Using the table as storage for poker chips (2 Viewers)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I have a chip problem - way too many chips are stored on the floor. (Don't even suggest selling some of them - what kind of guy do you think I am ! ? ) So I am looking for solutions.

Early this month I was reading a thread about Tony Chan's poker tables while also searching for antique government flat file cabinets. It struck me that a custom table might be built where the pedestal is also a storage area for chips. We traded notes for a while and Tony came up with this:

" I've made up a draft of a poker table with a base that has poker chip storage as per our discussions over at PCF. The legs I've mocked up are 20" wide by 71.5" long and 26" tall. Each drawer is 18"x21.5" which fits 12 chip trays. The base is able to hold 12 drawers which is a total of 14,400 chips. The row at the very top won't be usable since there isn't enough space between the underside of the poker table and the top of the drawer to stick your hand into, so it will have dummy faces to simulate more drawers.

The base does look a little fat. Normally the base for a table is about 20-26" wide, however it normally narrows in the middle and has just a large footprint for balance. In the first draft the entire base is 20" wide all the way to the underside of the poker table which I think may be in the way of players' legs. "

OK! this could work. 14,400 chips off the floor would be an excellent start. 20 inches wide doesn't seem too much, though it leaves only ~14 inches on each side for the player's legs which is not so much.

This might be a problem, so a test was in order. I built a slap-dash cardboard mock up that would fit under my current table and held a game.

I told my players why the boxes were there and ask them for their impressions.

When they first sat down, the group consensus was "no big deal" and "we can live with this". That sounded promising. Let's shuffle up and deal!

By the end of the first hour a couple of players are suggesting a raised unit leaving a few inches of space for their feet.

Three hours in I had one player beg me to take the boxes out because her legs were aching and her back hurt. So out with the boxes ending the test.

I decided that the pedestal was going to end up a lot like an airline seat. At the start of the day it isn't so restrictive but over time the cramped space was going to prove a slow-burn problem that would grow to a big deal at the end of the session.

Thoughts would be appreciated but quell any notion of selling chips.

Drat! I had such hopes -=- DrStrange

PS the chips in the background are Empress. Better pictures of this scene are posted elsewhere.

But Sir, how ever will I get them back when I want to play a game? That's a whole lot of shipping since we play 40 times a year.

DrStrange

But Sir, how ever will I get them back when I want to play a game? That's a whole lot of shipping since we play 40 times a year.

DrStrange

:) We can cross that bridge once I have these beautiful chips in hand

Slight threadjack with a small solution.

I have a huge storage problem in AZ. All my stuff is in my closet at dad's house. Had to move them under the queen bed. I went to Target and bought Rubbermaid or similar big flat storage bins made for under the bed use. In racks that can handle a bunch. They are protected from light, water, and my dad's house is far less likely to burn down than my mountain home in Colorado. Mapes, Mardi gras v1 and all high denoms are in a medium fireproof safe!

Very, very cool idea. My immediate concerns were addressed in your points below the pics. I'm not sure if you could come up with something that would a) have enough storage for chips and b) not interfere with players' feet and legs. Could you go longer and narrower than the test cardboard box cabinet?

May I suggest Sarge? $250 shipped or Costco.

Seville Ultra HD 6-drawer Rolling Cart (tool chest) Holds 1400/drawer, bottom can stack 4 deep for 12,600 total. Add 700 chip tray to top for 13,300 total. Drawers support lots of weight.

uploadfromtaptalk1440786648485.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1440786675209.jpg

If you're set on using the space under the table, a raised (ala airplane seat height) cabinet to allow for feet (toe kick concept) might work? And the drawers don't have to be super deep to be useful... Enough space for two rows deep of chip racks in each drawer? Spaced around 3" from top of drawer to top of drawer should allow enough clearance for numerous drawers in the cabinet. I wouldn't even consider one drawer for the entire width (too cumbersome). I'd do two banks of drawers. More hardware/cost/effort, but would be more sturdy and usable IMHO.

I think we might explore building the table top where it lifts off and a storage area resides underneath. It wouldn't hold 14,000+ chips but maybe 8,000 or 9,000?

I totally agree with Trever - comfort is king.

DrStrange

May I suggest Sarge? $250 shipped or Costco.

Seville Ultra HD 6-drawer Rolling Cart (tool chest) Holds 1400/drawer, bottom can stack 4 deep for 12,600 total. Add 700 chip tray to top for 13,300 total. Drawers support lots of weight.

View attachment 16441

View attachment 16442

Are the drawers ball bearing and slide with ease fully loaded?

I think we might explore building the table top where it lifts off and a storage area resides underneath. It wouldn't hold 14,000+ chips but maybe 8,000 or 9,000?

I totally agree with Trever - comfort is king.

DrStrange

This is what I would do if you're really trying to save some space and hide your chips. It's really not that hard either, I have a table that I did something similar with, except the storage space is used to hold folding legs for the occasion where I want to make my nice pedestal table mobile. Here's a couple of cross sections to show how it works:

Table fully assembled:
SECTION_EXPLODE_01B_zpsf37ae5f9.png

Poker top lifts off:
SECTION_EXPLODE_02B_zps94caaf8d.png

So instead of the folding legs you see in these sections, you could store racks and racks of chips. Here's are some photos of the table:

Fully assembled:
IMG_7385.jpg

With the poker top off, exposing the storage area:
IMG_7409.jpg

The biggest downside to this that I see is that you'd need some help lifting off the top to get to your chips. You may be able to add some hinges to one side so that you can just lift up one side of the poker top to access the storage instead of lifting the top completely off.

Additional build information is available on PMC:

http://perfectmancave.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24187

Good luck with the build, sounds like a fun project :)

Just an idea and would be very expensive but what about custom chairs with locking drawers. Chairs would have to hold less then 2,000 (assuming 10 chairs). Would make them very sturdy with the added mass at the base.

Nomad's idea is probably more reasonable.

Hmmm... spitballing... what if you had the whole top of the table (surface & rail) on gliders?

Build two rails like a drawer, have one edge of the table front pull out like a drawer front, and the whole top slides off.

Rough sketch:

View attachment 16452

Use these as glides:

http://www.woodworkerexpress.com/Si...0-lb.-Ball-Bearing-Slides-44-Zinc-Plated.html

Center of gravity issues if you slide it more than about 60% of the width.

What about a racetrack design where only the playing surface lifts out? Much lighter that way. Use some magnets to hold it down and have a lever to pop up one side. You could do a felted racetrack if you don't like wood ones.

2 semi-circles as your pedestal legs with shelving built into them instead of a single base on the inside might be an idea, but it would probably be a stretch to fit ~15000 chips in them.

Center of gravity issues if you slide it more than about 60% of the width.

The kind of under-table Irish posted is pretty beefy, as are many pedestal base designs - and don't shortchange the fact that he won't be taking all his sets out at once. It will take some intentionality in the build - including, perhaps, mounting the pedestal a little to one side of center - but I think it's quite doable.

My bigger concern would be flex/instability in the playing surface while in use. Don't want it tapping the base... yet, you don't want it scraping when you open/close it, either. Tricky, and a little warpage makes a big problem.

Are the drawers ball bearing and slide with ease fully loaded?
Yes. And it locks. I just don't see the advantages of table storage with accessibility and cost for customization if u have room for a Sarge. With no tray on top, it's a surface for food, whatever. It's not portable and takes time to assemble but is best I've come up with, and I have two stacks of map cabinets also.

My problem for space is the poker room is all windows, doors and fireplace. Like three walls of windows/doors and one wall with a fireplace. It is light, airy and green during the day - hard to keep cool and warm in the harshest months offering little space for more storage. Something low profile like the flat file cabinets would work too but those things are expensive. Very pretty, but expensive.

DrStrange

Two racks deep is only 16" or so. I still think you could do a custom base and include 17" deep chip storage drawers. Raise them up to allow for a toe-kick, and then you have access to the chips without disrupting the table surface/play/etc... I wouldn't want any storage that required moving the table top, as you might want to have access to chips/cards/etc... during a game (ie. show off some chips, or access them for your current game needs).

When you first mentioned the idea of chip storage inside the base, I thought that was an awesome idea. I really hope it comes to fruition. :)

There is all sorts of "friction" building a drawer. Every wall, edge and bit of hardware consumes space. And remember - those chips are heavy! We can't get away with 1/4" wooden construction because the weight will rip the drawer apart. Maybe we could save a couple of inches with steel construction rather than wood. Or we could save space by going to a different rack configuration - storing fewer chips but giving more leg room.

It is a work in progress. The first iteration didn't work out. Good thing we tested before building it! We'll try something else.

DrStrange

I had custom drawers made, and they needed to reinforced. They are 22" deep and 31" wide. Hardwood const. W/ reinforced bottoms, thicker sidewalls, etc... I used super industrial full extension soft close glides, and by my measure, even with the reinforcements, you could easily get by with an 18-19" outer dimension for your base, and might alleviate the legroom issue by raising the "cabinet" 6" off the floor, to allow toe room.

What if we took Irish's idea but instead of one hollow space, we put two. So within the first hollowed space, we tiered it down to put another hollow space to fit another layer of racks. This could create enough room for 2 layers of racks in the middle and 1 layer where it's only deep enough for 1 rack. The bottom layer alone should be able to fit over 7k chips.

Screenshot 2015-08-28 23.38.58.png

Also, rather than a top that has to be removed to access the chips, you could have a hinge on one side and gas lift support struts to keep it lifted up like some car hoods:
QL-SUBARU-LEGACY-0509.jpg

Last edited:
What if we took Irish's idea but instead of one hollow space, we put two. So within the first hollowed space, we tiered it down to put another hollow space to fit another layer of racks. This could create enough room for 2 layers of racks in the middle and 1 layer where it's only deep enough for 1 rack. The bottom layer alone should be able to fit over 7k chips.

View attachment 16488

Also, rather than a top that has to be removed to access the chips, you could have a hinge on one side and gas lift support struts to keep it lifted up like some car hoods:
QL-SUBARU-LEGACY-0509.jpg

I was going to suggest the exact same thing.

Go big or go home. Ball screws would be slick as shit. Just press a button and the table pivots open.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom