Relabel Travel set of slugged chips...yes? no? Maybe? (1 Viewer)

Strike1st

Straight
Reaction score
I bought a 1000 showdown chips for Tourneys and Cash Games at deer and fishing camps...these are on that sword and spade "mold".

The chips aren't horrible and serve there purpose...usually needing rescued from pools of cheap spilled beer and the occasional crown and coke.

Not a huge fan of the labels but then again...see above.

My daughter and I were watching Disney sword in the stone and I had an idea...almost too corny for the mold but hey...

I thought maybe an Excalibur theme...sword in anvil on stone...small spade on stone...tie into edge...with a denom...

The Excalibur Club or Excalibur Club

or some hunt fish theme?

I don't know again...they're cheap ass chips...

push me one way or the other...they would definitely be @Gear labels...something with a hint of texture.

I have many times considered relabeling several different low-level chips (some slugged, some not) with new artwork that I found more interesting or insert-reason-here, and in the end, could never justify the expense of the high-quality labels vs the low cost/value of the chips. If I'm going to spend twice (or more) as much on good labels as the cheap chips underneath, I may as well splurge a bit on the base chip and end up with something that is a lot more playable (and theoretically more enjoyable).

On the other hand, I still have all of those old low-level chips laying around.....

I have many times considered relabeling several different low-level chips (some slugged, some not) with new artwork that I found more interesting or insert-reason-here, and in the end, could never justify the expense of the high-quality labels vs the low cost/value of the chips. If I'm going to spend twice (or more) as much on good labels as the cheap chips underneath, I may as well splurge a bit on the base chip and end up with something that is a lot more playable (and theoretically more enjoyable).

On the other hand, I still have all of those old low-level chips laying around.....

That's where I've been at...

It would've been easier if used chip values weren't so high.

Yeah thats a tough call. I've definitely thought about that as well but like mentioned before cant justify the cost. I remember one of my first chip sets...Nexgen Lucky Bees. Loved them at the time and I was able to get 1000 labels for $60 from Jason (Hogwild? Or something like that from CT). Labels were nothing special but perfect for a low end set.

This isn't a bad idea. I know of a few members who have chips like the ones mentioned in the OP that are used as travel sets. However, I have to agree that ordering 2000 top-of-the-line labels for these chips kind of negates the whole idea.

You can do DIY labels for even cheaper than good (Gear or Palm) labels, but I for one do not mind polishing up a cheap chip to make it more meaningful or unique, even if the labels wind up costing more than the chip.
img_0364-jpg.18925

img_0368-jpg.19431

@Poker Zombie
Did you use a service like Vistaprint and just upload your design and have them print them on sticker sheets? Or is it easy enough to just buy the sticker sheets and print them yourself. I assume theres a program that will help you align the printable designs with the round sticker labels so your're not just guessing?

Last edited:
Those I had done by Palm. I also have some Paulson Private Cardrooms that I just used label sheets to label up. The label sheet labels held up for years (and are still good), but they look amateurish compared to the Palm Labels. I will also be doing more labels on the Majestic chips when they come in as well. 29¢ chips, 30¢ labels.

Love the Zombie Poker Club cash chips, but those are sort of a special case in the sense that no company makes inlaid chips with that spot pattern.

Otherwise I agree with Dave that the cost of the labels can't really be justified. Especially considering I can get top of the line ceramics for .60 each.

Love the Zombie Poker Club cash chips, but those are sort of a special case in the sense that no company makes inlaid chips with that spot pattern.

Otherwise I agree with Dave that the cost of the labels can't really be justified. Especially considering I can get top of the line ceramics for .60 each.

Jack,

I never put much thought into ceramics...do you have any you prefer?

Jack,

I never put much thought into ceramics...do you have any you prefer?

I always thought Chipco produced the best ceramic chips on the market hands down. Since their dissolution, Game On Chip Company has continued on with their identical production methods. Last I saw a quote from them they were around .60 each and I think that's a deal.

PGI also produces a ceramic chip on a blank that is said to be a replica of the old Chipco style. I've seen a little variance within the PGI line, though. Personally, I would (and will with my next order) go with GOCC.

This was discussed previously in threads here and here and more recently here.

I always thought Chipco produced the best ceramic chips on the market hands down. Since their dissolution, Game On Chip Company has continued on with their identical production methods. Last I saw a quote from them they were around .60 each and I think that's a deal.

PGI also produces a ceramic chip on a blank that is said to be a replica of the old Chipco style. I've seen a little variance within the PGI line, though. Personally, I would (and will with my next order) go with GOCC.

The search feature is my friend...or should be.

Thanks Jack!

I was just quoted around .89/chip from GOCC. I just wanted to throw that out there. Their chips are awesome though.

I was just quoted around .89/chip from GOCC. I just wanted to throw that out there. Their chips are awesome though.

For what quantity of chips?

For a 1000 piece tourney set.

I know toad mentioned .85 each here, but I know that I've heard .60 each even apart from the sale that went on a couple months ago.

Maybe we can get the @GameOnChipCompany rep who posts here to clarify. What is the price per 39mm chip from the Protech series? What are the quantity discounts and when do they kick in? Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, the price depends on A. how many you are ordering and B. if you add on any features such as aligned faces, UV, serial numbers, etc. Best bet is to give us a shout and we will quote you based on what you are looking for. In general, anything under 2000 pieces will start off at 85¢ for the 39mm Protech.

Hi everyone, the price depends on A. how many you are ordering and B. if you add on any features such as aligned faces, UV, serial numbers, etc. Best bet is to give us a shout and we will quote you based on what you are looking for. In general, anything under 2000 pieces will start off at 85¢ for the 39mm Protech.

Thanks for the response!

FYI I spoke more with @GameOnChipCompany and the quantity price break at 2000 chips brings the price down to .60/each. Aligned faces/edges is a .10/each fee and adding UV graphics is a .06/each fee. I'd be unlikely to do a design that would need aligned edges, but it would be sweet to have UV markings on the $100 and higher chips.

Maybe I was remembering the .60 price because the set I would put together would be between 2k and 3k chips, so I just remembered the price that would apply in that case. Definitely a steal at .60 each imo and the price break is enticing. If I were putting together a 1k-chip set at $850, I don't know that I could resist doubling my order for $350 more.

FYI I spoke more with @GameOnChipCompany and the quantity price break at 2000 chips brings the price down to .60/each. Aligned faces/edges is a .10/each fee and adding UV graphics is a .06/each fee. I'd be unlikely to do a design that would need aligned edges, but it would be sweet to have UV markings on the $100 and higher chips.

Maybe I was remembering the .60 price because the set I would put together would be between 2k and 3k chips, so I just remembered the price that would apply in that case. Definitely a steal at .60 each imo and the price break is enticing. If I were putting together a 1k-chip set at $850, I don't know that I could resist doubling my order for $350 more.
What set were you looking to put together?

What set were you looking to put together?

If I went for a Chipco/Game On set I'd only do customs. If you meant labeled slugged chips, I think there are a fair number of decent choices, but again, for the cost I don't see how I could go labeled slugged over custom Game On.

If I went for a Chipco/Game On set I'd only do customs. If you meant labeled slugged chips, I think there are a fair number of decent choices, but again, for the cost I don't see how I could go labeled slugged over custom Game On.
Well the reason I was asking was whether you needed someone going on with you on a mini GOCC group buy to get the price down. I always love spending money :)

I would say it depends largely on your group/audience. I bought a bunch of what I would consider to be very nice "cheap-assed" chips and used Chris (Gear) to label them. The biggest reason is the crowd, my co-workers don't know what a "nice" chip is. I was/am still trying to build a membership so wanted to get The Silver Club "out there". Some of these guys I don't even like particularly so I sure as shit don't want to use anything remotely close a Paulson chip. I say go for it. Besides it's fun to watch any idea you get come to fruition. Even if it means putting sprinkles on "dog-shit"

Well the reason I was asking was whether you needed someone going on with you on a mini GOCC group buy to get the price down. I always love spending money :)

Aaaah, I gotcha. My GOCC plans are second or third in line at the moment, but yeah, when I get it going, I'll post something to see if anyone else wants to get on board. I'll be hitting the 2k-chip mark with my order so if anyone wants anything they'll be guaranteed the lower price at least.

I would say it depends largely on your group/audience. I bought a bunch of what I would consider to be very nice "cheap-assed" chips and used Chris (Gear) to label them. The biggest reason is the crowd, my co-workers don't know what a "nice" chip is. I was/am still trying to build a membership so wanted to get The Silver Club "out there". Some of these guys I don't even like particularly so I sure as shit don't want to use anything remotely close a Paulson chip. I say go for it. Besides it's fun to watch any idea you get come to fruition. Even if it means putting sprinkles on "dog-shit"

Yeah that's all fair and it's completely understandable that someone would prefer china clays to ceramics (even the best ceramics) so I could see someone in that position going for custom labels over custom ceramics. I was just speaking for my own preferences. If I could get custom labeled Majestics for a total of $.40-ish each, I'd have already pulled the trigger.

Aaaah, I gotcha. My GOCC plans are second or third in line at the moment, but yeah, when I get it going, I'll post something to see if anyone else wants to get on board. I'll be hitting the 2k-chip mark with my order so if anyone wants anything they'll be guaranteed the lower price at least.

Yeah that's all fair and it's completely understandable that someone would prefer china clays to ceramics (even the best ceramics) so I could see someone in that position going for custom labels over custom ceramics. I was just speaking for my own preferences. If I could get custom labeled Majestics for a total of $.40-ish each, I'd have already pulled the trigger.
Sounds awesome, keep us informed! Unless the custom art looks terrible, I'll be in for a decent amount....

Ok even if it's terrible I'll still get a 300 set :)

FWIW, I spent many hours (with a designer) to produce amazing relabeled "Bucky's Poker Den" chips, on plastic slugged wheat-ear chips. This was a collosal effort, and then I had to apply labels to all those 1000 chips. In the end, I had a set of chips, that I was very proud of (as an entry into the chip realm). However, these quickly (I mean quickly) fell to the way-side and never saw play time. Even for cheap travel sets, I used other chips... I say if you're gonna have a set of chips for the cabin, just keep the cheapo chips as-is.

If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

ps. I wound up selling those Bucky's chips to a good local friend, at a huge loss...

FWIW, I spent many hours (with a designer) to produce amazing relabeled "Bucky's Poker Den" chips, on plastic slugged wheat-ear chips. This was a collosal effort, and then I had to apply labels to all those 1000 chips. In the end, I had a set of chips, that I was very proud of (as an entry into the chip realm). However, these quickly (I mean quickly) fell to the way-side and never saw play time. Even for cheap travel sets, I used other chips... I say if you're gonna have a set of chips for the cabin, just keep the cheapo chips as-is.

If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

ps. I wound up selling those Bucky's chips to a good local friend, at a huge loss...
I put lipstick on a pig once.

Someone asked, "Why did you do that?"

I had no good reply.

After awhile they asked, "what are you doing with lipstick anyway? And get off my farm!"

^ Trihonda speaks the truth from experience. Many of us have also traveled that road, and wasted money in various ways while by doing so.

Generally speaking, the primary allure of cheap chips is that they are inexpensive when compared to mid-range or high-end chips (whether or not this is actually true long-term is debatable). However, once you start dressing them up as something they are not, that allure quickly fades away..... because at their 'new' price point, something much nicer is usually available. Going into a supposedly low-budget custom project with tunnel vision usually results in spending money that cannot be recovered, and results in a product that is not worth the sum of it's parts.

Part of the allure of high-end chips is their ability to typically hold value over time. Buy a really nice expensive set, use it for a while, and then sell it (maybe at a small loss, perhaps break-even, or occasionally at a small profit). Regardless of which happens, it's like either paying an extremely low rental fee, renting the chips for free, or actually getting paid to use some very nice chips. Then rinse and repeat. It's a wonderful life, and makes the most financial sense to me, by far. I get to play with many baller sets, and usually for far less long-term expenditure than many people pay for using low-grade junk chips. I just wish I'd figured it out earlier.

But I digress. Like Erik mentions above, just keep the cheapo chips as-is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom