Picking a mold... (2 Viewers)

I got them like this too but lost the list long ago. I've stared at them so much though that I know which is which by now.

Someone(rimmerryan?) on big blue had a photo color chart with all the chips labeled from all the major manufacturers. Paulson, BCC, Chipco, ASM, TRK, maybe one other? IIRC, the ASM chart doesn't have all the currently available colors, but it's a start

The purpose of these are to be passed around, would only take one unintentional incorrect packing and the list won't matter. That's assuming the list lasts for years, multiple individuals handling the list. Even a sharpie would probably wear off over time. I would just think smarter and less chance of potential error.

Another thing... we should try to find someone who could do a good pantone color match and list the colors properly coded in several formats - including coded properly for the print method used to produce CPC inlays.

Useful for ensuring mockups and test prints are accurate, and very useful for people who wish to color-match in their inlays.

Rich - out of this picture, are you able to point out the assorted reds, pinks, and lavenders for me?

Here's all my ASM/CPC samples, not including samples from members sets.

Top 2 rows are the FDL color sample set. Middle left are 2 sets of A mold samples, middle right are H molds from Apache. Bottom left are 2 scroll molds from PGI, bottom right are one chip each of individual molds.

The molds are:

Diamond square
B diamond
Textured no mold
A mold
FDL
Cards and dice
Circle square
Hourglass
H mold
Horse head right

Another thing... we should try to find someone who could do a good pantone color match and list the colors properly coded in several formats - including coded properly for the print method used to produce CPC inlays.

Useful for ensuring mockups and test prints are accurate, and very useful for people who wish to color-match in their inlays.

I think it's been tried before but I think there are some issues with slight color variations with different batches of clay.

Got the color samples today....

20150430_174121.jpg

20150430_181320.jpg

Another pic so your neck doesn't hurt. :cool:. I'll be sending these to our site photographer (Norcal) :D to be photographed for the resource section.

I started trying to list out the colors that I already had in the various CPC chips in my collection, but it got difficult pretty quickly.

Some mold samples came in today. B-mold and A-mold shipping from UK.

20150501_142205.jpg

Other molds came in...

20150504_180033.jpg
20150504_180038.jpg
20150504_180056.jpg

I really like the B-Mold the most for my Broken Bell chips BUT it has the smallest area for an inlay...exactly 7/8" That means there is zero room for error. An off center inlay would get into the inner circle. For that reason, I do not think I will be using the B-mold now.

I really like the B-Mold the most for my Broken Bell chips BUT it has the smallest area for an inlay...exactly 7/8" That means there is zero room for error. An off center inlay would get into the inner circle. For that reason, I do not think I will be using the B-mold now.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet, Tommy. I think it'd be a great mold for that set, and lots of surface area on the edges. Maybe review some B mold examples to see how they turned out, but I'd be tempted to ask if they can do 1" inlays. Plenty of room for overlap on the circle, and the web site lists 1 1/16" as an option for that mold.

I'm not a fan of that style on CPC chips. :cool: I'm back to the A mold or HHR now.

I don't recall ever seeing any B-mold chips with inlays that crossed the line.

I don't recall ever seeing any B-mold chips with inlays that crossed the line.

This has been my experience also. From what I've seen, the closer the inlay size is to the "area" the more accurate they have been.

From Dave99's awesome set on CT

And iirc these were from ASM Vegas. So imagine what Jimb's quality would be like.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It would seem that if the inlay were placed beyond the inner mold circle, then when the chip was pressed, the mold's rim pressing the edge of the inlay would either slide it into place, or else cause it to tip - likely causing a reject. Either way, inlays pressed into the ridge would be rare - IF that's how it works.

The FDL is nice too. I had a few extra labels so I was just messing around. :)

20150505_012927.jpg

I'm going to use B mold on my next CPC if DiaSqu isn't available. I like the idea of having more room for inlays, however, my eye likes them small. I want to see the chip and that is the only reason FDL would be a third choice.

With a theme like broken bell, it would be tough to steer away from the B mold. If you can get the art right, B mold is the only good option.

IMHO the inlay design/style would drive the mold, or visa versa - depending on your higher preference (mold or inlay). If you really wanted a bigger inlay with a nice detailed graphic, I think the FDL showcases this the best, followed by A, CSQ and HG. If you want a more old-school chip with a smaller, simpler inlay or hotstamp, than I'd go with either HHR, DSQ, B or Jockey.

Based on some of the graphics in your Broken Bell thread, I like inlay #6 on the FDL (so far :) )...

B.JPG

I don't know...looks pretty sweet to me!

But then again, I've never handled B mold chips.

Last edited:
Would it be crazy for me to get some vinyl labels made and put them on the blanks to get an idea how it will look? o_O

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom