Home Show (1 Viewer)

T_Chan

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Earlier this year in March I did my first home show at the BC Home & Garden show where I got a 10'x15' booth. I've signed up for another one coming up at the end of October, the BC Home & Design show. I'm in the process of making a solid Oak dining table cover for the display model poker table I'm using. It's the same table as the last home show which is a 42"x88" oval table with genuine leather rail.

A few things I'm changing is that my booth will be smaller this time, 10'x10' and I'm going to add some gold leaf to the claw feet of the table and the suits in the stretcher. Instead of using 2 full sized tables, I'll be doing 1 full size table and mini tables at 50% scale as examples.

Table in point:
IMG_5154.JPG
IMG_5167.JPG

My display from last year:

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG

The topper I'm building for it will be dyed black to match. I'm thinking of adding a gold leaf inlay inset from the edge of the table to match the rest of the table but undecided.

2016-09-25 12.49.09.jpg

2016-09-25 12.49.05.jpg

Mini tables are in the works, so far just the bases are done. That giant wood slab is on my CNC machine so until that's done I can't cut the tops for the mini tables.

Full size table behind it. Plastic fill is still on these so the look very unfinished.

2016-09-25 13.13.33.jpg

Spray can for scale:

2016-09-25 13.14.30.jpg

How many tables do you have to make to hit your break-even point? This is probably your best method of advertising, IMO.

I get that questions a lot, "how many tables do you have to sell for XYZ". It's not all that easy to calculate since tables range in price by quite a bit, from $525 all the way up to $10k.

It's even harder to tell in the case of the home show because expenses incurred are a bit wacky, to put it in technical terms.

Last home show I rented the booth for a few thousand, then paid the insurance, parking, build 2 tables, bought brochures, business cards, signage, carpets, rented a touchscreen display, etc... Leftovers from the last show which I'll be using again include 1 of the 2 tables (the other was given away as a prize), carpet, signage, brochures and a lot of the samples.

I just bank on people buying tables as a result of the home show as well as get my name out there. 40,000 unique visitors who are mostly home owners is a very good target audience. The only better audience I can think of is if I had a booth in the hallway of the Rio during the WSOP.

Leftovers from the last show which I'll be using again include 1 of the 2 tables (the other was given away as a prize)...

That's quite the prize. That emerald lady above is elegant as all get out.

Yeah, the prize was a last minute decision. Originally I was going to give away some wood chip trays but there wasn't much interest from the general public. A flashing poker table on the other hand...

I just moved into the Home Show today, got mostly everything setup and my first show day is Thursday and goes till Sunday.

I still need to hang some banners on the side walls. The mini table on the left has a suited diffuser which lights up. I'm going to set it on color fade during the show.

2016-10-25 18.07.44.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom