• This site contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase after clicking a link, Poker Chip Forum may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Not Mine “Ultimate” poker chip set at Costco (2 Viewers)

As an FYI, Chiplab sells "Versa" 1000, 500, 300 & 100 chip cases! I picked up a 300 and a 100, they are solid (heavy & wood-fortified) --> https://www.chiplab.com/poker-accessories/stock-poker-cases

I couldn’t find the 100 anywhere else.

Also, note occasional free shipping over $49 and with average Google search skills 20% off coupons can be found.

D2DEFBC4-37AE-43A7-9CCE-9A2D8CC83D70.jpeg

I’m curious what makes you think it’s another manufacturer? To me, the photos and the video make it look exactly like the versa cases

Actually not sure now, I assumed I knew more than I may have. How could one tell a "Versa" case from a case that looks like a Versa?

It does look like it is different than other versa cases. It will be interesting to see it when it gets here.
B623C0DB-E1A6-4A3B-AB49-BD3948BA589C.jpeg

My thoughts on this set.

Negatives:
Chip trays are indeed plastic. Case feels lighter as a result and therefore cheaper.
Latches also feel a little cheaper.
Chips are around 41mm wide (sorry no calipers)

Positives:
Chips are denominated and seemed to stack fine. Less slippery than matsuis I have felt.
I have have felt worse plastic cards and slugged chips so for what they are they are not terrible.
The case fits 43mm chips which I think is nice surprise.

I ordered this just for the case for a gift of a 400 STT chipset. Not sure if I am going to order more but considering it for my Sunfly 43mm. All in all not a bad deal still but if it was wooden I would have gotten a couple more cases for sure.

If the plastic trays are sturdy and the case is lighter, that sounds to me like a plus. But if the trays are thin, then it may be a pass

Good review @Chipandchair :tup:

400 ct cases are rare. I don't think you can do any better than $50 shipped so, provided there's no suspicion the latches or hinges are substandard, sounds like a good deal.

Thanks!

I believe that the holes are there because of the injection molding process. First they make the metal slug on a metal stamping machine. Then the metal slug gets put into a plastic injection mold, and the orange layer gets molded around it. Then the metal-and-orange-plastic slug is put into a second plastic injection mold, and the red layer is molded around that, producing the final blank chip. The blank gets the "inlay" sticker stuck to it on both sides and the chip is done.

The holes in the slugs are there to correctly position each slug within the subsequent plastic molds, so that nothing is misaligned or offcenter - this is called "registration". The holes fit over pins in the mold.

I haven't actually seen this done in person, so someone who has might correct me if I'm wrong.

Is that thing that looks like a hole actually a hole? If so, can you see any function behind it?
It is a hole in the metal slug. The other side is the back of the other label on the other side of the chip. I should also mention that the edges are square, more so than most other sluggos I have felt. The recess is large enough for a relabel which most sluggos do not allow so kind of nice. Thinking I am giving these chips to my nephew. Wound up ordering one more for the case and more chips for him.

I believe that the holes are there because of the injection molding process. First they make the metal slug on a metal stamping machine. Then the metal slug gets put into a plastic injection mold, and the orange layer gets molded around it. Then the metal-and-orange-plastic slug is put into a second plastic injection mold, and the red layer is molded around that, producing the final blank chip. The blank gets the "inlay" sticker stuck to it on both sides and the chip is done.

The holes in the slugs are there to correctly position each slug within the subsequent plastic molds, so that nothing is misaligned or offcenter - this is called "registration". The holes fit over pins in the mold.

I haven't actually seen this done in person, so someone who has might correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a hole in the metal slug. The other side is the back of the other label on the other side of the chip. I should also mention that the edges are square, more so than most other sluggos I have felt. The recess is large enough for a relabel which most sluggos do not allow so kind of nice. Thinking I am giving these chips to my nephew. Wound up ordering one more for the case and more chips for him.
Thanks guys. Pretty much what I figured, but I don't like the idea of a label and some air comprising the center of a chip. :cautious:

Thanks guys. Pretty much what I figured, but I don't like the idea of a label and some air comprising the center of a chip. :cautious:
I am a lover of clay and not sluggos so I am genuinely curious why the idea of a hole in the middle bothers you. For some reason when I saw it I thought that it looked well-engineered or at least more than dice chips slugs. The only high end plastics I have felt with square edges were the WSOP replica matsuis which I thought felt super smooth as a shuffle stack but also very slippery. These are less slippery IMO and very square edge if that is something you like

I am a lover of clay and not sluggos so I am genuinely curious why the idea of a hole in the middle bothers you. For some reason when I saw it I thought that it looked well-engineered or at least more than dice chips slugs. The only high end plastics I have felt with square edges were the WSOP replica matsuis which I thought felt super smooth as a shuffle stack but also very slippery. These are less slippery IMO and very square edge if that is something you like
I realize it's the center 1/8 of an inch, but I just see inevitable penetration (or at least indentation) for at least one or two.

EDIT: And the wear pattern is going to suck - incorporate it into your relabel design! ;)

Last edited:
I realize it's the center 1/8 of an inch, but I just see inevitable penetration (or at least indentation) for at least one or two.
Honestly though, after handling them, I think this is impossible unless you had a bullseye direct hit with a dart or other sharp object, not from regular play. The hole is small and the label is thick enough. I will try to put a gear sample label on it and see but seems like gear labels are just as thick, even the unlamented labels. Also, these chips are super cheap so if really looking in this price range they are super cheap and can be relabeled. Was thinking of relabeling the blue T1 to a T500

Also just noticing that there is no injection mold in the plastic which is likely why the hole is in the slug??? I do not know much about these types of chips to be honest

Last edited:
Also just noticing that there is no injection mold in the plastic which is likely which the hole is in the slug??? I do not know much about these types of chips to be honest
My guess is it's on the other side. Logic dictates that the pip would be in the under-label area. The center hole and four bare spots seem to be for positioning, so unless it's in the hole, it's on the other side?

Here’s a metal slugged sample that I’ve had for at least 15 years. Similar holes in the label area, no center hole.
850DD3B4-84F9-4BAB-8884-7144A1F794CD.jpeg

C84CCC45-FAE8-4F24-B30E-F57213CA525E.jpeg

Here’s a metal slugged sample that I’ve had for at least 15 years. Similar holes in the label area, no center hole.
View attachment 572312
View attachment 572313
I think holes in the chip are more common for cheaper Injection molded chips, as the more expensive ones I’ve murdered just show blank plastic, or they’re blank with a metal slug in the center.

I actually have a video of an injection molding machine for poker chips I found today. The machining process is separate, but it shows the gist of how it’s done and shows them being injected in the sides.
I have no idea what I just watched. I kept waiting for this guy to start spitting chips out of his mouth, lol:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
D9DD69CB-E448-4A14-9B49-92CD5C17E487.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom