bias is to give up on a multiway pot and a flushing turn.

OK, hero bets $70 and gets called by the tight and loose player then check/jammed by the tightest player of them all. On a good day, the BB is tilt jamming on a draw while the other players are on a similar draw or a weaker king or the LAG is doing something adventurous. However, I think it is much more likely that Hero is in big trouble with his top pair hand.

I vote fold. If the button weren't playing deep, I could roll the dice and play for stacks - losing a lot of times but getting a good price to try for a win. But as it is, Hero is going to get pot committed before button acts and that leads to a RIO problem for a $1,200 side pot. Not my idea of a fun time. I kiss my $95 good bye.

DrStrange

Whether MP+1 is drawing or not, you have to beat both MP+1 and BB to win MP+1's money -- they are both playing $200 stacks.

So if the plan is to go after button to make up for a potential $200 loss to BB/MP+1, is the best way to get all the button's money by over-shoving to a BB shove with two left to act? Should you try to extract it over the next two streets? This also gives you the option to abort if it feels like he hits his draw.

A fold sucks, calling sucks, shoving sucks, just a whole big bag of suck you're in now. Really just depends now if you want to try and run it up in the big side pot or cut your losses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom